Author Topic: Gun Owners?  (Read 113218 times)

Offline Unsane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Gun Owners?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
Oh yeah? Well I have an M41-A Pulse Rifle

Its threads like this that make me glad I live in Australia.

Back on topic though - anyone been shot?

2001 Trek 6kw Electric Mountain Bike
2003 Sachs Madass
2004 Suzuki GS500F
2011 Kawasaki ZX10R
2000 Suzuki TL1000R

Offline applecrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
I've been at gunpoint twice and have lived to tell the tale. I REALLY don't ever want a repeat experience. First time cost my employer some dough and me a change of shorts, second time cost not only cost me a change of shorts but also my car. It's amazing what you will do when a gun barrel is pressed against your skull.
BTW, had I had a gun, I'm pretty sure it would not have changed either outcome and would probably have been taken from me.

That's as close to being shot as I would care to get. Not a big fan of guns, BTW, but won't dis any responsible person who is.

:cheers:

Offline dougdoberman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
    • Grichels
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »

BTW, had I had a gun, I'm pretty sure it would not have changed either outcome and would probably have been taken from me.

Yeah, having a gun on your person is not a cure-all for every situation. 

On the other hand, it certainly is for many. 

Knowing which situation you're in is a part of responsible gun ownership.  :)

If you can't be a good example, at least try to be a horrible reminder.

Offline Juan1

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »
I don't get the gun thing.  As a kid growing up away from the city I liked hunting and shooting.  Then I moved near a beach and realized guns aren't much fun, at least to me, relative to surfing, volleyball, or having some drinks.  I'm not anti-gun, I just don't get the appeal relative to other outdoor activities.
1982 Kawi GPZ-750, 1998 GS500.

Offline john

• I iz a Rap King!
  • Administrator
  • Motorcycle God!
  • I have the BIGGEST Ban Hammer!
    • http://www.gstwin.com
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »
I will not confirm or deny anything, but suffice to say I am probably the most well armed and stocked member here.

I have food for 6 months
I have water to last the same
I have enough to kill any zombie horde....
There is more to this site than a message board.  Check out http://www.gstwin.com

Fear the banana hammer!

Offline shonole

• Poo poo head
  • World Supersport Racer
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »
I will not confirm or deny anything, but suffice to say I am probably the most well armed and stocked member here.

I have food for 6 months
I have water to last the same
I have enough to kill any zombie horde....

Hate to break it to you, but you will never have enough.   :thumb:
2004 SV650n - Blue

Offline Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »
Ha! There's always one more.........

I can't remember what all I have. My wife bought me a Beretta Neos as a wedding present, a KelTec P11, couple deer rifles, a couple shotguns, my Dad's first "plinker" = Marlin model 60 (?), and a Savage over/under in 17hmr on top with a 20 gauge underneath. I'm sure there's a couple I'm forgetting.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline dougdoberman

• Formula Extreme Racer
    • Grichels
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 09:18:04 PM »
I don't get the gun thing.  As a kid growing up away from the city I liked hunting and shooting.  Then I moved near a beach and realized guns aren't much fun, at least to me, relative to surfing, volleyball, or having some drinks.  I'm not anti-gun, I just don't get the appeal relative to other outdoor activities.

I don't know about the others, but for me it makes up for my small pee pee.
If you can't be a good example, at least try to be a horrible reminder.

Offline k.rollin

• Formula Extreme Racer
  • Mortuorum Venator
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »
I am heavy into guns. Been doing gun projects for the last few years and I just got my Type 3 FFL (C&R) a few weeks ago so I could get dealer discounts, and I interviewed for a machinist position with Silencerco/SWR in March (and got to shoot suppressed and full auto firearms for the first time).

I carry a full size Smith & Wesson M&P 40. I've done a bit of trigger work to it, and it now has the smoothest trigger of any polymer framed pistol I've ever handled, breaking at 4.5 lbs. The reset could be firmer and maybe a little shorter, but I'm not complaining. I also have an extended and threaded 9mm conversion barrel for it from Storm Lake.

