News:

Protect your dainty digits. Get a good pair of riding gloves cheap Right Here

Main Menu

Final Word about SV650 Shock

Started by aaronjosephward, September 15, 2008, 09:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronjosephward

I searched and searched on this forum about installing an SV650 shock and all I could find was open ended posts with no real solid evidence of how to go about this modification. Even the wiki and pantablos website are somewhat difficult. Well, this has probably been done before, but I'm here to make an end all post.

My objective in all of this was to replace my blown shock while retain all original functionality, ie centerstand, ride height etc. The original shock was pogosticking all over the place, so something had to be done. I got the SV650 shock cheap and thought it would be easy according to the number of posts and what not I've seen online.

The SV650 is NOT a bolt in shock.
3 main points:
The clevise must be redrilled.
The clevise must be cut.
The linkage must be ground.

I initially though that with a set of lowering links, the SV650 shock would work perfect and would be bolt in. After struggling for hours trying to get the original shock out with my puny muscles, I finally found a breaker bar to loosen the bolts and great success!
I placed the SV650 shock in the bike just by going up through the bottom. I first bolted the top of the shock to the frame and tried to line up the linkage with the clevise. No good.

I then tried bolting the bottom of the shock to the linkage and trying to pry the shock into the frame at the top. No good. I don't have a picture of this.

I read somewhere that you could flip the linkage upside down and do it that way. No way.

The next day, I went to work and had a machinist grind down the linkage.
I marked off where I wanted him to grind and he did a really good job of grinding it down. I told him to leave the tack weld that joins the two peices of steel together alone, just in case. I don't have a before picture. Go look at your own linkage, or if someone has a picture of one I can post it in this thread

I figured after this I would have the clearance on the linkage to bolt on the SV650 shock without modifing it. Wrong. The shock rubs against the frame and the linkage. Also, the centerstand is dangerously low to the ground. This was with the lowering links on the lowest setting (-4" on a ZX6R). Refresher, this is with the stock shock and the linkage ground.

Today, I had the machinist redrill the shock.
I mounted it tonight. Great success! No rubbing on the linkage or the frame. I also only had to use the 2nd lowest setting (-2" on ZX6R). The bad news is that the lowering links and the clevise both hit the center stand. Also, the bike seemed a little shorter than before. Oh well. I flipped the lowering links upside down to see if the centerstand would work correctly but then it hit the clevise again. I will leave the lowering links flipped and I will have the shock cut down tomorrow or wendesday.

I took it around the block for a short ride, and wow what an improvement. Now i know why people say these bikes are so 'flickable'. Before, the pogo suspension wasn't really confidence inspiring in the corners and I feel held back my development as a rider, but now the bike tracks great and feels great over bumps, through turns and stopping too. Not just to get those front fork springs replaced...

Once the shock is back out of the bike, I will take pictures of the old vs new, where to cut / drill / etc and I will edit this post.
Hopefully this post will make it into the FAQ or something.
My recommendation? Just put on a Katana shock LOL. But if you can get an SV650 shock for cheap and have access to a grinder, an X bit (weird size lol) and a cut off tool of some sort, i say go for it!

-Aaron

PS. I got frusterated and tried to move the bike off the centerstand and forgot the shock was removed. Now I have a big gash in my CF pipe. Stay calm and try not to get frusterated. Only bad things happen then.

philward

Quote from: aaronjosephward on September 15, 2008, 09:24:30 PM
I searched and searched on this forum about installing an SV650 shock and all I could find was open ended posts with no real solid evidence of how to go about this modification. Even the wiki and pantablos website are somewhat difficult....
...Hopefully this post will make it into the FAQ or something.
Update the wiki and it will be around for people to find for ever more.  :thumb:
Formerly:
'05 GS500F
fairingless, twin dominator headlights, MC case-guards, alu pegs, alu bar-ends, Yoshi TRS + K&N RU-2970 (22.5/65/147.5), twin Stebel HF80/2 horns, fenderectomy, Oxford HotGrips

Currently:
Honda CBF1000

The Buddha

The non adjustable SV shock isn't 1/2 the shock it can be ...
The 600 or 750 shocks will be nicer cos they also have rebounnd adjustments.
BTW You should ahve asked me for a linkage, I am grinding one down as we speak, but I just sold some other ones ...
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk