1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R

Started by cbrfxr67, April 12, 2011, 02:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrfxr67

Nothing special today.  Got somemore supplies but ran out of time before I could make a lot of headway.  I'm thinking of cutting the lower tail braces off at the main frame and then sticking some vertical red leds right there.  Respect to Seamax for inspiration on this build btw.  God Bless America.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Shepa

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

cbrfxr67

Been working and reworking the tail section.  I didn't think it was going to be as complicated as it is.  I could've just slapped something up there but I want to ride two up and have to reinforce it to be able to carry weight.  So through the week I've been trying to figure out how to go about this.  I copied Seamax's design early on with the lower supports and then I built my way back to the end of the tail.   tb0lt gave me a proper tip to keep the tail from being too long and I've been readjusting, eyeballing, adjusting all week long.  Pain in the shaZam!  Well made progress today and took a couple of pictures.  The plastic for the 04 is too wide at the bottom towards the tank and the plastics for the 06 are too short and the frame covers don't line up well with the tank.  I think I'll go with the 04 and take a 2" section out of the middle to make it fit better.  Tomorrow, plan on doing more reinforcing, grinding, checking my welds, and finishing the subframe if possible.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

4strings

'93 GS500E
-15T Front Sprocket
-Bar-end Mirrors
-ProGrip Gel Grips
-GSX600 Rear Shock
-CBR900RR Front Pegs
-Fenderectomy
-Custom Stealth Tail light
-Scorpion Battery
-Progressive Fork Springs
-WOLO Dual Tone Air Horn
-12V Accessory Outlet
-Ebay Carbon Look [lol]Levers
-CNC Aluminum Fork Brace

cbrfxr67

Today worked on the tail more.  Welded in more boxing and support and finally jumped up and down on it for the final test.  Squeezing the tail to fit of course makes it bow so I went to town with a burr to alleviate the stress.  I didn't want to start bodywork this early, but luckily I'm handy with the plastic welder.  haha.  I need a seat, maybe a rear cowl or rear seat to figure out where to weld in my seat brackets.  I think I will get a later year gs500 seat and cut it to fit.  I want it to look right on the tank.  I didn't get as much done today as I wanted, being Mother's day and all, but at least I managed a few hours.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Kind of a lowsy depressing day today.  Didn't feel like doing much after work so did some 'busy' work degreasing & scrubbing.  My oil pan is cracked on my 600 motor & I got one in that was in need of some cleaning.  That was it for today.  blah
-buddha

gregvhen

Does the countershaft sprocket line up with the rear sprocket? Sorry if you addressed this before I only skimmed the first few pages

cbrfxr67

The carbs and the alignment of the sprockets were my first two main concerns after deciding I could pull off the exhaust clearance.  Checked, rechecked and checked again and felt everything was ok to proceed.  I read the forums everyday, I think I'm on page 501 today and I've seen over and over where guys said you couldn't use an inline 4 because the sprockets wouldn't line up, but I think it'll be good.
-buddha

cbrfxr67

Got a new lid today.  It is an AFX-39 ds.  I wanted something a little different and decided to try this one.  Inside is really comfy, shield is clear with no distortion.  I wanted a visor for the afternoon Houston (inferno) sun.  I'll have to update later to tell how it works and what the wind is like on it.  It has good venting and I like it.  Kind of looks like Master Chief from Halo though.  haha  What do you guys think?
-buddha

The Buddha

Quote from: cbrfxr67 on May 01, 2011, 06:56:50 AM
I might have to change the title,...to quote tb0lt, it's a GS 600 now.   :icon_mrgreen:

GS600RR to be precise.
Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

The Buddha

Changed the topic. If you dont like it, let me know what you would like.
Cool.
Buddha.

cbrfxr67

Tonite cleaned up my engine some & then remade one of the engine mounts, cut up some plugs to fill in the holes in rear subframe & the two where the lower subframe connected.  Didn't get to weld tonight but looking forward to plugging those holes tomorrow evening.  Then I'll put the engine back in and start figuring out wiring and where electrical components, etc need to be mounted, oh and the battery.  Picked up a cheap 600rr seat before I could get a later GS seat.  Need to find a rear seat or cowl to get my seat brackets welded in. 
And thanks Buddha.  I'm on page 500 twenty something and still haven't come across one single (non-gs) engine swap with pictures.  Didn't you do one already?  Where is that link?  Yes, I searched for it and got nothing,....?
-buddha

werase643

it is/was a gs/gr650.... probably sitting in his garage covered in 1/2 inch of dust

my DR-GS650 probably has 1/8 inch of dust on it
want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

The Buddha

Yea that GR swap is now looking like a huge waste of time ... cos GSXR's and CBR's that have been crunched are a dime a dozen. Seriously when you fininsh this, we're gonna see a flood of GSXR and CBR and ZX and R6 and what not swaps. One fool already has a R6 motor in a chopper ... so the GS is next I wanna say.
Cool.
Buddha.

kml.krk

awesome build. keep up the great work and pace!
Yellow 2004: K&N Lunchbox, Leo Vince SBK, 2005 GSXR Turn Signals, 20/65/147.5, 15T front sprocket, Progressive Springs etc...

"Bikes get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no bikes." - Phineas

Shepa

Quote from: The Buddha on May 11, 2011, 10:51:43 AM
Yea that GR swap is now looking like a huge waste of time ... cos GSXR's and CBR's that have been crunched are a dime a dozen. Seriously when you fininsh this, we're gonna see a flood of GSXR and CBR and ZX and R6 and what not swaps. One fool already has a R6 motor in a chopper ... so the GS is next I wanna say.
Cool.
Buddha.
You said it bro.
This sunday I'm off to check out a '96 F3 with 25k km's on it.
Hopefuly, the project starts by the end of the month.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

The Buddha

Get the RR motor, its FI and smaller ... the F3 motors were huge.
Cool.
Buddha.

werase643

you should finish it.... or bring it to me and pay me slave labor to finish it (X per hr times whatever it takes)  then you can polish the rest of it
want Iain's money to support my butt in kens shop

The Buddha

Quote from: werase643 on May 11, 2011, 01:23:55 PM
you should finish it.... or bring it to me and pay me slave labor to finish it (X per hr times whatever it takes)  then you can polish the rest of it

I might just do that ... but its shelved till next year likely. Maybe this winter ...
I actually will bring you something better ... How about a GR/Buell Blast Basterd ... yea ... then we slap on a kat FE and a DR swingarm and ...
Oh wait ... no truck ... crammed full of crap and electrical shutdown ... grrrr, K winter ...
Cool.
Buddha.

cbrfxr67

"Looks like my achievement of the weekend (fitting a buell blast tank on a GR frame) now is just to be thrown by the side of the road man." -Buddha
I'm still waiting for that pic!
-buddha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk