Main Area > Projects / Builds, Racing and Tech

My 1993 GS500 Race bike

(1/4) > >>

burning1:
Hey guys,

I got a request in one of my videos to post up some information on the bike it's self. I figured I would do it here, partially because it was easy, and partially because it helps give the GSTwins forum a little more exposure. :)

Unfortunately, the bike as it was in the videos no longer exists - after siezing the engine, I tore the bike down to the frame, and am currently in the process of rebuilding it as a 450. By the time I'm done, the bike will still technically be a GS500, but there won't be a lot of unmodified original parts left. I'm expecting to be able to to legitimately claim I have a yamakowazuki. ;)

The bike I'm riding in the videos has a heavily modified suspension, and has been lightened significantly for the track, but is otherwise stock. Power plant is completely stock, from airbox to exhaust tip. It even has an OEM air-filter and jetting.

Here are the last standing still pictures I have:

Front end is stock from an 06 GSX-R 600. The stock springs were just about perfect for my weight. It has a Michelin Power One V tire, and EBC Extreme Pro pads, but is otherwise stock.

Rear swingarm and wheel are currently stock. I have a Yamaha R6 shock with stock yamaha spring installed, and a Bridgestone BT003RS 140/70/17 (yes, different tire brands, front and back.)

Engine, frame, filter, fueling, and exhaust are all completely stock. Headlight, insturment cluster, etc... Have been removed. Ignition system is stock, and the bike has been converted to keyless. I also removed the stands, and un-necessary trim bits.

When I raced the bike, it had the stock forks, with cartrage emulators, springs, fluid, and a brace. Front tire was a BT003RS.

I have a dyno chart from the bike that I'll post up at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNlTtDLHIyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAxWM_lZOVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gymLfLw654Q

Big Rich:
I gotta get back to this thread when I'm not on my phone. Looks good on the small screen though!

slipperymongoose:
Just spitballing here how hard was your front fork conversion?

burning1:
Bob Broussard did the work for me. The GS stem was pressed into the GSX-R tripple, and a spacer was machined to fit the upper to the stem. It bolts right on.

Cost for the forks, triple, and wheel was ~$600. Machine work would probably be another $100-$200.

Because it's a full race bike the conversion was really simple - if you're building a GS500 race bike, and you aren't limited by production rules, I would *strongly* advise going the full swap route over modifying the stock internals.

For street use, you're better off modifying the stock forks. With the right upgrades, the stock front end can perform extremely well - there's no need for dual disks or anything. And going that route allows you to retain the stock insturment cluster, handlebars, and headlight.

Going this route will cost ~$400-$500 for the emulators, springs, oil, brake lines, caliper, pads, and fork brace. As you can see from my track photo (yellow plate, #857,) you can get pretty low with that route. It doesn't work nearly as well as the GSX-R forks when cold, though.

slipperymongoose:
I would just purely do this for upside down forks. I don't have any problems with the current forks at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version