Author Topic: 1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R  (Read 133768 times)

Offline Shepa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
  • The day lasts forever... only the planets rotate.
Re: 1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600RR
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2011, 07:10:03 AM »
chrome the radiator perhaps? or color match the endcaps to the rest of the bike? might make it blend in more and not be so boooing
Yes, I thought about chrome grill or something...

Something like this (maybe too much):

or like this (minimalistic detail):
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2011, 02:26:35 PM »
I guess I'm already used to it.  Looks A Ok to me!  :star:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline Shepa

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2011, 08:07:06 AM »
First test ride yesterday...

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2011, 02:23:49 PM »
THAT'S IT????!  What a teaser that was!  How was it????  :technical:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline xunedeinx

• Hard to Start in the Morning
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • World Supersport Racer
  • I operate without spark plugs...
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2011, 09:00:36 PM »
I think i speak for everyone on here...

Video, please? :bowdown:

Offline Shepa

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
Sorry... no videos just yet.
I was so much enjoying it, I forgot to hand my cell-phone to anyone to film the ride.
Just got this last light picture after the ride.

First impressions...
There's no comparison to GS. It should feel familiar since it's basically the same bike... but it doesn't.
First thing I've noticed is the lack of engine braking I was so accustomed on GS.
Second... I'll have to adjust the footpegs (cbr's), they're too high so there's more bodyweight on the front (I felt my forearms pumping a bit), even with raisers.
As a result, the steering appears a bit... slow, but it's too early to tell, since I hadn't test it on the open road (and the footpegs thing).
The power... the torque... well... pretty much the same.  :icon_mrgreen: (at about 1/8 of the throttle opened, that is).  ;)

And today my heart almost broke when the cam chain tensioner finally passed away...
Yesterday it was (slightly) rattling just for a minute upon turning the bike on (till the oil pressure builds up), but today... it just died I suppose.
A couple of panic phone calls... but no luck, no-one had the spare, so...
Tesla drilled the original one's housing, and converted the damn thing to manually adjusted type!  :woohoo:

OMG... what a sweet... sweet sound this engine has, with no cam chain rattling... music to my ears...
Ahhh yes... one more thing... compared to GS's... this gearbox is so soft, I hardly noticed the gear changes...

Well... that's it for today.

We got plenty of work to do yet, adapt the pegs, mount the headlight, figure out the wiring for the new gauges, wrap everything up so it's not flying around the forks, find some piece of pipe for muffler mounting... and test the bike properly.

Hopefully, there'll be some videos... X-rated ofcourse, cuz the new ride is... orgasmic.  :D

Offline ben2go

• Motorcycle God!
  • DOA
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2011, 12:27:35 AM »
I agree about the GS gear box.It is a little clunky compared to some other bikes.
PICS are GONE never TO return.

Offline Shepa

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2011, 05:54:58 AM »
Just one more (very) interesting thing I must share...

Since the output shaft is now "higher" than swingarm's pivot point, the drive chain actually extends (not tightens) when you sit on the bike.
Therefore, when unloaded (extended suspension), the chain has to be tensioned to it's full length in order to have some slack when you sit on the bike.
At first, I thought there's a possibility of too loose chain when two onboard, but it seems fine. I'll need to test it on bumpy road to make sure.

I suppose it'd be perfect if all three points (output shaft, swingarm pivot point and rearwheel shaft) were in-lined, but... who cares, I can't wait to go for a ride!

Finally there's no way to overtight the chain.  :icon_mrgreen: With my homemade automatic chain oiler, it should last... well even longer.

Offline ben2go

• Motorcycle God!
  • DOA
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2011, 05:44:31 PM »
Just one more (very) interesting thing I must share...

Since the output shaft is now "higher" than swingarm's pivot point, the drive chain actually extends (not tightens) when you sit on the bike.
Therefore, when unloaded (extended suspension), the chain has to be tensioned to it's full length in order to have some slack when you sit on the bike.
At first, I thought there's a possibility of too loose chain when two onboard, but it seems fine. I'll need to test it on bumpy road to make sure.

I suppose it'd be perfect if all three points (output shaft, swingarm pivot point and rearwheel shaft) were in-lined, but... who cares, I can't wait to go for a ride!

Finally there's no way to overtight the chain.  :icon_mrgreen: With my homemade automatic chain oiler, it should last... well even longer.

What about using a spring loaded idler sprocket to keep down chain whip?

Offline Shepa

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
What about using a spring loaded idler sprocket to keep down chain whip?
I don't think it'll be needed, for now it seems ok.

This morning I took it for a ride (without headlight and mirrors) to an exhaust workshop to make a piece of curved pipe for muffler mounting.
I enjoyed every second of the ride, even without the rear brake (yesterday I forgot to top up breaking fluid after bleeding).
The bike is too much fun to ride. The only downside is I'll need a new rear tire pretty soon, cuz the bike loooooves powerdrifting.  :icon_mrgreen:

This evening we finally wired the gauges (still need to make a new mounting points for them)... sorry, I was so exhausted I completely forgot to take any pictures.

