Author Topic: New dual headlight setup  (Read 11870 times)

Offline LostDog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
  • 89 GS500E
New dual headlight setup
« on: March 04, 2007, 01:40:11 AM »
I saw these for sale on eBay, but decided to save some cash and make my own. The wiring was a little tricky. I had to add a diode so that I could have both lamps on when I flip the light switch to high. I also had to mount a small electronics housing box in there so that all the wiring that used to live in the old headlight would have somewhere to go.

89 GS500E custom dual headlight, painted wheels, matte black paint, bar end mirrors, chopped rear fender, new grips, R1 taillight, case guards, K&N lunchbox

Offline RedShift

• The Red and Shifty Mod
  • World Superbike Racer
  • Near the Middle of the Mitten
Re: New dual headlight setup
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 01:52:18 AM »
Whow.  For a moment there I thought I was looking at a Trimuph Speed Tripple.

Cool.   O0

How is it for night riding?  What kind of bulbs & housing are used.  Parts list and links.  Come on man -- time to share more info on how others can follow your lead !!
2001 GS500E, stock except for SV650 Flyscreen, Case Guards, Headlight Modulator, PIAA Super White bulb & 17-Tooth Front Sprocket, BLUE, RED and GREEN LED Instrument and Dash Lights

Offline LostDog

• Local Club Racer
  • 89 GS500E
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 02:11:39 AM »
I bought a set of Hella Optilux 2500 headlights. They come with a little mounting bracket on each light. If you pull them both off, you can reuse one as a spacer between the two lamps so the whole setup is close to the width of the stock light. Then you have to decide how to wire it. The lamps come with a ton of wiring for mounting them on a car. You need almost none of this. I just cut the wires into lengths I could use and scrapped all the switches, connectors, etc. I wired it so the angel eyes and the right lamp are always on, and the left lamp turns on when I flip the switch to high. So, you hook up the grounds and then run the a low wire (the white one coming from the bike) along with a high wire (yellow from the bike), but you have to put a 12v diode on so that you can keep all the lights that are on low also on high without current running backwards to the high. This is cause the low and high will both connect to the same positive lead on the low lamps, and without the diode current runs back down the high wire and over to the other lamp. Anyways, then you just run a single high (yellow) wire to the other lamp.

These are the lamps
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Optilux/WebSite/AuxiliaryLights/AngelEyes/Model_2500/Model_2500.jsp

I bought mine from TruckCustomizers.com
http://truckcustomizers.com/products/-HM-CM/R4HLA131.2.html
89 GS500E custom dual headlight, painted wheels, matte black paint, bar end mirrors, chopped rear fender, new grips, R1 taillight, case guards, K&N lunchbox

Offline facepants

• Formula Extreme Racer
  • that's right i'm male
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 06:23:06 AM »
What kind of turn signals are those?

Do you have rear ones to match or are you using stock?

Offline Wrecent_Wryder

• MotoGP Racer
  • Any obligations to contribute have been forfeited.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 04:03:43 PM »
%%
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:29:55 PM by Wrecent_Wryder »
"On hiatus" in reaction to out-of-control moderators, thread censorship and member bans, 7/31/07.
Your cure is worse than the disease.
Remember, no one HAS to contribute here.

Offline dgyver

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • woof woof
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 09:44:44 PM »
Looks good from the front. Can you post a side pic?

So, H3 bulbs are single filament?
Common sense in not very common.

Offline tpgpz

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 02:24:28 AM »
I bought a set of Hella Optilux 2500 headlights. They come with a little mounting bracket on each light. If you pull them both off, you can reuse one as a spacer between the two lamps so the whole setup is close to the width of the stock light. Then you have to decide how to wire it. The lamps come with a ton of wiring for mounting them on a car. You need almost none of this. I just cut the wires into lengths I could use and scrapped all the switches, connectors, etc. I wired it so the angel eyes and the right lamp are always on, and the left lamp turns on when I flip the switch to high. So, you hook up the grounds and then run the a low wire (the white one coming from the bike) along with a high wire (yellow from the bike), but you have to put a 12v diode on so that you can keep all the lights that are on low also on high without current running backwards to the high. This is cause the low and high will both connect to the same positive lead on the low lamps, and without the diode current runs back down the high wire and over to the other lamp. Anyways, then you just run a single high (yellow) wire to the other lamp.