I just refinished my Henry H001-T and will be cutting the stock to fit a crescent buttplate to it in a few weeks. For my girlfriend's birthday, I restored an abused Marlin Mod. 60 and gave it to her. Also in the house are her Gen. 3 Glock 19, a friend's Gen. 2 Glock 22 that I'm working on, my .41 Magnum Ruger Redhawk, my Winchester 1200, and my 16" midlength AR-15. Previously owned were a 10" bull barreled Ruger Mk. II and a CZ75 P-01.

Offline mister

• Don't call me mister, I work for a living
  • Motorcycle God!
  • There is Always a way
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 10:55:34 PM »
The gun thing....

It's not all about exciting fun... It's about taking on s challenge and mastering it. From first hitting a target to ever higher scores etc.

hunting from afar does nothing... But being able to go into an animals domain and out stalk it to within a few dozen yards is anachievement over nature, long as you kill for food.
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

Offline Janx101

• I only use hair curlers for their intended purpose
  • Motorcycle God!
  • Singing is a new MotoVlog Hobby!
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 11:20:18 PM »
used to hunt and target shoot and had a decent collection .. but sold them all off and dont bother now .. one day i might again but just dont have enough time to put into it for now that would justify the costs.

.... one other but ... i got no drama with seeing ppls lists etc ... but on a public forum ppl? .. ok i know the online names are semi anonymous and no one usually gives out their home location freely .. but .. ANYONE can see what you got .. and think .. hmmm that might be a good way to get my hands on some bangsticks! .. just sayin .. and there was a news report other day .. some lass took a photo of her grandads $17k when they were counting it at his house .. then she posted it on facebook as bragging kinda thing ... within 24 hours 2 criminals held up/broke into her families' home and demanded the money .. she and the money were elsewhere and not trackable ..

point is .. how public is your personal info elsewhere on the 'net? ...

and dont give me the "any criminal trying to take my gear is gonna end up in the grave" line .... are you sure its gonna be them? .. willing to bet your life on it?  :icon_eek:

sure the guys i used to hunt and target shoot with all knew exactly what i had in both pistols and longarms ... i've never ever made it a public online listing though .. just be cautious eh!!

Offline mister

• Don't call me mister, I work for a living
  • Motorcycle God!
  • There is Always a way
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »
Ditto^^^...

For reals though.... I have some pointy sharp sticks. Ok, they are tooth picks....but don't tell anyone.  ;)

Michael
GS Picture Game - Lists of Completed Challenges & Current Challenge http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGame and http://tinyurl.com/GS500PictureGameList2

GS500 Round Aust Relay http://tinyurl.com/GS500RoundAustRelay

Offline Kijona

• Missing a period
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • What's the big deal with clip-ons?
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 03:13:18 AM »
used to hunt and target shoot and had a decent collection .. but sold them all off and dont bother now .. one day i might again but just dont have enough time to put into it for now that would justify the costs.

.... one other but ... i got no drama with seeing ppls lists etc ... but on a public forum ppl? .. ok i know the online names are semi anonymous and no one usually gives out their home location freely .. but .. ANYONE can see what you got .. and think .. hmmm that might be a good way to get my hands on some bangsticks! .. just sayin .. and there was a news report other day .. some lass took a photo of her grandads $17k when they were counting it at his house .. then she posted it on facebook as bragging kinda thing ... within 24 hours 2 criminals held up/broke into her families' home and demanded the money .. she and the money were elsewhere and not trackable ..

point is .. how public is your personal info elsewhere on the 'net? ...

and dont give me the "any criminal trying to take my gear is gonna end up in the grave" line .... are you sure its gonna be them? .. willing to bet your life on it?  :icon_eek:

sure the guys i used to hunt and target shoot with all knew exactly what i had in both pistols and longarms ... i've never ever made it a public online listing though .. just be cautious eh!!

Lol, well I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be looking for that kind of information on here. There are countless gun forums where people show pictures of $10k guns and list everything they've got every day.

