Author Topic: Low top end power please help!  (Read 132 times)

Offline Battman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Low top end power please help!
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:55:04 PM »
Hello everyone. If like to start by saying thank you I bought an 06 gs500f this summer that wasn't running and got it running with a lot of help from threads here. My bike has about 12,000 miles on it. I put fresh gas and spark plugs in it. Cleaned the carbs changed the stator and oil. Now that it is running and on the road I noticed its hard to get it to go above 60 to 65. This is my first bike so I'm not clear on all the terminology but it seems that it's lacking in top end power. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? Other than not wanting to go fast i don't think there are any other problems. It takes a few minutes to warm up but once its running it idles good and seems fine. Thanks in advance

Offline Ne0n

• Local Club Racer
  • German guy
Re: Low top end power please help!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 07:14:32 AM »
Did you check the air filter?
Also there were some "detuned" bikes in some countries, which only had 27kw instead of 34kw.
Maybe yours is one of those? If so, you have to alter the carburettor back to it's original state.

Offline mr72

• World Supersport Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »
How did you "clean" the carburetors?

If you sprayed carburetor cleaner into/onto them then you may have damaged one or both of the rubber diaphragms that pull the slide up and therefore open the main jet.

Many different things can cause a lack of top end power. Most likely you are just never getting the main jet open, because the slides/needles are stuck. But it could be a dozen other things. Start with checking the rubber diaphragms and that the slides work correctly, check for vacuum leaks.

Offline iamhiding

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:25:53 AM »
it's fine the gs doesn't have any top end power  :icon_lol:  :icon_mrgreen: :thumb: haha nah it will probably be a carb problem, most likely just needing cleaned and set up. pretty much what they said ^
current project list:
//cbr 600 f3 fighter
//gsxr 1100 mental oldskool supersport
//gs500 daily rat tracker cafe fighter that changes every couple of month... cafe fighter?