Author Topic: How to Check The Oil inthe GS500  (Read 14635 times)

Offline Phaedrus

• Honorary Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • 8-20-1980 to 7-1-2006. Goodbye dear friend.
How to Check The Oil inthe GS500
« on: December 12, 2005, 05:31:08 PM »
Ok, I am going to be adding this to the gstwin faq: http://gstwin.variders.com

I just want some more input (yeah, I searched  :P ) on technique, tips, grammar, wording, whatever.  :thumb:

=========================================

What is the proper way to check my oil?

The most accurate method to check your oil on the GS500 is to:

1. Put the bike the center stand (or keep it completely upright somehow) on level ground.

2. Warm the bike for a few minutes and then let the bike sit with the engine off for a few minutes.

3. Pull the oil dipstick out, wipe it off, and then put it back into the filler hole but do not screw it in.

4. Pull it out and check the reading. If it is below the "L" mark, you need to add some oil. If it is in the crosshatches, you should monitor your oil closely but you do not necesarily have to add oil at this time.

Other things to keep in mind about checking your oil:

A. The GS500 engine (as with other air cooled engines) is known for using oil. It is a good idea to check your oil before riding, or at least every few hundred miles.

B. According to GStwin moderator Pantablo, the amount of oil from the "L" (low) mark to the "F" (full) mark is approximately one quart.

C. Checking the oil with the bike on it's side stand will alter the reading and render it incorrect.

==========================================
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 02:14:44 AM by TheGoodGuy »
Richard died in a motorcycle accident that was at no fault of his own.  We lost a good friend and good member of this board.  Though Rich may be gone, his legacy will live on here.

Photos from the June '06 Northeast GStwin Meet

Offline Jace009gs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
for FAQ: How to Check The Oil inthe GS500
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 05:34:36 PM »
is that confirmed the F>>L is 1 qt :o  :o
Motorcycle's are God's greatest creation; turning gas into noise with acceleration & power as side effects

Offline scratch

• Sofa King We Todd Did
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • Yes, that's a reflection on the road
for FAQ: How to Check The Oil inthe GS500
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 07:01:22 PM »
I'd add that because the bike eats oil, it is best to check the oil weekly. For convenience, checking the oil after a ride, or coming home from work, on a certain day each week, is a good time to check the oil.

I did a search for 'level and quart' with the username Pantablo, Kerry and Seshadri_Srinath; and did not find eveidence or proof.
My appologies for any offense.
The motorcycle is no longer the hobby, the skill has become the hobby.

Power does not compare to skill.  What good is power without the skill to use it?

Originally posted by Wintermute on BayAreaRidersForum.com
good judgement trumps good skills every time.