Author Topic: All Weather USB Outlet - STILL AVAILABLE!  (Read 6342 times)

Offline pronator

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
All Weather USB Outlet - STILL AVAILABLE!
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »

--------------------------- Update on Thurs, 24 March --------------------------

Please see the SVRiders thread on this. You'll find lots of feedback for the ones I've already sent out, video of it working on my GS, and pics of how others have done installation:

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=138865

Payment is the same:

$14 each

$5 shipping USPS Priority (up to 12 chargers; that’s how many I can fit in one flat rate envelope)

Let me know how many you want to take off my hands:

EMAIL me: pronator@gmail.com

• your real name
  • your GS Twins ID
  • how many chargers you want

That's it.

----------------------- END update from Thurs, 24 March ------------------------

There haven't been any response but I thought I'd post up anyways.

Good news: the chargers are here!

GREAT news: they came with the brackets!

Here's what they look like basking on my laminate desk:

$14 each

$5 shipping USPS Priority (up to 12 chargers; that’s how many I can fit in one flat rate envelope)

1. EMAIL me: pronator@gmail.com

2. Tell me:

• your real name
  • your GS Twins ID
  • how many chargers you want

That's it. [/b]

Note about compatibility:

From what I've read on various sites and forums, they're good with Apple iPhone, Apple iPod, Blackberry, Garmin GPS,Droid, HTC EVO, Vholdr helmet cams, etc. Most things that have a USB power requirements of DC 5V +/-0.25 and 1A max. Not compatible with some Motorola devices. Please read the info found in the OP links.

Note about shipping:

One of my pet peeves is paying excessive shipping for a low priced item: $7 shipping for a $0.39 bolt?! I totally get it.

But I'm a 9 to 5 worker - not a business - so USPS priority is the most convenient way for me to send these out. The packaging is free and I can pay for shipping as needed rather than buying a bunch of stamps and mailing envelopes in advance. Sorry there aren't more options. :(

Note about refunds:

There aren't any. I don't expect any problems, but I want to be very upfront about this. I'm doing this to share a discounted price. I'll package them up and send them out - at cost. I can't pay for return shipping or give refunds.

-------------------------- original post --------------------------

Hi all,

I was going to pick up a couple of these for myself and wanted to see if there was any interest. I would basically buy "bulk" and sell the extras to members who want them.

Just wanted to see if it's worth the savings or if I should just buy mine and move on. :)

$14 + ship (1st class w/ tracking? UPS?)

Interested? Just reply to this thread. I'll see what it looks like in a week (Fri, 4 March).

* Direct connect to 12 VDC system (Input voltage is DC 12V +/-4)
    * Powers down to USB power requirements (DC 5V +/-0.25 and 1A max)
    * Heavy Duty All Weather Design with “Zippo” Cap Design
    * Mounting Bracket is available
    * Easy to open and use
    * Resistance again splash water, not water immerge

The compact all weather USB single power outlet/charger provides a dependable source of power/charging capability for electrical accessories using USB adapter plug. The one piece protection cap is new, attached to the outlet so it is always available, easy to open and visually attractive. The all weather straight cord is direct connecting to 12V power system, this system is engineered to power down from 12V to the USB power requirements of DC 5V +/-0.25 and 1A max.

The ones I'm buying come from the same place as those sold below but don't have anything fancy - no brackets, no special end plug. You can add what you want or just hardwire it to your bike.

You can see how it's sold on these sites:

CycleNutz - out of stock

Burnsmoto

3BR Powersports
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:23:18 AM by pronator »

Offline pronator

• AMA Superbike Racer
Re: Interested? All Weather USB Outlet
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:19:58 AM »
They're here - see the original post!

Offline pronator

• AMA Superbike Racer
Re: All Weather USB Outlet - NOW AVAILABLE!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:06:46 PM »
Bump for videos of install on my GS:

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=138865

Offline parker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
    • GS500F Pics
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:08:55 AM »
I'm interested in purchasing one and installing it when I learn how to do stuff with the electric side of it :P

2007 Suzuki GS500F - http://ejparker.com

Offline bkrtim

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »
Email sent!
2009 SV650s
2000 GS500e

Offline tt_four

• Gs500ness
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 02:54:20 PM »
Email sent!

I didn't see anything in your post about paying for it, I assume you're not to that stage yet correct? 

Offline pronator

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »
Hi guys,

Yes, I'm definitely at the stage of taking payment and sending them out. See the SVRiders forum link because that's where I've been most active (read: that's where folks are taking these off my hands).

Here's the info you need:

$14 each

1. EMAIL me: pronator@gmail.com

2. Tell me:

* your real name
    * your GS Twins ID
    * how many chargers you want

That's it. I'll reply with an email on how to pay, etc. Sending it to my email account just makes it so much easier to organize and keep track of.

Thanks!
Shelley

Offline pronator

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:32:17 PM »

Offline pronator

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »
I'm interested in purchasing one and installing it when I learn how to do stuff with the electric side of it :P

Hey Parker - did you send me the email about shipping to Australia?

