Author Topic: start button 3D model  (Read 51 times)

Offline sanderr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
start button 3D model
« on: June 14, 2018, 01:54:00 PM »
I hesitate to even call this a project, as it is very minor, but I thought it might be useful to people facing the same problem I did.
One day, my start button broke off when starting my 2008 GS500. I have modelled and 3D printed a replacement. It's probably not an exact replica, as I did not have the original, but it works great, and I suspect it will look great as well, once I paint over the dull gray that came out of the printer.

I printed the model hollow, and it seems to be solid enough. It used less than 2 grams of filament, so it should be cheap to print.
For printing, you only need the stl file. There might be something wrong with the scaling, but you can easily adjust that when printing. The width (length of the cylinder) is supposed to be 13.7 mm. The attached ipt file can be opened in Autodesk Inventor (and possibly other CAD programs) if you desire to edit the model before printing. If anyone requires another format, let me know, and I'll see if I can convert it.

Disclaimer: before I thought of printing a replacement, I ordered a handle (including start button) from a 2003 GS500. The switch system appeared to be different than my own, so I could not use that button. Also my horn and pass buttons appear to be this other, incompatible form. So I would suggest you check whether the model matches your needs before printing.

EDIT: I appear to be unable to upload files other than images. Feel free to send me an email requesting above mentioned files.

Offline alpo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
Re: start button 3D model
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 10:50:57 PM »
Very cool! 3D printing is da bomb.  :cheers: