Author Topic: GS500E Has Power But No Spark - Need Your Thoughts  (Read 96 times)

Offline tch973

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
GS500E Has Power But No Spark - Need Your Thoughts
« on: April 17, 2016, 06:33:35 PM »
First off I canít tell you how many posts Iíve read here but this is my first time actually posting. Iím new to riding and Iím very lucky that a friend has given me a 2002 GS500E to learn on (he just bought a new bike). The problem is the bike doesnít run. Thus, Iím at the beginning of the riding season but canít start my bike. Iím hoping someone with more knowledge than me can steer me in the right direction.

The symptoms are as follows- before it died on him my friend was increasingly having problems starting the bike. One night riding home it died on him and he couldnít get it started; had to have it towed. The diagnosis is that lights turn on, (headlights, dash etc.) but there is no spark.

After reading many posts from here on the subject and armed with a wiring diagram we started working on the bike today. As the old battery was very weak I bought a new one. According to the multimeter this new battery should be more than adequate so that should not be a factor. Following many of the suggestions posted here we checked the following-sidestand relay, sidestand switch, turn signal relay, neutral switch, fuse, turn signal switch. We believe these all to be working though weíre by no means adept at wiring.

Interestingly in going through the wiring we did notice that the brake light only illuminates when the rear brake is pressed; nothing happens when the front is pressed.

Firstly, based on the above symptoms does anyone have any educated suggestions on where to focus our efforts? I'm hoping the brake light matter in addition to no having a spark sounds familiar to one of you.

Based on research I know we still have to definitively check the coils, engine starter switch, engine stop switch, clutch relay, and starter relay. For these areas left to test (i.e. engine starter switch) my understanding is to use a multimeter to get an ohm reading and see if it matches whatís listed within an acceptable range for that part? Is that correct? If its outside of that range the part has failed?

Thanks for in advance for your input. I canít wait to get this bike on the road and start riding!

Offline tch973

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Re: GS500E Has Power But No Spark - Need Your Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
Realizing I should've put this in the general discussion. As I can't seem to delete this I'll repost there and please consider this post dead. Sorry for the noob move :)