Author Topic: Bypass the Clutch switch?  (Read 10807 times)

Offline GSRider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
  • No doobt, eh?
    • Visit me over at esportbike.com!
Bypass the Clutch switch?
« on: October 16, 2005, 12:28:39 AM »
Okay, so I perused the search function for the last 20 minutes trying to see if I could get lucky with this, and either I am an idiot (Could be) or am really drunk (It is, after all, Oktoberfest, and I'm on my 8th beer)

So, I am getting really sick of having to pull in the clutch to start the GS, and would like to know if there is a way to bypass this altogether.

I also installed new bar end mirrors to replace the Enco (Crap, I say! Crap!) bar end mirrors I used to have. The mirrors kind of get in the way of the clutch lever...it doesn't allow the lever to come in all the way, as is required for starting the engine, but NOT for shifting (I usually only pull the clutch in half way, I like quick shifts :mrgreen:).

So, is it possible to bypass the gayest possible safety switch, how hard would it be to do, and how long would it take (In beer consumption, of course...1 beer job, 6 beer job, etc)

Thanks! :thumb:
www.esportbike.com

K&N lunchbox, Jardine ss full system, Factory Stage 3, Progressive springs, Tommaselli fully adjustable bars, Pro Grips, Bar end mirrors, LP signals, clear tail light, EBC front rotor, ss brake lines, Pirelli Sport Demons, Works rear shock

Offline Narcissus

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 12:35:12 AM »
Someone at the local bike shop had a hard time starting my bike while they were doing an MVI and they said I could get rid of the switch by just splicing the wires together. I haven't done it yet though, I get it everytime, just make my grip stronger  :lol:
04' GS500

Offline blue05twin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 12:51:30 AM »
There are two wires under the clutch handle pull them off and reverse the switch ( take the part that the wires plug into off the bike, reverse it and reattach to bike)  put the wires back on and you should be able to start the bike without pulling in the cluch handle.

Or you can just pull the two wires out get a paper clip and connect the wires with the paper clip.  It will start without the clutch.
Pilot 22.5, Mid 65 , Mains 147.5, Mixture screw 3.5 turns out

Even if the voices aren't real they have some good ideas.

Offline dgyver

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • woof woof
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 02:42:49 AM »
Like already said, all you need need to do is connect the two wires going to the clutch switch.

But.....be careful, starting a bike in gear without having the clutch pulled it can a surprise for you and a good laugh for others.
Common sense in not very common.

Offline callmelenny

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 03:12:17 AM »
Those switches are cheap and crappy.  :x

Mine is currently bypassed b/c I got sick of cleaning it to get it working again. I cut some thin metal to make a plug, the taped the thing behind the headlamp. I still pull the clutch on every start though.
Larry Boles o
'79 GS850  /-_         
______(o)>(o)
'92 Honda V45 Sabre
'98 GS 500 SOLD ...

Offline Soaring

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 09:07:10 AM »
when I broke mine I just unscrewed the headlamp and somewhere there I just unplugged the wires from the switch, reconnecting the circuit without them. didn't have to do anything (splice wires, etc) except for just actually taking the switch wires out of the circuit. makes life much easier I got to admit...
'90 GS

Offline kvgs

• Formula Extreme Racer
  • KVGS
    • My page
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 03:42:02 PM »
That clutch switch isnt all bad. You dont want to start the bike when its in gear and not know it, she'll hop out from under you. That would kinda stink. So I can see the reasoning for having it.
1995 GS
SM Bars, Fenderectomy, LP signals,
more to come I need more $$

Offline JamesG

• lowly peon
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Architeuthis dux
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 04:11:47 PM »
The clutch switch is a bit of safety over kill on Suzuki's part.  In gear, the bike won't start with the side stand down anyway, and generally you will only get a couple of lurches from the starter if you forget and attempt an ingear start while sitting on it before you let go of the starter (or the bike will squirt out from under you).

The first mod I do on any Suzuki I get is the short the clutch switch. I like being able to crank up the bike to warm up in the morning while I put my gear on, and having to use both hands sucks.

I use a piece of U shaped wire to short the switch wire. Taped up and doubled back into the wiring harness. That way on resale you can restore it to stock condition.
James Greeson
GS Posse
WERA #306

Offline funwithtwins

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 07:37:22 PM »
just remove the switch and leave it in the on position tucked behind your headlamp , then as an anti theft or when your buddy that likes to ride it is comming over just switch it off and say damn it wont start man .
94GSXR750,D&D PIPE,JETTED, INDIVIDUAL AIR FILTERS, FRESH FLAT BLACK PAINT, LOWER FAIRING REMOVAL, CARBON FIBER SIGNALS,

Offline kvgs

• Formula Extreme Racer
  • KVGS
    • My page
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 09:39:44 PM »
I like the switch idea! cheapest bike security ive seen. A key triggerd switch would be really cool.
Like mount this baby somewere
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=549950
I'll tell you what me and my electrical ideas
1995 GS
SM Bars, Fenderectomy, LP signals,
more to come I need more $$

Offline JamesG

• lowly peon
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Architeuthis dux
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 10:46:13 AM »
That is a cool idea for an anti-theft device.

problem is alot of thieves haul off thier victims first instead of trying to drive them away. then they either break them up or will at least have plenty of time to figure out why it doesn't run.
James Greeson
GS Posse
WERA #306

Offline falcon0321

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 06:02:51 PM »
Not to be captain obvious but the bike should start in neutral without pulling the clutch in.  If it doesnt you may want to check your neutral switch.
Kalifornia Pool & Spa
CRA #515
89 & 93 GS500

davipu

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 06:18:19 PM »
nope. as the starter relay power goes from the batt to the clutch swich to the starter relay.   if it is a stock system then it should never start with the clutch out.  the netural switch and the kickstand switches are both on the ground side of the circut.

Offline RVertigo

• PostWhore Extraordinaire
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 06:19:10 PM »
Quote from: falcon0321
the bike should start in neutral without pulling the clutch in
Not stock...

You have to have the clutch in...  On a stock setup anyway.

Offline aaronstj

• I'm a biker rebel
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Elitist nancy boy
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 08:49:56 PM »
Quote from: blue05twin
There are two wires under the clutch handle pull them off and reverse the switch ( take the part that the wires plug into off the bike, reverse it and reattach to bike)  put the wires back on and you should be able to start the bike without pulling in the cluch handle.

Of course, then it won't start with the clutch in. :)
1992 Blue Monday, Wileyco, lunchbox, 150/40/3/1, Srinath bars, progressives, fenderectomy

Borak: How come Ogg use one spear, Borak need three?
Ogg: Not spear, caveman.

Offline Roadstergal

• MissBikeALot
  • Motorcycle God!
  • Hoppy McGimptress
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2005, 08:53:16 PM »
Quote from: JamesG
The clutch switch is a bit of safety over kill on Suzuki's part.

It might be a US requirement; every bike I've ridden has that lock.  Just like cars.  My '86 E30 didn't have a clutch switch, though, and that was useful for working on the car - you could just reach in the window and start it.  More of an issue for cars; with bikes, the clutch is right there, so it isn't a bother.

Offline blue05twin

• World Superbike Racer
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2005, 09:13:40 PM »
Actually after you reverse it it will start with the clutch pulled in.  Mine broke did the search and found out about the paper clip (from Kerry) and the revereing the switch from Ali.  Mine will start with the clutch pulled in or if you leave it out.
Pilot 22.5, Mid 65 , Mains 147.5, Mixture screw 3.5 turns out

Even if the voices aren't real they have some good ideas.