Author Topic: smoking carbs?  (Read 2904 times)

Offline fixgear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
smoking carbs?
« on: June 27, 2003, 03:10:09 AM »
looking for a little help here...

i just put my carbs back into my '89/'99 gs500e, first time since the bike has been reassembled. i just cleaned and rejetted them, although i don't know if i've done everything correctly.  we were anxious to see if the bike would start, so we hooked up a makeshift fuel tank, and with no airbox or air filters on the carbs, started it up. it ran a bit, but would start to die whenever i tried to push the rpms up. then the fuel ran out and it quit. here's the thing: then i noticed a small stream of white smoke coming out of the backside (airfilter side) of the right carb (from under the slide). it continued for a few minutes. as it started to subside, i disconnected the carbs from the cylinders and it seemed like it was coming from the carb not the cylinder.

where's the smoke coming from? why only one carb?

i'm not very experienced with this stuff, so any help is appreciated.

thanks,
-craig

Offline KevinC

• World Supersport Racer
    • http://www.telusplanet.net/public/kcaldwel/GS500/
smoking carbs?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 03:29:00 AM »
I suspect it was actually coming from the engine. If the engine stops with an intake valve open, the partially burnt charge from the stalling engine could easliy seep back through the carb. Only one intake can be open at a time, so it would do it on one side only.

Nothing to worry about really.

Offline Lars

• AMA Superbike Racer
smoking carbs?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 12:19:25 PM »
The white smoke could also be unburned gas-mixture. if you slide the carbs off the engine just after running, "smoke" will come out of them and the intake boots