Author Topic: Ignition switch - hard to turn  (Read 3659 times)

Offline pres589

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
Ignition switch - hard to turn
« on: August 18, 2006, 01:03:24 PM »
The ignition switch on my newly aquired GS is extremely hard to turn from OFF to ON on the first try.  It usually takes 3 or 4 attempts to get the thing to turn to ON, but after that it gets easier.  Are there tricks to this, or is the switch in need of some attention?  If so, what's the best way to clean these things up without causing problems?  I would think that a slight amount of dry graphite might help but I wanted to ask the GS Collective first.
1992 GS500E
||Carb = #40 non-bleed primary jets, #147.5 mains, 1mm total washer stack||
||Engine = K&N Lunchbox, full V&H exhaust||
||Suspension = stock rear, Progressive spring + 15w oil in front||

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Motorcycle God!
Re: Ignition switch - hard to turn
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:17:10 PM »
If its a copy of a key or a key that's been like custom made - yea its a lousy key - BTW on all 3 or just the ignition. If its just ignition, but not the other 2, cut the lock to match the key, else, cut the key. send me the lock and key and it will work like butter. I am doing it to the GS I just got ... But mine is definetly key, not lock, its bad in all 3.
Cool.
Srinath.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Offline sledge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • He's Mr Brightside
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 02:46:22 PM »
I have used graphite powder many times on stiff locks, its very effective and more suitable  than WD40 as it doesnt attract dust and dirt.  Dont get it near any electrical contacts, its conductive and can cause problems. Get it from a good Locksmiths shop. A bit of WD 40 on the steering lock mechanism might help too. It might be a bit stiff and it could be this thats making the key difficult to turn.

Offline pres589

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 02:51:25 PM »
If its a copy of a key or a key that's been like custom made - yea its a lousy key - BTW on all 3 or just the ignition. If its just ignition, but not the other 2, cut the lock to match the key, else, cut the key. send me the lock and key and it will work like butter. I am doing it to the GS I just got ... But mine is definetly key, not lock, its bad in all 3.
Cool.
Srinath.

I'll have to check but I think the keys work like a champ on the seat lock... what's this 3rd lock?  Ignition, seat, and ... what else?  The two keys I have are both copies, one's an Ilko, the other is some brand I hadn't heard of, with "Made in Italy" stamped on the back.  If you think this is something where the ignition switch itself could use a little work and you're willing to spend some time on it, PM me pricin info.  Since both keys are copies I wouldn't mind having a new one cut, but I'd like the bike to end up with a single key for all locks.  How involved is pulling the ignition switch?
1992 GS500E

Offline pres589

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 02:52:58 PM »
I have used graphite powder many times on stiff locks, its very effective and more suitable  than WD40 as it doesnt attract dust and dirt.  Dont get it near any electrical contacts, its conductive and can cause problems. Get it from a good Locksmiths shop. A bit of WD 40 on the steering lock mechanism might help too. It might be a bit stiff and it could be this thats making the key difficult to turn.

I've yet to try the steering lock, I have been leaving the ignition in the OFF position the whole time I've had the bike (monday marks our one week anniversary together).
1992 GS500E

Offline The Buddha

• Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:59:26 PM »
OK tank is the third. The bike already has 2 keys one for seat and one for ignition - OK its better to cut the ignition lock for the key then.
No pricing - Just 2 way shipping ... but You may want to try your lubing idea first. bad copies of keys - so what else is new. Bike keys are shorter, and the automated machines cut keys from the top, not bottom, so your key is likely to be 2-3 mm too long. From the original key, if it was cut manually form the bottom, it will work.
Cool.
Srinath.

Offline pres589

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 03:02:36 PM »
OK tank is the third. The bike already has 2 keys one for seat and one for ignition - OK its better to cut the ignition lock for the key then.
No pricing - Just 2 way shipping ... but You may want to try your lubing idea first. bad copies of keys - so what else is new. Bike keys are shorter, and the automated machines cut keys from the top, not bottom, so your key is likely to be 2-3 mm too long. From the original key, if it was cut manually form the bottom, it will work.
Cool.
Srinath.

Something is amiss here, I was given two keys that both work in the ignition, just poorly.  I've had the gas tank open a couple times, not sure how I forgot about that one, but I know at least one of them works for the tank and the seat as well, this being the one I left on the leather keyfob that came with the keys (the other went on the ring with my car, apt, etc keys).  I know for sure that both keys work in the ignition, just poorly, but if I'mr reading what you've told me here, I should have a pair of keys to turn all locks on the bike, and not some universal key to do all locks with. 

