Author Topic: 1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R  (Read 133770 times)

Offline ben2go

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • DOA
Re: 1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a GS600R
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2012, 04:29:49 AM »
What tank is that?It may be worth a shot instead of trying to make two tanks meld into one.

PICS are GONE never TO return.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #361 on: March 22, 2012, 02:05:30 AM »
Started my electrolytic rust remover on the tank tonight.  Was going to use some acid or try something like that but wanted to go with the electrode and see what happened.  Ok it looked more interesting, I admit it.

Did some more sanding on body work and made a template to start my 'base' for the supertank.

Was thinking how I originally wanted this to come out like Shep did his and now it has turned into a full fledged 'what the' build,....oh well, having fun with it.

Oh and Ben2, tank came off the 900 I scored a couple weeks back.  I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens.  If anything, it is better than the 'cover' I was working on with my homebrewed weld-a-tank.  But that was fun too, so I'm not too disappointed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:09:13 AM by cbrfxr67 »
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline ben2go

• Motorcycle God!
  • DOA
« Reply #362 on: March 22, 2012, 03:06:00 AM »
Started my electrolytic rust remover on the tank tonight.  Was going to use some acid or try something like that but wanted to go with the electrode and see what happened.  Ok it looked more interesting, I admit it.

Did some more sanding on body work and made a template to start my 'base' for the supertank.

Was thinking how I originally wanted this to come out like Shep did his and now it has turned into a full fledged 'what the' build,....oh well, having fun with it.

Oh and Ben2, tank came off the 900 I scored a couple weeks back.  I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens.  If anything, it is better than the 'cover' I was working on with my homebrewed weld-a-tank.  But that was fun too, so I'm not too disappointed.

Thanks for the info.I'm about a year out from tackling the super tank for my project bike.

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #363 on: March 23, 2012, 02:20:57 AM »

Checked my experiment today.  Looks like a cross between beef jerky and barnacles.  Scraped it off and put it back in.  This was a clean piece of steel when I started yesterday.  Tomorrow will change the water/soda solution out and let it go for another day.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:24:12 AM by cbrfxr67 »
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2012, 02:28:36 AM »
Whoa! If you didn't say what that was, I probably never would have guessed.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline Funderb

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
  • Terrified by the future, haunted by the past
« Reply #365 on: March 23, 2012, 04:12:32 AM »
Dude! that is awesome!
I have been reading about electrolysis to derust a tank, and I'm totally going to use it on the fzr1k when i get the chance. Its supposed to strip out all the crappily adhered tank liner too. That is some crazy stuff. I've heard welding rods are also a good and easy to clean anode.
Black '98 gs500 k&n Lbox, akrapovic slip-on, kat600 shock, progressive sproings, superbike handlebars, 40/147.5/3.5washers

"I'd rather ride then spend all my time fiddling trying to make it run perfectly." -Bombsquad

"Never let the destination cast a shadow over your journey towards it- live life"

Offline dropitlow88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
  • Ballin on a budget!
« Reply #366 on: March 23, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »
Dude! that is awesome!
I have been reading about electrolysis to derust a tank, and I'm totally going to use it on the fzr1k when i get the chance. Its supposed to strip out all the crappily adhered tank liner too. That is some crazy stuff. I've heard welding rods are also a good and easy to clean anode.
idk about welding rods bc of the flux. I used a coat hanger on mine. Let it bake for three days. it does work well. biggest problem I'm having now is leaky pin holes 

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #367 on: March 24, 2012, 02:35:13 AM »

Same again today.  Really looks like barnacles.  If only I had a S&W camera, you could see the little barnacle like formations on it.  Scraped it off and stuck it back in for the night.  Tomorrow will rinse tank with vinegar and see how it looks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:35:54 AM by cbrfxr67 »
-buddha

Offline Funderb

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #368 on: March 24, 2012, 03:08:27 AM »
idk about welding rods bc of the flux

Meh, maybe metal dowels then? CBRFXR, is that just a bit of sheet steel you are using, or bar stock?
Black '98 gs500 k&n Lbox, akrapovic slip-on, kat600 shock, progressive sproings, superbike handlebars, 40/147.5/3.5washers

"I'd rather ride then spend all my time fiddling trying to make it run perfectly." -Bombsquad

"Never let the destination cast a shadow over your journey towards it- live life"

Offline dropitlow88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
  • Ballin on a budget!
« Reply #369 on: March 24, 2012, 04:15:15 AM »
idk about welding rods bc of the flux

Meh, maybe metal dowels then? CBRFXR, is that just a bit of sheet steel you are using, or bar stock?
either would work fine. all you need is a sacrificial conductor. as long as it conducts electricity it will work. i like coat hangers because they can be bent and maneuvered easily. but anything will do, bar stock, thread all, sheet steel, whatever you have laying around. just make sure the tank is well vented. the process has a byproduct of hydrogen  :icon_eek: 

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #370 on: March 24, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Funder, it was actually an alternator bracket that was 3/16 maybe 1/4 thick. 