Offline Chancegs1996

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2011, 01:56:42 AM »
How fast do u think this bike is gonna be cbrfxr67? What would be the top speed? Ive looked it up but every review ive found says different things...  :dunno_black:

Offline crzydood17

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »
i would be very careful with full throttle and top speed... that is triple if not more the stock power... running through small tires and a weak frame...
2004 GS500F (Sold)
2001 GS500 (being torn apart)
1992 GS500E (being rebuilt)

Offline ben2go

• Motorcycle God!
  • DOA
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
i would be very careful with full throttle and top speed... that is triple if not more the stock power... running through small tires and a weak frame...

GS frame isn't weak.I have two that have been flipped at high speed.One was over the front of a car.Both are still square and usable.

Offline Shepa

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2011, 10:10:30 AM »
Well... since it's a non-faired bike, I don't think there'll be problem with top speed stability.
Given the wind pressure to my chest and helmet, I'd never reach the top speed anyway.  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
Btw, the front frame is now made of thicker material than original, and the engine is holding everything tightly together.

I'm running a 150/55 R17 rear tyre on Kat/Bandit wheel, maybe even install the 160, and for the front, I maybe swap the complete front end with Hornet's or Gixxer's, but that mod is yet to come... when I could afford it.
Right now, I'm planing to replace front callipers with some of 4 or 6-piston type (that Repsol Honda friend said he'll give them for free), just to improve the stopping power.

As of a complete package... I now consider the bike a naked cruiser with overtaking ability upgraded.
The gearing is 15 front (JT 520 conversion), 39 rear (standard GS), so the launch off the line is not so brutal as someone would think, but rather linear and strong, steady pull.
It would be if revving up to red line (13k) before every gear change, but it's somehow sweeter to ride in the midranges than to hear it scream...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:51:06 AM by Shepa »

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
 :bowdown: Fantastic stuff Shepa!  What else are you going to do to it before you call it 'done?'
-buddha

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
I agree about the GS gear box.It is a little clunky compared to some other bikes.

Man I would say yes to this one, but one thing I'll give the GS is ... the feel is immaculate. The thign also has the same throw from gear to gear and shifts very much that same exact way gear to gear and also year to year ... also one gear to another is also about the same distance in terms of rpm ... a good medium ratio transmission all the way across.
The MZ I am working/riding ... 1-2 is a huge jump in terms of rpm. Rev the thign till it turns blue in 1st and shift to 2nd and you'd be lugging the motor. Then 3-4 and 5 are very close.
Then there is the throw, 1-2 is a huge arc of the lever (making that lugging part worse cos it takes longer to shift) and 2-3 is shorter, and 4 and 5 and literally touch it and its there. WTF, these east germans are nuts. Oh wait a sec, its a yamaha ...  :cookoo: I'll agree though singles are the hardest to design transmissions for though.

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Offline xunedeinx

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
:bowdown: Fantastic stuff Shepa!  What else are you going to do to it before you call it 'done?'

Make a video, perhaps? :bowdown:

Offline Shepa

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2011, 07:30:49 AM »
Sorry guys, couple of minor issues left to take care of, so no videos just yet.

That exhaust pipe I got welded the other day has the wrong angle, so my boot heel is hitting the can, and the rear brake cannot be adjusted any lower (and it's a bit uncomfortably high at the moment) without hitting the pipe.

Second thing... I'll have to take a GPS measuring of the speedo deviation (I guess the precision is proportional to the price).

This morning I took the GS stock air filter out, since it somewhat choked the engine at higher speeds.
I guess I'll (or more likely Tesla :icon_mrgreen:) have to figure out some kind of higher flow filter. K&N costs a fortune I'm not willing to pay.

The problem as I see it is in lower capacity airbox, and lower volume of that carburettor intake box, but that was the only way to put everything under the GS gas tank.

What else...
The headlight beam has to be adjusted... and that's about it, I guess.

Offline xunedeinx

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2011, 01:05:34 PM »
There's a lot of round automotive filters like the stock filter that are larger, but may be able to be made fit by making the opening bigger..

Was considering it at one point, but decided the stocker is good enough until I decide to go buddha jets and lunchbox.

Offline GAS

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »

Second thing... I'll have to take a GPS measuring of the speedo deviation (I guess the precision is proportional to the price).

You're using that CB400 speedometer, right? Remember that not every bike uses the same ratio between wheel speed and cable speed.  Maybe CB400 is too different from GS500 mechanism. If this is the case you have two solutions:

1- Swap the wheel gear for a CB400 one (I don't believe it will fit)
2- Check the error with a GPS and make a new scale to that speedometer, open it and swap the scale.