News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Clymer manual Here

Main Menu

Katana Rear Shock Disassembly Tool (PICS)

Started by ben2go, May 06, 2008, 11:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben2go

Last year I found a 97 Katana shock for nothing.It need it to be painted.I checked it out to make sure the fluid was in there.(shake and listen) I hung it upside down over a bucket in my building.No leaks.I should've done a write up but I had no cam last year.All that's needed to take it apart is to release the springs tension from the locks.The locks are half moon shaped pieces on top of the spring.Here's my tool.

It's consist of 2 turn buckles 1/4 by 6 inches,3/8 bolt 4 inches long,2 nuts,and 2 S hooks.Total cost was $6.Parts come from any hardware store or home improvement store.I cut the toe out of a thick crew sock and used it to cover the spring.Cheap paint protection.

Here's the parts.

Here's how it's set up on the shock.

Bottom

Shock being put together.

Safety Advice
When using this wear safety goggles and heavy leather gloves.Oil the turn buckles so the pressure won't cause the threads to stick and rip apart.Get them finger tight first and then do 10 turns on one and then 10 turns on the other.Repeat to keep to much pressure off the parts.Try to use fine thread turn buckles.More threads can take the pressure better.Slow and steady.Don't try to collapse the spring.Just enough that the half moon shaped locks can slide out.Cut the toe out of an old thick sock,and use it to cover the spring for paint protection.
PICS are GONE never TO return.

beRto

bucks1605

Nice, I'll keep this in mind if my '95 shock gets worse than it is.
SV1000K3 Bought 03/17/09
1996 GS500E Sold 03/03/09

El motociclista

Ben2go,
What is this for? Why does the shock need to be taken apart?
2001 mods: Racetech springs, Katana rear-shock, K and N drop-in air filter, superbike handlebars, MC Enterprises case guards, CBR900rr passenger pegs up front, uber-fenderectomy, mufflerectomy

ben2go

Quote from: El motociclista on May 07, 2008, 11:18:27 AM
Ben2go,

I disassembled the shock for painting.Nothing wrong with it, just looking weathered.This all started when I decided to spruce up my bike and add some mods and upgrades.  :thumb:

Fry

Quote from: ben2go on May 07, 2008, 11:39:58 AM
Ben2go,

I disassembled the shock for painting.Nothing wrong with it, just looking weathered.This all started when I decided to spruce up my bike and add some mods and upgrades.  :thumb:

It never ends up being a simple "Sprucing Up" I'm currently looking at a stripped frame, a couple 6' lengths of 3/4" square tubing, a Ducati Monster Seat, K+N Lunchbox filter, Dis-assembled forks, and a ton of brake clean, primer, and paint cans lying around.

It never ends up something simple.
Have you learned the lessons only of those who admired you, and were tender with you, and stood aside for you? Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?
Walt Whitman

El motociclista

Ben2go,

Gotchya, thanks for the explanation.
2001 mods: Racetech springs, Katana rear-shock, K and N drop-in air filter, superbike handlebars, MC Enterprises case guards, CBR900rr passenger pegs up front, uber-fenderectomy, mufflerectomy

ben2go

Quote from: Fry on May 07, 2008, 03:46:34 PM
Ben2go,

It never ends up being a simple "Sprucing Up" I'm currently looking at a stripped frame, a couple 6' lengths of 3/4" square tubing, a Ducati Monster Seat, K+N Lunchbox filter, Dis-assembled forks, and a ton of brake clean, primer, and paint cans lying around.

It never ends up something simple.

Yea, the suspension is getting swapped out,front and rear, along with fresh paint on the new pieces.Rejet,K&N,performance exhaust,bigger rear wheel,new brakes,new upgraded clutch,oil change,new plugs.The only thing that will be GS when I'm done is the frame,engine core,carbs,seat,rear plastics,headlight and gas tank.That's the 89 in my avatar.

My 1990 GS project bike will only be a GS frame ,seat,and core engine.Everything else will be 1 off parts or better parts from other bikes.

The Buddha

I used a pipe bender ... but yea this works too ... and ...
Once you get the spring off, you can hold the crimped end to a bench grinder and hold the chrome rod with your hand and the shocks hydraulics will spin with the grinder motion and it will nicely machine itself open in a few mins ... like a $30 lathe ... then you can make a cap with threads, and a threaded tube welded on it and the shock is now openable ...
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

ben2go

Reviving this thread for those that maybe wanting to disassemble their shock and paint it.

SIKDMAX

1999 GS500E - Corbin Seat, Bar End Mirrors, K&N Lunchbox, Vance & Hines Exhaust, Carb Magic by Buddah, Progressive Front Springs w/ 15W,  EBC Front Pads, LED Front/Rear Signals, 15T Front JT Sprocket.

NEED:  Katana Rear Shock, OEM Rear Pads, New Chain!

ben2go

SIKDMAX

One question for you - do all year Katana 600 shocks work?  Ive got access to a like new 05 Katana 600 shock Id like to use....

Thanks
1999 GS500E - Corbin Seat, Bar End Mirrors, K&N Lunchbox, Vance & Hines Exhaust, Carb Magic by Buddah, Progressive Front Springs w/ 15W,  EBC Front Pads, LED Front/Rear Signals, 15T Front JT Sprocket.

NEED:  Katana Rear Shock, OEM Rear Pads, New Chain!

ben2go

Quote from: SIKDMAX on June 15, 2008, 06:20:06 PM
One question for you - do all year Katana 600 shocks work?  Ive got access to a like new 05 Katana 600 shock Id like to use....

Thanks

Yes all 600/750 shocks should work.

ben2go

ben2go

jmelchio

I saw this post earlier which was a good thing. I wanted to replace the spring on a standard GS500 shock and your tool inspired me to cook something up myself as well.

Pictures of the procedure and tool are here ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmelchio/sets/72157627334892650/

Thanks for the inspiration.
2006 Suzuki GS500F
2008 BMW F800ST

BaltimoreGS

Probably overkill but a cheap automotive coil spring compressor would probably work

-Jessie

Harbor Freight $9.99 specials

ben2go

Quote from: jmelchio on August 25, 2011, 10:50:26 AM
I saw this post earlier which was a good thing. I wanted to replace the spring on a standard GS500 shock and your tool inspired me to cook something up myself as well.

Pictures of the procedure and tool are here ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmelchio/sets/72157627334892650/

Thanks for the inspiration.

Your tool is safer than mine and reusable.Mine is only ment to be used once and the tossed.Really like the design.If I do another one,I may steal your idea.

You're welcome for the inspiration.

Quote from: BaltimoreGS on August 25, 2011, 11:13:53 AM
Probably overkill but a cheap automotive coil spring compressor would probably work

-Jessie

Harbor Freight $9.99 specials

I tried one of those and they are way to big and can possible damage the chrome on the shock rod.That's what led me to build the one I posted.

jmelchio

Quote from: ben2go on August 25, 2011, 03:47:47 PM

Your tool is safer than mine and reusable.Mine is only ment to be used once and the tossed.Really like the design.If I do another one,I may steal your idea.

You're welcome for the inspiration.

Yes, it's reusable and pretty safe as well. As you may have noticed I didn't have the top and bottom holes lined up very well. It still works but if you make one like it make sure to line them up, it will work a lot smoother.

2006 Suzuki GS500F
2008 BMW F800ST

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk