Author Topic: Splicing in an inline fuel filter  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Straymonolith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
Splicing in an inline fuel filter
« on: June 26, 2006, 07:15:51 PM »
On my '91 GS, instead of the vacuum petcock deal, I've got a shutoff valve and a little fuel filter, like this:

That conical, plastic little thing is the filter. I already had one of those break on me, on the freeway. I managed to pull over and splice the fuel lines to bypass the filter, using nothing but a rusty house key and parts of my lower intestine.
So I want to replace it with a more solid looking filter, like this:

Will it be ok? Will it mess the fuel pressure or do anything funny to the carbs? Any opinions regarding the filter?

Offline hmmmnz

• AMA Superbike Racer
Re: Splicing in an inline fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 07:29:21 PM »
a filter is a filter is a filter, atleast you have one, that one looks alittle more sturdy than the one thats in there now, i think its time for a change, the rust colour gave it away :icon_mrgreen:
pod filters, costum r6 quill exhaust(no baffles)40/140 jets, heavy duty springs, sv650 rear shock, gsxr srad tail, bandit 600 4.5 inch rim with 150 tyre, gsx twin disc front end "1995 pocket rocket"  ridden by a kiwi in scotland

Offline scottpA_GS

• I can't believe I'm not Buttercup
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 07:38:15 PM »
I bought that same long filter you are showing.. It was CRAP! It is not (more solid at all!) I could not get it to stop leaking fuel... The way those clear screw together filters are made is junk!

I went back to the small cone shaped filter like you have above and no problems at all.

hehe.. ya know.. I had the same fuel shut off that you have too.. I got another OEM replacement now thuogh :)

:thumb:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:41:22 PM by scottpA_GS »

~ 1990 GS500E Project bike ~ Frame up restoration ~ Yosh exhaust, 89 clipons, ...more to come...

~ 98 Shadow ACE 750 ~ Black Straight Pipes ~ UNI Filter ~ Dyno Jet Stage 1 ~ Sissy Bar ~

Offline Wrecent_Wryder

• MotoGP Racer
  • Any obligations to contribute have been forfeited.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 09:19:19 PM »
3d
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:34:32 PM by Wrecent_Wryder »
"On hiatus" in reaction to out-of-control moderators, thread censorship and member bans, 7/31/07.
Your cure is worse than the disease.
Remember, no one HAS to contribute here.

Offline scottpA_GS

• I can't believe I'm not Buttercup
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:28:53 PM »

The cone shape filter works just fine. Never had any starvation issues.. even this weekend I was hanging w/ a pack of 400+ Bikes averaging 70+ MPH for aver 60 Miles.. Not a hiccup from the GS.

I say stay w/ the cone shape ones... they are cheap and for the most part reliable.

:dunno_white:

~ 1990 GS500E Project bike ~ Frame up restoration ~ Yosh exhaust, 89 clipons, ...more to come...

~ 98 Shadow ACE 750 ~ Black Straight Pipes ~ UNI Filter ~ Dyno Jet Stage 1 ~ Sissy Bar ~

Offline Mandres

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • World Supersport Racer
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 03:19:14 AM »
hey Stray, how did you route the two hoses from the tank into that on/off valve?  Did you use a T-connector? 

-M

Offline Straymonolith

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 03:25:32 AM »
Mandres,
Actualy one of the hoses is pluged. I just have the reserve hose connected to the shut-off valve. It's simple, but when I run out of gas, I really run out of gas.

Offline Jenya

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 05:51:04 AM »
I bought a 'Fram G3515' fuel filter from generic auto parts store.

I, actually, ordered some motorcycle filter from Dennis Kirk at first, but when I received it, it looked too cheap. So I stopped by Shucks auto store and opened secretelly, so that store employyes won't notice, every filter package they had, except for paper ones, as I knew those have very high resistance. I then blew with my lungs into each one of those and picked the one with the lowest resistance, which happend to be Fram G3515. When I got home, I discovered that it actually has evel lesser resistance than the filter I got from Dennis Kirk. Been using it for quite some time now and it doesn't cause any problems, as far as restriction of fuelf flow goes, whatsover. Not a sign of fuel starvation. It is a metal can sturdy construction type.

Jenya

Offline makenzie71

• Upside down forks R kewl
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • onoz omg onoz omg onoz omg onoz omg
    • PacNet
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 06:35:16 AM »
bah...just get good fuel and keep your mesh in the tank clean.  You shouldn't need an inline filter...I've never used one (except on bikes that didn't havea tank sock).