Main Area > Projects / Builds, Racing and Tech

Turning GS500f Into a great tourer!

<< < (2/4) > >>

SAFE-T:
Good undergarments can really take the burn out of your backside  :cheers:

Shaddow:
I've never found the my arse hurts after hours on this bike. I just don't get it. I must just have the right shape arse for the bike seat.

J_Walker:

--- Quote from: Shaddow on November 03, 2011, 12:39:37 AM ---I've never found the my arse hurts after hours on this bike. I just don't get it. I must just have the right shape arse for the bike seat.

--- End quote ---

Hah Well considering my bike vibrates WAY more than I think it should, could also be a problem. Cause I can sit on my bum all day in a plastic chair and be fine, my bum doesn't hurt. Sit on the bike for 15 mins, and I feel the soreness!

J_Walker:
Here's the youtube video, Its kinda long. You only might need up till 4 mins for what you need to hear/look at.

25knots:
Responding to severe NAS (numb ass syndrome).

I definitely had this problem with the seat on my 96 500e.  After a few hours, I found myself standing on the pegs any time I didn't have to lean the bike.  The solution for me, and its worked quite well, was an Air Hawk air cushion seat. 

http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-products.aspx

The "small cruiser" model is the one that fits the GS seat best.

Basically its a specially constructed air bag that straps onto your current seat.  Lest you think this is simply a flat air balloon, the seat has specially designed chambers that allow a more equal distribution of pressure over your entire "undercarriage." It also has a valve that allows you to customize the volume of air in the seat, something you'll want to do to fine tune the cushion for your needs. 

This seat is not a gimmick--it definitely works.  I went from taking breaks every 30 minutes to touring all day long just stopping for gas. 

It does have down sides and Ill list them:
1) I don't like the straps that attach the pad to seat.  They work, but are a bit flimsy.
2) You don't feel as locked into the bike as you would just sitting on the bare seat.  Floating on a cushion of air means that your body moves around a bit more during quick maneuvers.  That said, I road some serious twisties (Deals Gap, Blueridge, Squirrel Spur, Cherahola) using the Airhawk and did just fine.
3) The material is a bit slippery and you might find yourself sliding a bit more when wearing textile motorcycle pants.

None of these drawbacks keeps me from recommending the seat.  It solves a big problem with the GS (you're not the only person to dislike the seat) and makes it a much more functional tourer.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version