Author Topic: replacement fuel lines  (Read 9898 times)

Offline Joolstacho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
    • www.gigarboxblues.com.au
Re: replacement fuel lines
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 11:51:16 PM »
its fuel lines. your not gettin no 10 horse out of em
What on EARTH does that mean!!!
Beam me up Scottie....

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 12:02:55 AM »
its fuel lines. your not gettin no 10 horse out of em
What on EARTH does that mean!!!

I think he's saying that the customization of fuel lines is way beyond the scope of a typical GS500 owner's knowledge base because the aesthetics of unseen fuel lines seems unimportant when compared to all the other mechanical and aesthetic deficiencies common to the often abused GS500 motorcycles of the world.

I have to agree. In the 10+ years I have watched these fuel line discussions come and go on this forum, the happiest customers seem to those who ordered OEM Suzuki lines. I don't think anyone has bothered to measure the sizes of all the hoses because we can't even agree on what aftermarket fuel lines fit (hint: none because the stock lines are different sizes on either end).

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »
That was very well said, Bluesmudge.

+10000000000 to OEM Suzuki lines and clamps.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight & cowl, GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings

Offline RideShield

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 02:00:09 PM »

+1 on OEM lines and clamps

I just switched back to OEM fuel lines. The OEM clamps just needed to be crimped tighter before installing. It also looks cleaner without my inline fuel filters.
With the aftermarket lines I was also concerned  that other forum members had pulled the nipple out of their petcock with the extra wrangling.

'07 Suzuki GS500F

Offline Kookas

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 10:41:27 PM »
7mm ID nitrile with 11mm OD is just about perfect. It's a pain to find, but in the UK you can get some here: https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/8mm-72mm-nitrile-rubber-fuel-hose-516-596-p.asp

After buying a couple of hoses that were just too big, too thick or both, those ones felt just like the OEM ones.

You might need to heat the fuel tap end to get it on there (at least on the newer bikes), but that's pretty much par for the course, the nipples that end are massive.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:44:52 PM by Kookas »

Offline Carltheproducer

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 07:23:15 PM »
Here's some photos to accompany my post earlier this week on this thread. I read the latest posts to just stick with the Suzuki OEM lines but I still want to try as I need to clean up under the tank after extensive modifications and I want to label these lines for future service as you'll see the Suzuki Service Manual diagrams have no correlation under my bike anymore. I am so much slack on several tubes now and I need to trim them down, plus they're all like 10 years old. I am gonna replace one at a time to see what works and doesn't. Any advice, pointers would be greatly appreciated about aftermarket lines' do and don't.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:24:21 PM by Carltheproducer »

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 03:11:26 AM »
Photo #4: I think that is part of the PAIR system you are holding and can be removed, along with the metal hoses on the front of the head, if you purchase or make some PAIR blockoff plates. You can use plates designed for a Hayabusa, they fit.  Only do this if you dont mind increasing your bike's emissions. It should run the same.

Offline herennow

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 04:07:53 AM »
from my notes:

Fuel hose = (tank water drain is the same) 8mm (5/16) id. - 11.5mm (7/16) od.  Need 1.5m for whole bike,

I used the motion pro fuel hose that was expensive but real nice.... an option if you iive in the US.

Offline Joolstacho

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • www.gigarboxblues.com.au
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 11:56:45 PM »
Here's just a little thing that's easily overlooked:
The tank petcock has a long and a short outlet pipe, which are very close together, so thin walled fuel hose must be used.
Push the hose onto the shorter outlet tube first - push it all the way, and put on the clamp.
Now put the hose on the longer outlet pipe, but don't push it all the way up.
Add the clamp. This way the spring clamps are offset from one another and won't exacerbate the close spacing of the outlet pipes.
(Apologies if someone's covered this before).
Beam me up Scottie....

Offline user11235813

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 04:52:23 AM »
What have you used for replacing the fuel lines?  OEM fuel lines from bikebandit?  Or something better?

There is nothing better than the OEM lines. Expensive but it pays you back over time, because the ends are properly bent moulded and flared and sized differently on each end to fit properly.