Main Area > For Sale / For Trade / Wanted / Hot Deals

Rust preventive tank coating and/or undenting - prices and details

(1/8) > >>

The Buddha:
POR 15 coating I will use minimal acid, and essentially not blow holes in any but the most marginal of tanks, and get it all treated and coated. $60 and return shipping. Make sure you send it in a good box, its comming back in the same box with pretty much the same packing.
Turn around times are prolly going to be over a week, and will get longer in winter cos its totally dependent on the weather as well as take a good 3 days to have the fumes dry out and the coating cure on warm days.
I also will try my best to have the coating not get outside on the paint, but no guarantees here, the fuel fitting and vent will have to be cleared as a priority so I'd make sure of that before preserving the paint.
Yea, send it with the fuel fitting in it.

Added 09/27/08
I can also undent the tanks in effect taking out all but the lightest of ripples. $50 for a 1 panel undent. More if you have 2-3 far apart areas. Because each hole needs to be cut right where I can get at the dent with a number of large fist sized + devices and hammers and rollers.
This is done the old fashioned way - by hacking a palm sized hole on the under side of the tank and hammering out the dent, rolling it with various home made metal and plastic and rubber devices etc etc etc ... Pics of a recent one here.
http://picasaweb.google.com/srinath.the.man/TankDeDenting#

The tank ideally needs to be coated after this, I wont count on the weld to seal up 100% and the weld will rust and rot out very very rapidly unless protected by paint and coating. $10 discount if coating and undenting is ordered at the same time. I will help the acid step by sanding up the inside well, then get coating done with a lot less acid and chemicals. I would brush coat POR 15 which is usually far superior to the gravity and rolling method. After welding, I'll coat that weld area with brush as well. Run a pressure test and send it off. I am still working on the pressure testing part - the yellow one for smithville flats may be the first of the ones with a pressure test. Yea I will spray the outside of the weld with some paint so it dont rot away from the outside.
Cool.
Buddha.

wreckhog:
This is a nice price. I called 5 radiator repair shops in my area to ask about Redkote lining my tank (not POR15). 3 had no idea what I was talking about. One didn't do it anymore (too many complaints about coating peeling) and the last one charges $195. F it. $20 of phosporic acid nitrile gloves from Home Dept, $1 of baking soda, and $50 of bedliner (instead of paint)  from Walmart will do fine til next spring...

The Buddha:
What the ... bedliner ... maaaaaa ... how well does it hold up ... and if it has to come out ... how will it ever come out.
Its pretty much the same math for me ... but like add $10 of POR 15 and 3 days of rolling the tank around from side to side ...
This will not ever peel, there is some on my driveway that is not moved in a year. The thing will outlive the bike and heck, the coating will be holding in the gas as the gas tank rusts from the putside and crumbles ...
Cool.
Buddha.

The Buddha:
BTW being 1 man with no real overhead = huge advantage. Spare time ... I prefer to sell my brains and a little bit of the dexterity I seem to have obtained ... like digging out tiny ass bits off carbs and go ... ah-ha, this is bad ... when people go ... you can see that ...

And yea - whoever thought that huge lumbering corporations are very very very inefficient.  :laugh: ...
Cool.
Buddha.

wreckhog:
Bedliner for the outside. One guy pays more for materials, but less for EPA fines :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version