Today it looked the same again and I dumped the solution out.  Inside was better.  Strapped it to a couple of bungie cords and dumped a load of small nuts into it and every time I passed by I'd wind it up and let it go.  Did this for most of the morning while I was cleaning the porch.  Then rinsed it out and sprayed JB80 in it.  Boinged it around somemore for awhile and then got all the bolts out.  Rinsed again and more JB80.  Looked very good inside then.  I really recommend the electro method.  So easy and costs next to nothing.

-buddha

Offline knowles

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • World Supersport Racer
« Reply #371 on: March 24, 2012, 10:31:40 PM »
Holly shaZam! that turned out nice. Is there a wiki on this if not you should make one.

:icon_mrgreen: :D :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
1989 GS 500EK

Offline Funderb

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #372 on: March 25, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »
haha, whatever you had sitting around. My kinda guy.

And yes, a step by step on wiki would be awesome.

Offline Tombstones81

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #373 on: March 26, 2012, 01:05:12 AM »
^^ totally agree!
need some details!!

came out Great!
94 GS500
01 Engine
Personally repainted!  (Traded)

87 Honda VF700C Magna
(Super Magna)

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #374 on: March 26, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »
Wiki?  If only I'd taken more pictures maybe.  Steps were simpler than simple though:

Get tank. 
Get battery charger (if you have a 'smart' charger, use a battery too). 
Get 'electrode.' (Piece of steel that you can attach to wood block, across top of tank opening.)
Get 'Washing Soda" by Arm & Hammer. 
Get bucket. 
Mix about a cup of Soda with enough water to fill tank. 
Dump in. 
Use a good ventilated spot where tank and charger can sit for a few days. 
Secure wood block across the tank opening, with attached 'electrode' suspended in solution (NOT touching side of tank!).
Connect negative lead to tank. 
Connect positive lead to electrode.  (will start to fizz)
Come back next day.
Disconnect +/- and observe alien like rust formations on electrode.
Scrape off and reinsert into solution.  Top off if water level has gone down and reconnect leads (make sure electrode is not touching tank!)
Come back next day.
Disconnect +/- and observe more strange rust formations on electrode.
(repeat til happy)
Next I drained tank, poured a bag of 10mm nuts in, a little gas, and attached bungie cords on both ends, suspended between porch beam and the fence.  While doing other work, I would go by and twist it up, bounce it around for awhile.  Then used magnetic pick up to fish out nuts and rinsed.  Sprayed in JB80 and bounced it around somemore.  More JB80 and then I let it sit in the Texas sun all afternoon.

I was really happy with this.  Extremely easy.  Even Buddha could do it. :icon_razz:

-buddha

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #375 on: March 26, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »
Yesterday worked on supertank set up.  Trying a few ideas for a base that would sit on the frame and the tank would rest on.  Have to come up with something, otherwise it looks ridiculous 'floating' over the frame.
-buddha

Offline ben2go

• Motorcycle God!
  • DOA
« Reply #376 on: March 27, 2012, 02:22:31 AM »
Yesterday worked on supertank set up.  Trying a few ideas for a base that would sit on the frame and the tank would rest on.  Have to come up with something, otherwise it looks ridiculous 'floating' over the frame.

Any pics?

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
Re: 1996 GS500 Basket Case Build into a 'what the',..
« Reply #377 on: March 27, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
Pics of failures, sure.  Tried some foam, was going to shape into what I needed then fiberglass over it, fail.  Styrofoam, tried yesterday,....fail again.  With Tomb rage :mad: approaching, I concentrated on making the bracket to hold the supertank since that was pretty straightforward.  Made a bushing and got the front set up and started on the backside and called it a day.
Thinking I will finish up the brackets then try another idea this evening.
-buddha

Offline steezin_and_wheezin

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • World Superbike Racer
  • ehhh mang. yoohoo mang!
    • Freebord
« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
damn, that tank came out great!! great work, and thanks for the quick write up. i will have to give it a shot on the crappy tanks i've accumulated.

failure or not, you know that photos make all the twinners happy!!
if yer binders ain't squeakin, you ain't tweakin!

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #379 on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:27 AM »
Especially when you take them with that amazing camera Steez!

Tonight worked on tank bracket.  Came out really stout, I was surprised.  Messed around with primed out fender.  Need to figure out how to mount it.  One side I can use a bolt location but the other side I'm going to have to figure something out.

Threw seat and tail on to see how it fit against the tank.  Seems A Ok. 

Need to get some supplies tomorrow so I can move ahead and start pulling all of it together.  For some reason I feel like I'm going to be finishing this sooner than later.
-buddha