Author Topic: Geelong newb  (Read 270 times)

Offline construct09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Geelong newb
« on: April 14, 2017, 04:14:27 AM »
Hello

Just picked up a 2012 GS500 a couple of days ago, lost my licence in the early 80s and it's been great doing the SU course and getting back on a bike, went down the Great Ocean road to Apollo bay today (good Friday), sure missed that ride....
 :thumb:

Offline prmas

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Geelong newb
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 05:21:52 AM »
Welcome from a Melbourne rider.
I sometimes get down your way for the GOR run.
I bet it was crowded with tourists today!
Mine is a pristine K9.

Macka

Offline construct09

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »
Hi prmas Traffic was banked up for several Ks on the way into Lorne, never seen anything like it, glad I left pretty early

Offline construct09

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 02:09:40 AM »
Sad to report that on Monday I headed off for a ride and the bike started bogging down under acceleration, it was also blowing a lot of white smoke, I,m not sure what the problem is but it's looking like valves or piston rings according to threads I have read here

I purchased this bike on the 12th of this month for $3500 from a bike shop in Brighton, Melbourne
It's a 2012 model showing 9265 ks....hard to believe its having issues already

My question is are there any Vic members here who could point me in the direction of a recommended mechanic in the Geelong or Melbourne area?

Offline prmas

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 05:15:00 AM »
Sad to report that on Monday I headed off for a ride and the bike started bogging down under acceleration, it was also blowing a lot of white smoke, I,m not sure what the problem is but it's looking like valves or piston rings according to threads I have read here

I purchased this bike on the 12th of this month for $3500 from a bike shop in Brighton, Melbourne
It's a 2012 model showing 9265 ks....hard to believe its having issues already

My question is are there any Vic members here who could point me in the direction of a recommended mechanic in the Geelong or Melbourne area?
I am a mechanic with nearly 5 decades of experience and a GS500 owner.
I bought mine from the same Dealer. They are not good but if you have a warranty you should take it back there.
If you can get it up here to Melbourne I will gladly look at it for you for free.
First thing though, take the air cleaner out and try it again.
I had a similar experience caused by a restricted air filter.
A new air filter solved it.

Macka

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:16:55 AM by prmas »

Offline construct09

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 05:30:40 AM »
Thanks very much for your offer Macka!

No, there was no warranty with the bike, I thought it would be a good buy with such low Ks...not the case..., tonight I tried fresh fuel, the bike idled for awhile still blowing smoke then it cut out.
I,ll have another go tomorrow with the filter removed as you suggest.

I,ll be in touch if that fails! ;)

Offline MichaelM3

• AMA Supersport Racer
  • Commuter and Tourer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 07:51:31 PM »
Hey @construct09, welcome to the fold from a NSW rider.

A mate bought an older model Yamaha TDM (tedium?) 900 and experienced similar problems on the first long ride. Initially he thought the problem was related to liquid coolant getting into the combustion chambers - obviously not possible on the GS500. The previous owner eventually admitted that he'd dosed the tank with a Subaru combustion chamber cleaning product. Probably overdosed it.  The stuff is denser than fuel and it seems to have sat in the lower levels of the fuel tank. When the level got low enough on the long ride the engine started sucking the stuff in - bogging down and blowing white smoke.

White smoke from an air cooled engine is a bit of a mystery - maybe other more experienced folk here can offer a white smoke explanation?

I hope it works out painlessly for you.

Offline construct09

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 04:08:50 AM »
Thanks Michael M3!

Well, thanks to Macka I got the bike running again!

Pulled the air filter as he suggested and was able to take it for a little ride to charge the battery (staying VERY close to home)

White smoke? hmm, well it looked white to me at the time!! :embarassed:, was still blowing a bit when I got it started this afternoon but cleared up

There is a little fuel getting into the right hand side of the airbox so perhaps that carbs overflowing....or something ?!:embarassed:

Thanks Macka!! :bowdown: will msg you.

Offline prmas

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 04:44:59 AM »
Thanks Michael M3!

Well, thanks to Macka I got the bike running again!

Pulled the air filter as he suggested and was able to take it for a little ride to charge the battery (staying VERY close to home)

White smoke? hmm, well it looked white to me at the time!! :embarassed:, was still blowing a bit when I got it started this afternoon but cleared up

There is a little fuel getting into the right hand side of the airbox so perhaps that carbs overflowing....or something ?!:embarassed:

Thanks Macka!! :bowdown: will msg you.

I am glad that I could help.
Experience does count.
Don't worry too much about the moisture in the airbox.
That can also be caused buy the restricted filter.
A little bit of misting is normal anyway. Just wipe it clean and it should be OK.
I keep service parts for the GS and some others in stock.
I have oil filters for the GS but unfortunately I don't have a new air filter in stock at the moment.
BTW, I just reinsured my GS today and switched from Swann to QBE.
I got a MUCH better deal from QBE despite having both bikes with Swann for several years.

Let's meet for coffee sometime?

Macka
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:50:28 AM by prmas »

Offline construct09

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 05:12:10 AM »
 :thumb:msgd you Macka

Offline prmas

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 06:35:46 AM »
Hi construct09.
It was great to meet you today and have an enjoyable ride through Glendale, the You Yangs and finally to Little River for lunch.
Take care until we meet again.

Macka