Author Topic: What have you done for your bike today????  (Read 396123 times)

Offline Numewsm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Re: What have you done for your bike today????
« Reply #4940 on: February 22, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »
Oil and filter change.
Carb clean
New float needles and seats.
New hex bolts all round for the carbs
Engine degrease and frame clean
Fuel tank cleaned
Petcock filter cleaned
Respray for swing arm, centre stand,  side stand.
And now a beer for me.  :cheers:  :woohoo:

Offline K1600

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4941 on: February 23, 2018, 07:19:44 PM »
New guy here, have just got a 1992 GS with 14500 mile on the clock, engine runs ok but rest of the bike in need of talc, so have decided to give myself a 1-2 year project turning it into a cafe racer. So far have stripped all the plastics, tank, air box and rear electrics. Looking forward to the next stage.

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #4942 on: April 11, 2018, 11:26:39 PM »
Wash & wax, and I ordered a new air filter. Iím riding to work tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline Kito

• AMA Supersport Racer
  • slow and low!
« Reply #4943 on: April 12, 2018, 12:10:23 PM »
I rode her!
The most important thing that somebody could do for his bike!
As I do every day!
2004 Track/Street Rat .... or maybe just trash!
Reverse Gear Shifting (topic=72206.0)
Quick and Cheap Shifter (topic=72099.0)
Gear indicator (topic=72403.0)
Thumb Brake Loading (topic=72143.0)
Clipons

Offline wightgs

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4944 on: April 12, 2018, 03:08:49 PM »
Took it for a ride  :icon_lol: and noticed the righthand front indicator was flashing very fast  :cry: So the rear bulb came out and was Ok but the contact on the bulb had worn ,quick rub with some sand paper and all is well ,can I fit LED bulbs in here without changing the flasher.

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #4945 on: April 12, 2018, 07:11:53 PM »
Took it for a ride  :icon_lol: and noticed the righthand front indicator was flashing very fast  :cry: So the rear bulb came out and was Ok but the contact on the bulb had worn ,quick rub with some sand paper and all is well ,can I fit LED bulbs in here without changing the flasher.

You'll need to swap the flasher to support LED bulbs to avoid hyperflash. You'll also need to do the diode mod to make them work correctly.
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Online mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #4946 on: April 12, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
Well, I fixed a buzz/rattle that scared me, turns out it was just a loose horn.

Tomorrow at sunrise I'll take apart all the wiring again and see if I can't find the flaw causing the rear brake pedal to not engage the brake light. And while I'm at it I am going to try really hard to find a way to reduce and reroute the wiring so all of it, including the reg/rect, starter relay and igniter, all fits under/around the battery tray so I can run the bike without side plastics without unsightly wiring hanging out. I am now convinced that with enough surgery, soldering, crimping, and removal of things like the side stand relay and switch, I can make it work.

Offline Darkstar

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #4947 on: April 12, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »
Made a new bar end setup using a rubber stopper and bolts from home depot, much tighter now!
2007F with 22k NY/NJ miles. Stock exhaust/airbox. Rejet to 20/60/132/one o-ring/1.25 turns out, +2 mojo

Offline Kookas

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #4948 on: April 15, 2018, 06:41:20 PM »
Noticed that I had accidentally switched it to PRI instead of RES that one day I ran out of fuel, and that it's been on PRI for the last 5 days :o no wonder it hasn't been starting as eagerly these past few days! Just glad my carb didn't pour all that prime fuel onto the garage floor like some bikes would.

Also finally fixed the throttle cable slack and got around to replacing the stock air filter. Comparing the old to the new, the old one was pretty grey and horrible-looking. Let's hope it wasn't also improving my bike's mixture and that I'm not now going to suddenly be running super-lean!

Offline alpo

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #4949 on: April 15, 2018, 06:48:31 PM »
Fresh brake fluid all around. The old stuff was, well, old - brown, yucky stuff. Now lever and pedal are nice and firm.

Offline BenPier

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4950 on: April 15, 2018, 07:41:01 PM »
Changed cylinder head new rocker cover gasket replaced cam chain tensioner/ chain fit new puig street fairing and a little rub down with tcut and autosol

Online mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #4951 on: April 15, 2018, 08:21:42 PM »
Not today, but yesterday...

Sorted out my rear brake light switch problem, and in the process pulled nearly the entire wiring harness apart and undid a lot of bone-headed things the previous owner did, eliminated the side stand relay and associated wiring, and eliminated about 6 feet of additional unneeded wiring. Cleaned it all up, fresh looms, routed and zip tied. Quite tidy wiring now. And one less thing (side stand relay) to break and cause the bike to not start/run.

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #4952 on: April 17, 2018, 12:17:55 PM »
Forgot to post in here yesterday. Saturday I adjusted the chain slack on my bike. First time I ever did that particular job.

Offline Kookas

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #4953 on: April 17, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
Forgot to post in here yesterday. Saturday I adjusted the chain slack on my bike. First time I ever did that particular job.

I need to get that done myself. I bought myself a breaker bar for the purpose after I bent that little plate thing trying to do it with a spanner and ratchet but I fear the last person to put that back wheel on did it a little bit too keenly.

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #4954 on: April 17, 2018, 07:47:45 PM »
I need to get that done myself. I bought myself a breaker bar for the purpose after I bent that little plate thing trying to do it with a spanner and ratchet but I fear the last person to put that back wheel on did it a little bit too keenly.

Well I guess I was rather lucky then. I just used a large adjustable wrench to loosen the axle nut, didn't need a breaker bar. Required a bit of elbow grease, but I didn't feel like I was in danger of bending anything.

Offline Kookas

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #4955 on: April 18, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »

Well I guess I was rather lucky then. I just used a large adjustable wrench to loosen the axle nut, didn't need a breaker bar. Required a bit of elbow grease, but I didn't feel like I was in danger of bending anything.

I did the job last night - loosened the axle. Didn't actually tighten the chain in the end because it seems fine actually, despite the fact that it's not been adjusted for almost 4000 miles! At least I loosened it though, and did it up to normal tightness so it won't be such a pain next time.

Also pulled the front sprocket cover for the first time since I got this bike. The engine heat had liquefied a bunch of nasty chain gunk, which quickly made me regret not putting some cardboard down beforehand! Managed to clean it up half-decent though (and the floor, after at least 30 minutes of scrubbing with WD40), and most importantly got to confirm that all the bearings and sprockets and stuff are in good shape.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:32:57 AM by Kookas »

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #4956 on: April 24, 2018, 09:03:36 PM »
I just replaced the air filter. Iím not sure how many miles were on the old one, but Iíve had the bike for two years and a little over 3,000 miles. The old one doesnít look terrible, but it canít hurt. Iím hoping to check valve clearances tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #4957 on: April 24, 2018, 11:21:56 PM »
Oil change.

It was a little early, but I had the day off and felt like doing it.  New tires and chain a short time ago as well, so it felt right.
Also topped off my brake fluid.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline Darkstar

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #4958 on: April 25, 2018, 01:06:36 AM »
Took carbs apart to find out why it flooded and found white crust under the inlet valve brass holder. Cleaned that and replaced o-ring. Leveled both floats, changed oil because it had fuel in it. Removed some rust and sprayed anti-corrosion spray on those, swapped stock horn out with the nautical horn I had bought
2007F with 22k NY/NJ miles. Stock exhaust/airbox. Rejet to 20/60/132/one o-ring/1.25 turns out, +2 mojo

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #4959 on: April 25, 2018, 02:45:42 AM »
swapped stock horn out with the nautical horn I had bought

Please tell me you've got a video/sound-bite!
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart