Author Topic: Starter isn't firing on Tha Party (formerly The Aftermath, aka The Bumblebike)  (Read 94 times)

Offline yappahgo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
I've been bump-starting it -- not too hard, just remember to turn the choke off or you'll be wondering why the idle is a scary, screaming roar.

Multimeter came in the mail today. I'm going to get in there, trace some connections and see if I can find the issue.

Offline yappahgo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
I took apart the right-hand switch, opened up the headlight and checked some connections. All the connections tested clean (0 mV, so, connected). I shorted the starter relay to send power to the starter motor and the bike started up no problem.

After I did that, the starter button started working again. So I probably have a loose connection somewhere.

I threw a nice fat wire in my under-seat-toolkit. If the problem comes back I can just bypass the relay again.

One problem: when I opened up the starter-button/throttle/kill-switch housing, there was a metal bracket holding the starter switch in place. I didn't take a picture of how it was assembled and I couldn't figure it out when I went to put it back together, so I just left it out.

I looked for some microfiche to tell me how this goes together, but no luck. I think it's probably there to reinforce the plastic of the switch against gradual vibration damage, or something. I think it should be fine for a while, but if someone can tell me how it's supposed to go in I would appreciate it!

Here's the part, and the starter switch side of the assembly where it's supposed to go.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:29:19 AM by yappahgo »