Author Topic: Carburetors and their various parts,internal and external with pics.STICKY PLZ  (Read 60445 times)

Offline frank345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Hi Ben,

Many thanks for the reply!

Frank

Offline ben2go

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • DOA
Hi Ben,

Many thanks for the reply!

Frank

:thumb:
PICS are GONE never TO return.

Offline HPP8140

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
I'm confused. I saw pics of 02 GS500 carbs and confirmed on the parts diagram that my bike is missing the hose running between the carbs. What is this?

Offline ben2go

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • DOA
If I'm not mistaken,it helps balance the vacuum between the carbs.I have seen them plugged off.I don't deal with the new style carbs.
PICS are GONE never TO return.

Offline Ajun267

• Local Club Racer
Nice guide. I was able to use it for the fuel and vent inlet on the carb (had them mixed up, will it do any damages?).

I couldn't find this part though; any ideas on how it goes on the carburetor?

Offline afatrat

• Local Club Racer
 :bowdown: Thanks for this excellent post. I have referenced this thread several times over the past few years.

Please be aware of the seal.I can not find these any where and I have a set of carbs with bad seals.

I think I finally found the original part no. for this o-ring. I realize any fuel proof rubber o-ring that fits is probably fine, but I'll leave this here for any other slightly OCD individuals.

13278-47090

It's not on any parts diagram of the gs but it is mentioned on this page: http://www.litetek.co/Carb_Kit_Suzuki_GS500.html

Offline crawlingforward

• Local Club Racer
Nice guide. I was able to use it for the fuel and vent inlet on the carb (had them mixed up, will it do any damages?).

I couldn't find this part though; any ideas on how it goes on the carburetor?

Got a chance to take a video of those lift valves and how they work.  Should give you an idea how to put them back together! (The white and silver portions and just spring locators, essentially.)

Offline Ajun267

• Local Club Racer
Sweet, thanks! Luckily I guessed and put them back the way they were originally.

Offline jdoorn14

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • World Supersport Racer
  • 2007 GS500F Black/Grey
Adding some pictures I took while cleaning and rebuilding the carbs from my 2007 GS500F. These carbs will be exactly the same as 2008-2009 and basically the same as 2004-2006, though without the PAIR (2nd Air) system, unless the 2004-2006 is a California model.

Vacuum port for balancing carbs on left intake: (I replaced this due to the cracking you can see in the pic)

After removing the upper carb cover from the left carb. Intake is to the bottom of the pic: (Note: no o-ring here as in earlier carb models)

Interior of upper left carb after removing diaphragm and needle assembly: (Note: the slide guide appears to be a separate piece, but does not appear to be removeable to me, nor was there a reason to remove it.)

Detail of pieces that make up the needle: (Beware when pulling the needle assembly from the diaphragm/slide--this spring is not necessarily snug and may fly away)
Holder, o-ring, spring:

Needle, with e-clip, washer and plastic ring:
It seems it has become necessary to qualify my posts:
I am/am not trying to start an argument. This post is/is not intended to be a personal attack. I am/am not merely attempting to present a different viewpoint.

Select the words that apply to you.

Offline Boba

• Local Club Racer
I hope it is okay to respond to this sticky even though it has no comments for a long time.

May I please use the photos found here to create a powerpoint guide?

I have a fully broken down set of 04-13 carbs that I took a ton of pictures of, measured all the screws for acquiring replacement stainless allen screws, and would like to create a side-by-side guide with the carburetors from 89-00

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 01-03 are built the same as the 04+ carbs save some aesthetic differences on the outside and no throttle position sensor (also some vacuum hose differences as a result?)

Anyway, once done I'd like to post it up for sharing or find Bikecliff from the GSR forum to host the PPT on his website.

I need permission to use these photos though if it's okay.

Boba

Offline mihkels

• Local Club Racer
Hi,
I've got a capped off tube on the left carb of my 1995 GS500. I haven't seen it on any other pictures. Does anyone know what it's for?

Offline J_Walker

• World Superbike Racer
  • EST 01/22/1994
Hi,
I've got a capped off tube on the left carb of my 1995 GS500. I haven't seen it on any other pictures. Does anyone know what it's for?

its for vacuum
-Walker

Offline 89gS500_Kirk

• AMA Supersport Racer
Is there a trick to getting a hose on the TOP VENT of the carbs? I have been trying like hell to get the hose back on and since the vest is rubber I am not able to secure it fully. I am very new so please be kind if this is a dumb question lol.

Offline TGTwin

• Local Club Racer

Got a chance to take a video of those lift valves and how they work.  Should give you an idea how to put them back together! (The white and silver portions and just spring locators, essentially.)

THANK YOU THANK YOU
I've been wondering what the spaghetti mess of supposedly vacuum lines were on the top of my carb, but I couldn't get a straight answer what they did (short of "emissions something something") and whether they could just be capped off.
Posts like these are gold.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
OK Photobucket... you SUCK !!!!  :technical: :technical: :technical: :technical: :technical:

Are all these photo links broken for everyone else too? :sad:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight & cowl, GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
Yeah, a lot of the photo links in this thread are now broken. Hopefully at least some of the original posters are still around and can re-upload the photos to imgur or something.

Offline marc

• Formula Extreme Racer
Let me add some from my last rebuild:

Carb Boots for a '90 GS500

Carb dirt in bowls:

Carb cleaned and exploded:

Rings replaced (and some screws)

This is the reference to the top ring. If I'm not wrong size is 4mm diameter and thickness is 1mm

This is the reference for the mixture screw ring. If I'm not wrong, size is 3mm diameter 1mm thickness.

This is the float assembly ring. Take care:
- My seat had an imperfection that caused to dent this ring when installing it.
- Thickness is 1,35mm. Use a 1,5mm if not available.

This is the float valve seat seal. It is a 1.5mm thickness.

This is the special pattern bowl seal (GS500 '90 carbs)

This is the rubber seal at the bottom of the slingshot valve guide. This is not available from suzuki.
1.5mm thick.

Some aftermarket float valve needle assemblies:
- Left is Keyster (guess K&L)
- Right is Original.
Keyster needle has ha very strong spring that caused me starvation.
Keyster seat is not a flange, it is an edge. Seals well, but causes wear to needle.
Parts are not mixable (do not use keyster needle in original seat). Fuel height mismatch will occur.

Some aftermarket float needles:
- Left is original
- Right is Tourmax.
Parts match very well (better than K&L) but the spring in the Tourmax is still very strong.