Author Topic: 92 GS500E let the project begin.  (Read 5979 times)

Offline Daeouse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
  • MotoSquirrel
Re: 92 GS500E let the project begin.
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2016, 05:15:26 PM »
 :cheers:
Jon "MotoSquirrel"

The basket case is home!!! :woohoo:
The WIP Thread
My Blog!

Online Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2016, 07:29:28 PM »
Nice work Fink! When are you planning on having it back up and running?
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline The fink

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2016, 11:06:11 PM »
Nice work Fink! When are you planning on having it back up and running?
Thank you as always Rich. That's the million dollar question I guess, I'm hoping by late summer of this year, but I'm not going to rush things, between work, family, and all the other life things, it's taking longer than I would like. I'm the little train that could at this point, slow and steady wins the race.  :cheers:
Be nice to people, that's all.

Online Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2016, 11:15:03 PM »
All good man - I get it. A bunch of shake down runs even towards the end of the season will be great. That's how you find out what needs "tweaked" over winter. 
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline AssassinGT

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2016, 02:19:57 AM »
This build is beautiful!  Keep goin!  inspiring.

Offline The fink

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2016, 06:14:38 AM »
All good man - I get it. A bunch of shake down runs even towards the end of the season will be great. That's how you find out what needs "tweaked" over winter.
That's exactly what I'm thinking as well Rich. I hope that's what happens.

Offline The fink

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2016, 06:15:59 AM »
This build is beautiful!  Keep goin!  inspiring.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the kind words. I'm plugging along! Keep watching  :thumb:

Offline The fink

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2016, 06:42:46 AM »
Ok so let's talk about the tail on this thing. Like I've mentioned before, I bought it from steezin, sheesh, I guess over 3 years ago at this point. Whoever started it had good intentions, but it was never quite how I thought it should be. It looks like they had the intention of using small round lights, which wouldn't look bad, but I've decided to take it in a different direction with the cat eye brake light.

First thing was to make some plugs to fill in the holes.

Next is making a home for the light to set into. I had some Baltic Birch plywood lying around collecting dust so that's what I used.

And there you have it, all done! Just kidding, just an idea of what it will look like....kinda.

Ok so I made a little piece that drops down to attach a new license plate/blinker plate. It's a bit wonky looking at this point but it gets better.

Here is the license plate/blinker plate I made. Just bought some sheet metal at the hardware store and made it just big enough for the plate. I made some ears for the blinkers and bent them over.

Well this is pretty much it, pretty simple, just a bit of time and patience. Now onto everyone's favorite...fiberglass  :cookoo:

Let it begin. I'm further along with this, but don't have the pics to prove it, so we will end here for now.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • World Supersport Racer
  • You have learned your last learn
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2016, 04:35:01 PM »
Super awesome, great update  :D

And I know how you feel about getting anxious... that's how I feel about my car.

BUT you are totally right, and it's the same thing I keep telling myself... between work and family and just getting through the holidays and winter and all that, projects take time and there's no point in rushing things because quality will suffer and that's no good  :nono:

One thing at a time and it will totally be worth it in the end  :D
This gal loves her 1998 GS500E :-D
Superbike bars, 140/80 Michelin Pilot Activ rear tire, 20w fork oil, fenderectomy, '04 gixxer nose fairing and signals, custom front fender, Chuck81 fork brace, full stainless exhaust, GSF style tail lens and a whole lot of TLC

Offline The fink

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #189 on: March 29, 2016, 05:45:42 AM »
Super awesome, great update  :D

And I know how you feel about getting anxious... that's how I feel about my car.

BUT you are totally right, and it's the same thing I keep telling myself... between work and family and just getting through the holidays and winter and all that, projects take time and there's no point in rushing things because quality will suffer and that's no good  :nono:

One thing at a time and it will totally be worth it in the end  :D
Hey ShowBiz, good to hear from you. Do you have a thread with your car? I know I'm pretty sure Iv'e seen one.
Yeah your right about not rushing things, Iv'e always been a if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right type of person. I know there is an end in sight. Anyways, thanks for the kind words.  :cheers: :thumb:

Offline ShowBizWolf

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #190 on: March 29, 2016, 01:33:09 PM »
Well... I started that thread in the odds and ends section... for people to share random projects all in one place... began to talk about my car but then I kinda got distracted with life in general LOL

I used to have a ton of info and pics up on cardomain years ago but then they switched the format and everything fell to crap.

The folder I have of progress pics on my car is huge... maybe I will someday make a thread for it on here. There's no point in going back to cardomain and this is the only forum I participate in regularly. If nothing else, it would be nice to have the project documented on here in case my laptop dies or something !!

Thanks for the interest !!! AND for keeping us posted on your project... I love it  :star:
Superbike bars, 140/80 Michelin Pilot Activ rear tire, 20w fork oil, fenderectomy, '04 gixxer nose fairing and signals, custom front fender, Chuck81 fork brace, full stainless exhaust, GSF style tail lens and a whole lot of TLC

Online lucas

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #191 on: March 29, 2016, 05:46:43 PM »
You should protect your files by backing them up.  You can get an inexpensive external hard drive and use some software called All Way Sync to keep everything backed up without making a mess of duplicated files.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #192 on: March 29, 2016, 06:05:42 PM »
Oooo that's a good idea!! Right now all I do is keep 3 copies of that folder... one on my laptop, one on a thumb drive I keep with me and one on a thumb drive that doesn't go anywhere really.

Offline TheGreenWeenie

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:40 PM »
Hi Fink. First off; my condolences about your brother. Secondly, you're work is pretty outstanding. I just picked up a pretty nasty '96. slowly getting it back to just road worthy is an adventure. I'm excited to watch this progress for you. maybe even one day ill have my own build thread like the big boys.

keep it up man, you can't leave us all hanging for too long in between posts.  :thumb:
2003 V-Star 1100 ] 1996 GS500 non-rolling project

Offline Hupjai

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2016, 01:37:29 PM »
I just read the entire thread.... couldn't stop after post 1!

Great work, I'm super envious of your skill and workmanship! :cheers:

Offline The fink

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2016, 03:49:41 AM »
Hi Fink. First off; my condolences about your brother. Secondly, you're work is pretty outstanding. I just picked up a pretty nasty '96. slowly getting it back to just road worthy is an adventure. I'm excited to watch this progress for you. maybe even one day ill have my own build thread like the big boys.

keep it up man, you can't leave us all hanging for too long in between posts.  :thumb:
Greenweenie (lol by the way) I appreciate your compliment. I've been following your thread, keep up the good work man, looks like it will be a cool project. Keep up the good work, and welcome to the board. Just remember, we like pics, so keep them coming! :thumb:

Offline The fink

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2016, 03:51:55 AM »
I just read the entire thread.... couldn't stop after post 1!

Great work, I'm super envious of your skill and workmanship! :cheers:
Thank you very much. A lot of the things I do I'm a mere novice, but I like to try different things. Keep watching :thumb:

Offline TheGreenWeenie

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2016, 04:10:27 PM »
Sweet man thanks!. I detoured the engine last night. No pics. It was boring. But I'm dropping of the frame tonight after work along with the tail piece for some slight fabrication. I can't weld shoo i have to outsource that part. Will have pics off that once it's done though. Can't wait for updates from your end.
2003 V-Star 1100 ] 1996 GS500 non-rolling project