At work or I'd walk out to the patio and try them both in all locks.
1992 GS500E

Offline sledge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • He's Mr Brightside
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 03:07:30 PM »
Yep, after that bit of additional info I will go with poor keys too. Both keys should operate all 3 locks nice and smoothly.
I dont wish to alarm you but you need to be careful about security. The previous owner may still have the original keys and there is nothing stopping him from coming back or passing them on to someone else with a view to stealing the bike from you, particularly if he has your address. Its a scam I have heard of happening several times over here. It happened to a local dealer, he lent a bike out for an hours test ride, the guy went out on the bike and while he was out got a duplicate key made. A few days later he went back to the dealer and rode it straight off the forecourt............The Police did ultimately work out what had happened and got the bast*** though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 03:19:42 PM by sledge »

Offline pres589

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 03:13:50 PM »
Yep, after that bit of additional info I will go with poor keys too. Both keys should operate all 3 locks nice and smoothly.

That's what I'm thinking too... Can srinath match up my existing ignition switch to some new keys?  I've no idea how hard it is to cut new keys for an existing ignition switch when the keys to source copies of aren't that great to begin with.  Or is this something where I'd have to contact Suzuki with my VIN and have them send me new keys?
1992 GS500E

Offline Egaeus

• farking bannination
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Pandy
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 03:29:55 PM »
I think people have had problems with getting new keys in the past.  Most likely it will be a cut copy, but probably better than what you have. 

Luckily, I got the original, and had dupes made immediately which I use.  The original is sitting on a shelf.
Sorry, I won't answer motorcycle questions anymore.  I'm not f%$king friendly enough for this board.  Ask me at:
webchat.freequest.net
or
irc.freequest.net if you have an irc client
room: #gstwins
password: gs500

Offline pres589

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 04:48:55 PM »
Sledge:  The previous owner is actually a law student at KU, I talked to him over the phone.  The bike was sold by his father to me, I found the thing through a company buy/sell/trade weekly publication; I don't think the previous owner is going to mess around with this sort of thing.  Good advice for the future though.
1992 GS500E

Offline The Buddha

• Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 06:41:26 PM »
Well the srinath is confused.
OK I cant make keys or anything that drastic, nor can I make you a whole lock set ... The srinath is just a guy with a screwdriver and a dremel tool. Not a magician.
If you had a key that was pretty close to being right but not quite, or as is common, a key that was a shade too long, the srinath will open up your lock, take out the cylinders and trim the key to work prefectly with the aforementioned dremel tool.
If your key worked in 2 out of 3 locks, the srinath can use the same aforementioned dremel tool and shave the extra wafer material that probably is preventing it from working right and refit it and have it work like it should. In theory if you had 3 locks all working perfectly, you can swap out order of the entire wafer set, and invert the key and have it cut and have a whole different key with the same lockset, theory, I guess I could do it and prove it - number the wafers based on location where they hit your key, then 1234 should be fitted as 4321, seat latch and tank only use parts of it, so you'd have to account for that. I believe seat uses 234 only and tank uses 123 only. you may have to put the tank's wafer set in the seat and seats in the tank - wafers will swap over, nothing else will. Then cut the key manually in reverse. As in set to cut from the top, but cut the target key from the bottom. BTW do that first, else you'll never get the lock sets to work ... you need a key to make sure they are working.
Its starting to get complicated though. I'll take a good working ignition and leave it there. OK if someone wants - I can take pics this weekend as I hack into my ignition. However I know for sure my problem is the key. Almost betting its a shade long. But we'll see.
Cool.
Srinath.

Offline pres589

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 08:20:45 PM »
I think what I'll do is have the dealership I've been going to cut a couple new keys after pulling the ignition switch and bringing it in.  I've already called them about having new keys cut for the thing and this sounds like a somewhat common operation.  This way I don't have to be shipping keys around and hoping things are going to work out.  And it shouldn't cost too much (operative wording: shouldn't) since I'll be pulling the switch off the bike and bringing the thing in.  I'm going to assume pulling the switch off without damaging it isn't too difficult, is this a good assumption?
1992 GS500E

