Author Topic: Side Mirrors: Laws and Suggestions  (Read 1864 times)

Offline bkaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Side Mirrors: Laws and Suggestions
« on: December 03, 2003, 11:50:48 PM »
We've had a bunch of posts lately about license plate placement and I was just wondering what the laws were regarding mirrors.  I just got some new drag bars and the stock mirrors just look goofy on them.  So, I was wondering what the deal is.  Do I need two mirrors? Or will one bar end be "legal."  Plus, there is a bike posted on the wall of fame page nine not a gs500 with bar end mirrors in the normal location.  I was wondering if anyone else had tried that, or had suggestions for some "sportier" options for regularly placed mirrors.  Something low profle but still good for the road.

Thanks,
Brent

Offline Rollin668

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 11:55:43 PM »
I think Pantablo tried to fit bar-ends in that location without luck.  That bike is my Laverda and I ended up mounting Napoleans bar-ends in a pivot point on the handles.  There appears to be no such place on the GS.  It also depends on where you live - I know in California you only need to have ONE mirror.

Rolly

Offline pantablo

• Post Whore Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Motorcycle God!
    • http://pantablo500.tripod.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 12:03:04 AM »
dont know the laws on CA but I only have one mirror anyway.

I looked at mounting those napoleons like on the laverda (WoF page 9) but the master cylinder will get in the way on the right.

Offline Blueknyt

• Wants a nicer title
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 03:10:37 AM »
it doesnt matter how many you have, you are required to have one in all states within the U.S.   most cops unless they are pricks wont mess withyou on that.
Accelerate like your being chased, Corner like you mean it, Brake as if you life depends on it.
Ride Hard...or go home.

Its you Vs the pavement.....who wins today?

Offline scratch

• Sofa King We Todd Did
  • Motorcycle God!
  • Yes, that's a reflection on the road
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 03:49:40 PM »
And usually, the one that is required is on the left.
The motorcycle is no longer the hobby, the skill has become the hobby.

Power does not compare to skill.  What good is power without the skill to use it?

Originally posted by Wintermute on BayAreaRidersForum.com
good judgement trumps good skills every time.

Offline mwdbruno

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 11:38:24 PM »
"California Vehicle Code 26709.  (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of
such vehicle.  Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors,
including one affixed to the left-hand side."

Sounds a bit confusing (as the Vehicle code does usually), but it interprets you must have 1 miror on a motorcycle.

Offline Cal Price

• Is it tea-time yet?
  • Global Moderator
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 08:57:30 AM »
Arn't traffic laws wonderful things, in France you must have two mirrors on a M/C in UK none is legal, a mate of mine took his off when going for his driving test as that were failing lots of people at that time for not looking over the shoulder enough, "the lifesaver" as they call it.
UK law is odd like that you don't need lights or signals either but if fitted they must work.
Black Beemer  - F800ST.
In Cricket the testicular guard, or Box, was introduced in 1874. The helmet was introduced in 1974. Is there a message??