These are the lamps
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Optilux/WebSite/AuxiliaryLights/AngelEyes/Model_2500/Model_2500.jsp

I bought mine from TruckCustomizers.com
http://truckcustomizers.com/products/-HM-CM/R4HLA131.2.html

Holy freakin crap!!!  I was watching the same headlights on ebay and was wanting to do the same thing that you just did!  Thanks for posting the info.  I understand everything that you did except the diode.  What wires does it connect to and what legs of the diode goes where?  I am no electrician by any means, but I can follow it with a bit more info if you have the time. 

Major props on the job!!  it looks great! 

Offline LostDog

• Local Club Racer
  • 89 GS500E
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
The turn signals were on the bike when I got it, but I've seen them at cyclegear for less than $20 a set. I think they're these:
http://cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=MRX_OI1_G

The diode is just an inline semiconductor. You just have to splice it into the middle of your wire for the brights. If someone really wants to do this I can draw a diagram of the wiring. I picked up the diode at Fry's. It's a 12 volt 5 watt Zener Diode, and cost about $1. I also picked up some wire connectors there.

Offline facepants

• Formula Extreme Racer
  • that's right i'm male
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 07:16:35 PM »
Is that a flat black paint you have on your bike?  What brand/texture is it?

Offline LostDog

• Local Club Racer
  • 89 GS500E
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 07:25:06 PM »
Yep, the paint is matte black. I used duplicolor truck bed liner. I saw it on another bike forum. Here's a better pic of the paint, before the new headlight.

Offline facepants

• Formula Extreme Racer
  • that's right i'm male
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 07:29:04 PM »
Haha.. yeah...

That's the exact stuff I've been looking into.  Yours looks awesome.

What kind of prep did you do before spraying it with the duplicolor?  Did you strip the paint completely from the tank?

Did you do any prep work on the plastics?

How does it hold up against gas/fluid spills and the sun?  Do you have to maintain it at all with other rub on chemicals?

Offline tpgpz

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 07:40:29 PM »
The turn signals were on the bike when I got it, but I've seen them at cyclegear for less than $20 a set. I think they're these:
http://cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=MRX_OI1_G

The diode is just an inline semiconductor. You just have to splice it into the middle of your wire for the brights. If someone really wants to do this I can draw a diagram of the wiring. I picked up the diode at Fry's. It's a 12 volt 5 watt Zener Diode, and cost about $1. I also picked up some wire connectors there.

I would be very interested in a diagram if you have the time. 

Offline LostDog

• Local Club Racer
  • 89 GS500E
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 07:48:51 PM »
For the paint I just sanded everything really good, then washed them and used some degreaser. After that just spray on some light coats. I didn't take all the paint off. It took me a little more than one can.

I've got some sketches of the wiring at home. I'll take a photo and post it.

Offline scottpA_GS

• I can't believe I'm not Buttercup
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 09:02:11 PM »
Very cool  :thumb: I love the Halo look... If you get some time... can you post a pic of them turned off using a flash so we can see what the mounting setup looks like from front and side?

Thanks... again.. Cool project. I thought of doing the same, but took the easy way out and bought duel buels  :icon_mrgreen:

~ 1990 GS500E Project bike ~ Frame up restoration ~ Yosh exhaust, 89 clipons, ...more to come...

~ 98 Shadow ACE 750 ~ Black Straight Pipes ~ UNI Filter ~ Dyno Jet Stage 1 ~ Sissy Bar ~

Offline anthonyd5189

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 03:50:55 AM »
looks real sweet

Offline nightrider

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • World Supersport Racer
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 07:56:18 AM »
That is one tactical looking GS. With a bionic eye. Props.  :thumb:

Offline Wrecent_Wryder

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
&&
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:30:15 PM by Wrecent_Wryder »
"On hiatus" in reaction to out-of-control moderators, thread censorship and member bans, 7/31/07.

Offline The Antibody

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 02:37:07 PM »
Not to shabby. They are a good size. I like the fact that you have both on for high beem. Both of mine turn on if I put the light switch in the middle. So I have low high and both.

Good Job.

-Anti  8)
Once the President of Coolness, always the President of Coolness.

"Just try not to screw it up!"

Offline ohgood

• Timing is Retarded
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Motorcycle God!
    • http://sidsawesomeadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 02:56:53 PM »
It's already been noted this is a great looking setup. I'm wondering how it compares to the flamethrower of a light the GS comes with in stock trim ? Given most folks ask me 'what the hell are you running for lights?!' when we talk at a gas station, I'll assume it's a good deal brighter than most.

If it's great for daytime visibility, and nighttime flaming, I'll definetly be interested.

tt_four: "and believe me, BMW motorcycles are 50% metal, rubber and plastic, and 50% useless

Offline Wrecent_Wryder

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 02:07:24 PM »
^^
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:30:31 PM by Wrecent_Wryder »