Main Area > Projects / Builds, Racing and Tech

New to forum, but not the GS

(1/8) > >>

guilfordin:
Not sure if this is going to work, hope this link opens this picture.  I have more of this machine I have been working on for the last year, and it is ready to rumble, big time.  If anyone wants to know more about my bike, please let me know and I'll post some data.

Gary 

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/guilfordin/th_100_0700.jpg?t=1321931179

guilfordin:
I've got some high resolution pictures of my LSR bike, if anyone is interested in seeing them.  To the best of my knowledge, it is the most powerfull 500CC engine on planet earth, including the Yamaha YZR 500 cc, two stroke, V-4 rotary valved road racer.  That machine and all of its records that it holds at Bonneville, are headed for the archives, next August.  My GS 500 powered bike, is 304 pounds, a combination of high and old technology, that works.  Been playing with these small twins all my life, decided it was time to put the machine in the spotlight.
Originally built for drag racing, hence the aluminum frame, I decided to go for the IFM land speed record instead.  Donor engine is 1999, GS500.
Bottom end is all stock, including the factory ballance shaft, bearings etc.  No re-balance, stock rods etc.  Clutch is Barnett, Kevlar, transmission gears are all undercut.  Zipper, 7075-T6 outboard support bearing plate, gearing is 17-30, modified TL1000 rear wheel.  Cylinder, stock liner, with 1 mm overbore to 75, 499.6 cc.  Pistons are Ross blower design, with 9 mm deck thickness, compression ratio is 10:1.  Block deck is "O" ringed, and I run the stock .009 thick steel shim head gasket.  Turbo is Mitsubishy TO-5, from the 3000 GT twin turbo car, no modifications.  Fuel injection throttle bodies are from a Polaris 2 stroke snowmobile, 48 mm bore.  Primary injectors are RC Engineering 1200 cc per minute, and I made the modifications to install two additional secondary injectors which are triggered at pressure above 20 PSI.  Fuel is methanol,  no need for after coolers.  Performance Electronics (  http://www.pe-ltd.com/joomla/  ) builds the best ECM I have ever seen and has worked with me on this bike through many many hours on the Dynojet Super Flo machine.  The "EDGE" handles the fuel injection, timing, digital boost controller, etc., and has a two map capability, as well as full data logging.  I recommend it to anyone considering an upgrade to FI. 
Just what the limits are for this motor, have not yet been determined, but at the last test session, we had 140 HP at 20% throttle position. A quick shot to 40% shot up to 200+, but the boost was violent, we did not yet have the digital boost controller programmed so we terminated
the testing that evening.  Next week, we have the machine rented, and we are going to get the boost to rise in a linear path relating to the throttle position.  We've seen 30 PSI, but were unable to retrieve the data from the dyno, due to an issue with the dyno.  My target RPM is 11000 maximum, at 28 PSI, which should yield around 220 to 240 corrected SAE rear wheel BHP.   These numbers are all 10%lower than those from the standard inertial style dyno's that all the magazines use.  So you can add that 10% to our numbers to get a comparison.   The Super Flo is an eddy current style, and we can hold loads at any RPM.  What really impressed me on that 20% run, was that at 5000 RPM, the bike was making 80 RWHP, thats a lot of torque to get that number.
My email address is:  gcollins4@comcast.net if anyone wants to see some close up pictures or a copy of that last dyno run.  Next week, I'll be pushing the limits, to see what breaks and at what RPM.  I need to know this, so that when the bike heads for the salt, there willl be no surprises.  On paper, at 35 PSI, and 11,000 RPM I expect to see around 280 RWHP, but will probably be cleaning up the oil mess in the process. We've got video's of all the testing thus far, the next one will be you tube material. 

kidsixteen:
That stock bottom end will disintegrate at 1/3 of the power you're expecting to make. The crank can't even handle a handful of extra horses from too big a bore increase, let alone quadrupling it's intended load.

That's not to say that what you're trying to do is impossible, it'd just recommend sinking a bunch of $ into a crank and set of rods if you expect to even double the stock hp w/o ending up with a hole in the block.

Also, 500cc two-stroke motogp v4s made 200+ naturally aspirated CRANK hp (and that's crocked for the rulebooks).

That's a cool build you've got going there, and I sincerely wish you luck with it... but why'd you have to f%$k it up with such a douchey post about it? Post the pics, post the vids, we all go "hey, cool!" and that's about it.

Things like " If anyone wants to know more about my bike, please let me know and I'll post some data." and "To the best of my knowledge, it is the most powerfull 500CC engine on planet earth, including the Yamaha YZR 500 cc, two stroke, V-4 rotary valved road racer." just make you look like a duck.

alyoopz:
Hasta la vista, Senor Crank  :  )

SAFE-T:
I for one would LOVE to see a youtube video of a GS500 based bike that pulled the type of HP you are talking about on a dyno without disintegrating

:cheers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version