Offline MrDan

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • http://dangrove.com
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 09:35:45 PM »
Well the srinath is confused.
OK I cant make keys or anything that drastic, nor can I make you a whole lock set ... The srinath is just a guy with a screwdriver and a dremel tool. Not a magician.
If you had a key that was pretty close to being right but not quite, or as is common, a key that was a shade too long, the srinath will open up your lock, take out the cylinders and trim the key to work prefectly with the aforementioned dremel tool.
If your key worked in 2 out of 3 locks, the srinath can use the same aforementioned dremel tool and shave the extra wafer material that probably is preventing it from working right and refit it and have it work like it should. In theory if you had 3 locks all working perfectly, you can swap out order of the entire wafer set, and invert the key and have it cut and have a whole different key with the same lockset, theory, I guess I could do it and prove it - number the wafers based on location where they hit your key, then 1234 should be fitted as 4321, seat latch and tank only use parts of it, so you'd have to account for that. I believe seat uses 234 only and tank uses 123 only. you may have to put the tank's wafer set in the seat and seats in the tank - wafers will swap over, nothing else will. Then cut the key manually in reverse. As in set to cut from the top, but cut the target key from the bottom. BTW do that first, else you'll never get the lock sets to work ... you need a key to make sure they are working.
Its starting to get complicated though. I'll take a good working ignition and leave it there. OK if someone wants - I can take pics this weekend as I hack into my ignition. However I know for sure my problem is the key. Almost betting its a shade long. But we'll see.
Cool.
Srinath.

That's my guess too.  I finally got used to it and never had a problem getting anything open, but it's a copy of a copy - sorry.  The original copy (heh) actually snapped off in the lock the friday before you got the bike.  I had to pull out the piece with tweezers. 

Speaking of - on the 89, how hard would it be to redo the seat lock?  that seems rather difficult to open.  ignition and gas are fine though.

Offline starwalt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • World Superbike Racer
  • Starter motor rpm limit ---> ∞
    • The Varied Interest Starwalt Webpage
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 02:27:23 AM »
Speaking of - on the 89, how hard would it be to redo the seat lock?  that seems rather difficult to open.  ignition and gas are fine though.

The seat lock is wicked easy. If you are even moderately mechanically inclined you can do it. Here's a pic from my website:

The two screws hold the pull tab onto the back of the cylinder. The pins of the cylinder are easy to remove and can be deleted as needed to make the lock work with different keys. AAMOF I removed two of my pins because they were not the right ones and prevented the cylinder from turning.

I suspect a previous owner/rebuilder bought a lock and just stuck it on.
-=Doug......   IT ≠ IQ.

God save us from LED turn signal mods!

Get an Ebay GS value  HERE.

1990 GS running, 1990 GS work-in-progress, 1990 basket case.
The trend here is entropy

Offline The Buddha

• Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 02:45:24 AM »
Starwalt :- Previous owner/builder did no such thing.  :laugh: The one that was swapped was the ignition.
Dan:- I was fine with wiggling it. I think redoing it will be a PITA ... however the quick and dirty way is ... you see the cylinder starwalt's pic shows - the one with the key, you basically shave the wafers with the key in place till the thing is smooth and round. OK his pic already has them round. If your key is off ... it may not be. So make it smooth. I split the ignition off the 93. Looks like the whole key was tilted a bit. Sorta like if I tilt it, the wafers all line up beautifully. I'll show you a pic tommorow just for academic interest. Also broken keys tend to get a longer gap at the break. Could you tell me exactly where it broke. I would shave it a hair and cut a key off a break. Also can you tell me which exact machine (like a walmart access type machine) you had the key cut at. The walmart machine typically cuts from the top, making for a key that is a hair longer than it should be. Let me see if I can fix the key in the sense of a CSI mystery ...  O0 ... as Horatio would say "Miami ... has a new kind of key Its a Suzu Key ...  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: "
Cool.
Srinath.

Offline MrDan

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 04:16:10 AM »

Offline MrDan

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 04:34:25 AM »
Dan: Could you tell me exactly where it broke. I would shave it a hair and cut a key off a break. Also can you tell me which exact machine (like a walmart access type machine) you had the key cut at. The walmart machine typically cuts from the top, making for a key that is a hair longer than it should be. Let me see if I can fix the key in the sense of a CSI mystery ...  O0 ... as Horatio would say "Miami ... has a new kind of key Its a Suzu Key ...  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: "
Cool.
Srinath.

Here's a pic of where it broke (worry so huge).  the 89 key is next to it for reference.  I had the key cut (from this one) at a Suzuki shop - but they didnt charge me since it seemed a little off.