Main Area > Projects / Builds, Racing and Tech

2000 GS500e teardown and rebuild

<< < (3/4) > >>

TheGaginator:
Awesome to see that muffler on another bike! they are pretty rare and they sound amazing.

I used VHT BLACK header paint and VHT Clear coat. Without the clear coat it looked very dull. Even now a week later it still looks wet and shiney :icon_mrgreen:

When i got the muffler it was fading pretty nasty and the red stickers were almost gone.

Paint instructions to look the best: Sand with 120 grit sand paper EVERYWHERE, use alcohol on a paper towel and wipe it all down(wear nitrile or latex gloves the whole time to prevent skin oils from ruining your work!) you can use VHT primer if you want. i did not. Then apply your first LIGHT coat. wait 10 minutes then next LIGHT coat, wait 10 minutes then one Medium coat followed by another 10 minutes of waiting and a final 4th coat. wait 30 minutes before doing the same with clear coat! wait 4 hours then run on the bike in 2 20 minute intervals letting the bike cool down between.

i painted my muffler and headers. if you want it to look PERFECT do it like i wrote. otherwise itll look like everyone elses! haha

you bike looks awesome by the way. i love the red accents. get rid of that rear fender and it would look even better! :cheers:

--- Quote from: Tombstones81 on March 22, 2012, 09:50:50 PM ---what did you all use on painting the slip-on?

I painted the end near the exhaust pipe because of rust but it came out as plain as urs looks in the pic of it still being wet.
pretty sure i used VHT header paint.

but then the finishes pic, urs is nice and shiny.

put a high temp clear on it too?

(edit)
as u can see the end of mine near the pipe, its rather dull.
I was actually thinking of getting brand new red F1s stickers made and just paint the whole thing black to match the bike.

--- End quote ---

Tombstones81:
thank you  :thumb:

yeah ur the first active person i've seen on here with this slip-on since I joined last year.

and thanks, i know painting routine  :thumb:
I think the only things on my bike I didnt paint by hand with rattle cans over the winter are the forks and handlebars. hahahaha

(edit)
and u can only notice the rear fender from the side there.
from the back, i cut it even with the plate.

TheGaginator:
haha well sweet! i guess you know all about painting then if you did all that with spray paint. how many times did you wet sand that tank??!! it looks slick! O0

Tombstones81:
wet sand to get the old paint off or the layers of new color?

old paint I dont recall sanding to get thru the paint at all.
aircraft stripper and a small putty knife scraped it Right off like it was putty.
I did sand the bare metal when I got down to it tho.
but too much work to recall every step in detail

the new color.
hmm gotta think about it for a minute (been too much work on the bike and engine)
dont recall any with the new color.
I simply laid another layer on it minutes after the prior light coat dried enough.

same with the clear as u said above.
i left it sit for like 10 minutes while i went around to other parts.

TheGaginator:
well sweet man it looks awesome. have you taken of the rear fender yet??!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version