In terms of electrical, check out the SVRider forum where I talk about how to set it up. Read through the thread - it's really helpful.

Bottom line: you actually don't need to know ANYTHING about the electrical except for how to connect this cable to the battery. :) And then plug your phone/gps/etc into the usb port.

Offline pronator

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 04:22:11 PM »
These guys just got theirs yesterday!  :woohoo:

• tt_four
  • bkrtim

Thank you bump! :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Mart3y

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 12:21:40 AM »
e-mail sent  :thumb:
2002 GS500

Offline pronator

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 08:55:05 AM »

Hey Mart3y,

Thanks, but I haven't received an email yet. Can you resend if you're still interested? :)

Offline Mart3y

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »

Hey Mart3y,

Thanks, but I haven't received an email yet. Can you resend if you're still interested? :)

Yeah, sorry about that, i meant to get back to you today, but it was all go at work lol.

I am still interested, but Dad has a couple friends that may want one so i'll find out monday and get back to you with how many i want  :icon_mrgreen:
2002 GS500

Offline tt_four

• Gs500ness
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 11:03:17 AM »
Just figured I'd update incase anyone was curious about these.... Mine came in about 2 days, took a little time to get it sorted because I have no idea what I'm doing with electronics, but I did get it wired up and everything works great! Let me know if you're having trouble wiring it up, because I probably made just about every mistake you could when I did mine.

Offline parker

• AMA Supersport Racer
    • GS500F Pics
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:12 AM »
Just figured I'd update incase anyone was curious about these.... Mine came in about 2 days, took a little time to get it sorted because I have no idea what I'm doing with electronics, but I did get it wired up and everything works great! Let me know if you're having trouble wiring it up, because I probably made just about every mistake you could when I did mine.

Lulz, I ended up getting one but it's sitting on my desk because I don't want to stuff anything up :P

What mistakes did you make?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:20:34 AM by parker »
2007 Suzuki GS500F - http://ejparker.com

Offline pronator

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »
Yeah, sorry about that, i meant to get back to you today, but it was all go at work lol.

I am still interested, but Dad has a couple friends that may want one so i'll find out monday and get back to you with how many i want  :icon_mrgreen:

No worries - just wanted to make sure my I didn't delete it by accident. Yeah, it's a great deal if you can get a group in on it. Shipping is only $5 for up to 12 chargers. I doubt you'll need that many but that's how many I was able to fit into a $5 flat fee envelope.  :thumb:

Offline tt_four

• Gs500ness
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 05:06:08 PM »
What mistakes did you make?

Well I hate to admit it, because Shelley asked if there was any chance I had the wires crossed, and I said that I couldn't have, because I paid special attention to make sure I matched up red with red and black with black. I went and bought a new fuse, I cut up my SAE connector cable to remove the fuse thinking maybe the fuse block was bad, still nothing, I went to the auto parts store and bought a new SAE connector, and still nothing. Just for fun I flipped the cables around and it worked perfectly.

In my defense, and apparent lack of electrical knowledge, I assumed I needed to match red to red and black to black, but I actually had to attach the black USB wire to the red side of the battery tender plug, and the red USB wire to the black side of the battery tender plug. I feel dumb for wasting all that time and effort before I flipped the wires around, but still, i'm sure that's a mistake I'll make again. Just electrical tape every thing together before you bother soldering and heat shrink wrapping it.

Offline pronator

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
Don't feel bad. I only asked you because I made the same mistake!  :icon_mrgreen:

Glad you got it working though!  :cheers:

Offline tt_four

• Gs500ness
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 03:46:20 AM »
Think I figured out why I had it wired up, and don't feel as bad now. The SAE plug I used was from the end of the battery that is wired for power to go from the positive wire to the plug, not receive it. When I cut up the spare plug I had and hooked it up to my USB port, the side of the plug that was actually now receiving the power now had the black wire since it was just flipped around. I assumed I should line up red/red and black/black, but it actually needs wired up backwards since I was using the plug for the opposite side of the connection than it was meant for. I just thought about it and checked the extension I bought to use and noticed that the 2 plugs are wired up opposite of each other for that same reason.

Offline bkrtim

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 02:31:22 AM »
Think I figured out why I had it wired up, and don't feel as bad now. The SAE plug I used was from the end of the battery that is wired for power to go from the positive wire to the plug, not receive it. When I cut up the spare plug I had and hooked it up to my USB port, the side of the plug that was actually now receiving the power now had the black wire since it was just flipped around. I assumed I should line up red/red and black/black, but it actually needs wired up backwards since I was using the plug for the opposite side of the connection than it was meant for. I just thought about it and checked the extension I bought to use and noticed that the 2 plugs are wired up opposite of each other for that same reason.
So what you are saying is when I wire an SAE plug to the USB port, I need to do it black/red and red/black in order for it to work?
2009 SV650s
2000 GS500e