Author Topic: Syntax's GS500 Journey  (Read 57 times)

Online syntax_error

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Syntax's GS500 Journey
« on: September 16, 2014, 02:10:20 PM »
Hey guys been lurking here since I bought my GS in 2012 now I think its time I show you the fruits of my labor seeing as how i farmed a lot of good information of this site. I was involved in a bad bike accident in 98 and never thought I would get on a bike again. Broke my back and hip several skull fractures, shattered my jaw, left arm, and right knee and lost the sight in my left eye. I never really even thought about riding again and all of the sudden my neighbor comes and ask me to help him transport a bike he had for sale. I went and picked it up and took it to his sale and asked him what he wanted for it. He said 600 bucks and I did'nt think about it. The guy came and he couldn't get the bike started as it was basically a mess. My neighbor was hard up for money so I offered him 400 bucks and he could leave it in my truck. So the bike was mine. I took the bike into my kitchen and started tearing it apart to clean the carbs and redo some fuel lines and do some general fixing up so i could get it ready for resale. This is the bike after i cleaned it up and got it running with a couple new touch's i decided to do the monster seat conversion on the bike and the forward wiring was just horendous so i got a chinese scooter headlight that was large enough to hold the rats nest. i wasnt ready to tackle the wiring just yet and added some led turn signals and im not sure what the tail light came off of I bought it at a swap meet.

it sat in my kitchen for about 5 or 6 months with me afraid of getting on it, with good reason i might add. As soon as i found an interested buyer for the bike i knew i would have to test ride it and sure enough 15 min later i new i couldnt get rid of it. I rode the bike for about 4000miles till the motor ate a valve shim. Then the work began.
I bought a wrecked 07F with a v and h exhaust and vortex clip on but the kicker was it had a fresh engine with an ingnition advance mod and a big bore kit and port on the head.

So i started striping everything and fitting it to my bike tell me what you think of the rest the pictures speak for them selves. I left the pairing system on the new engine and added a small oil breather filter to it. Also have lunch box air filter with the vance and hines. Jetting is 22 pilot 65 mid main and 147.5 main with clip in 3rd postition and 2 and a half turns out in the mix. Had to go to a digitial tach and had about 45+ hours in the wiring harness. Put a 150 tire on the back and a lithium ion battery. but everything on the bike is now 07 or newer. Except front brake and forks.

Will post up some of my most recent pics as well.

Online syntax_error

• Local Club Racer
Re: Syntax's GS500 Journey
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »
The lighting makes my bike look really dirty but its not. Like i said i will get some better pics of the finished product for you guys.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 02:33:17 PM »
COOL post and interesting story!!  Lots of pics and details on another project helped out by the info on this awesome forum  :woohoo: Thank you for sharing and (a belated) welcome to the forum!  :icon_mrgreen:  Glad that you recovered and are back on two wheels.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:34:50 PM by ShowBizWolf »
1998 GS500E... best $1000 this gal has ever spent!!! :-D

Online syntax_error

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »