Main Area > Projects / Builds, Racing and Tech

My 2000 GS500 Fighter

<< < (5/8) > >>

Shanehsmp:
Well,

After months of partying and travelling...football season is back and I now have some time to relax and work on the bike...so this is where we are...

I found a local fabricator and asked him to fab up a new subframe for the solo seat/bobber look...well...it didn't come out as planned...(sorry for the crappy pics)

Frame As delivered to welder...wanted the seat to fit like this...

Well here it is as he saw fit....

As you see the angle is way off from what I wanted, he didn't factor in any support for the under the seat (it would be supported by the lock mechanism)....I was livid...told him to cut it off and reweld it the way I asked him to...back and forth argument...I said screw it and decided to take it home and go with my original plan.....

Hyosung tail, shortened width wise...about an 1.5" or so....

Now my problem is....I need to make up something to support the tail and I need suggestions...should I weld up supports or should I just screw in a series of heavy gauge sheet metal bent/riveted together to form a support cradle under the passenger seat on the tail (bike will be solo seat)

Phil B:
Wheell.... if he's a professional welder... maybe he knows something you dont. Like maybe, what you were asking for, would not support your weight for long?

Maybe you should be grateful for his hardheadedness. Odds are, if you found out the hard way, it might be too late for you to go back and thank him for his expert opinion :-}

Shanehsmp:

--- Quote from: Phil B on September 09, 2012, 10:59:17 PM ---Wheell.... if he's a professional welder... maybe he knows something you dont. Like maybe, what you were asking for, would not support your weight for long?

Maybe you should be grateful for his hardheadedness. Odds are, if you found out the hard way, it might be too late for you to go back and thank him for his expert opinion :-}

--- End quote ---

Always has to be that one person. :icon_rolleyes:...

no, he did not do his job...I asked for something and he didn't do it...if he couldn't do what I asked for then he should of informed me...there really isn't anything to it....I'm paying for a service, give me what I pay for or don't do it

cbrfxr67:
Fookin do what I say!  I think it's STEEL and basic geometry could get you what you wanted and you could stand on it, jump up and down, whatever on it.

Not sure what you have to work with but I made my locating points to mount the tail first.  Afterwards I welded (you could bolt on) a crossbar and located where the seat would ride best and mounted it.  Admittedly it took me quite awhile, on off, on off, on off, trying to figure out the best place for it.

If you're going to use that tail, you have quite a bit off arse hanging past your support.  I'd prob look for some 3/16" to 1/8" flat bar to where I could get the support in and bolt it on to what genius welder did.  I'm guessing there are supports points that I can't see in the pic.  If you bend, shape, bolt on and meet your mounting points at the angle you want, I don't think you'll have any issues with tail support since it is a solo.

Was looking at pics again, and blacked out, you could still do what you want.  You could make a cowl to help cover the subframe and hide it.  Bolt on your seat support to what's there and be in action.  The cowl (plastic, thin metal) could hide some wiring and also give you good place to mount led tail light under seat (?).  Thanks for the opp to use my mad paint skillz!  heheh  Just imagine the red as black.  Did red so you could see it.

Shanehsmp:

--- Quote from: cbrfxr67 on September 10, 2012, 10:40:57 AM ---

--- End quote ---

I had the same exact thought, but I felt that It would be the same amount of hastle to fab up plastic to cover he metal used to raise the seat up...I'm just going to go with the tail, might as well (for now).

Anyhow....

Haven't done much....picked up a used rear tire so I could get the bike together and have it rolling...
With no tail....disregard the high headlight....just seeing how to mount the steering damper without it interfering with headlight

With tail

tail, belly pan and hugger ...which is for sale as it will not compliment the look of the bike

Still need to figure out the tail mounting and how I will fill that passenger seat hole....I will thinking heatforming lexan and bonding it to the ABS tail...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version