Moreover: what would have to go through someone's mind to where they would think it would be a good idea to go try to steal someone's guns? I wouldn't think even the dumbest of criminals figure it's worth getting killed over a few cheap guns.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:20:21 AM by Kijona »

Offline ojstinson

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww283/ojstinson/
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 03:38:47 AM »
That's true, I would think that breaking into a gun fanatic's house would be pretty far down on a thief's list of things to do---of course there are some pretty dumb ass criminals out there.
I'm not a racist, some of my best friends are you people.

Offline Kijona

• Missing a period
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 03:49:03 AM »
That's true, I would think that breaking into a gun fanatic's house would be pretty far down on a thief's list of things to do---of course there are some pretty dumb ass criminals out there.

Yep, and you'd have to have quite a lot for it to be worth risking their life to steal. Also, people that are really serious about it are going to have safes and everything else so the chances of them getting anything other than a lead sandwich are pretty low.

How many gun stores do you hear of getting robbed? Not many. The only thing I've ever heard of was ONCE, about 10 years ago, a gun store in Atlanta was broken into at night and the guy got stuck inside and the cops arrested him.

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50:45 AM »
carry one in shop since shooting. have a 454 casull nearby as well as a 45 lc were never mroe than 10ft from a weapon if need be. i used to have one of these
after a sprained wrist from shooting this cannon i sold it. plus thats when i got sick so it sold at right time tbh
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline shonole

• Poo poo head
  • World Supersport Racer
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 06:19:03 AM »

Yep, and you'd have to have quite a lot for it to be worth risking their life to steal. Also, people that are really serious about it are going to have safes and everything else so the chances of them getting anything other than a lead sandwich are pretty low.

How many gun stores do you hear of getting robbed? Not many. The only thing I've ever heard of was ONCE, about 10 years ago, a gun store in Atlanta was broken into at night and the guy got stuck inside and the cops arrested him.

You'd be surprised at the number of guns that go missing each year in GA alone.  We used to get bulletins listing SNs, etc. and the majority of them were guns stolen from residences (some very large, expensive collections as well), with vehicles coming after.  In the south it's not uncommon for people to leave a handgun in their truck with the doors unlocked.   :cookoo:
2004 SV650n - Blue

Offline Kijona

• Missing a period
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »

You'd be surprised at the number of guns that go missing each year in GA alone.  We used to get bulletins listing SNs, etc. and the majority of them were guns stolen from residences (some very large, expensive collections as well), with vehicles coming after.  In the south it's not uncommon for people to leave a handgun in their truck with the doors unlocked.   :cookoo:

Hmmm...well I think the point the other guy was trying to make was that they might come and hold you at gunpoint to steal your guns. Which, in my opinion, probably isn't going to happen. They may break in while you're not at home or something. Also...these people with these expensive gun collections...did they not bother to invest in a safe or something? I mean, this isn't the Italian Job...they're not coming in with all kinds of tools and other stuff to break into your gun safe, lol.

Offline shonole

• Poo poo head
  • World Supersport Racer
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »

Hmmm...well I think the point the other guy was trying to make was that they might come and hold you at gunpoint to steal your guns. Which, in my opinion, probably isn't going to happen. They may break in while you're not at home or something. Also...these people with these expensive gun collections...did they not bother to invest in a safe or something? I mean, this isn't the Italian Job...they're not coming in with all kinds of tools and other stuff to break into your gun safe, lol.

Most of the time they'll just take the safe..  Lol.  Have you ever seen the videos of criminals stealing ATMs?  Same principle. 

I don't imagine there are many home invasions where people are targeting guns.  But I laugh at the notion that a gun is going to save your life when you're in the dead of sleep.  Are you even going to wake up?  If so, can you get to your gun?  If so, can you actually hit anything with it?  Have you ever tried firing groggy, when you where suddenly awakened by an intruder?  If guns were so effective as crime deterrents, we would have far fewer (residential) burglaries. 
2004 SV650n - Blue

Offline Kijona

• Missing a period
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 06:52:27 AM »

Most of the time they'll just take the safe..  Lol.  Have you ever seen the videos of criminals stealing ATMs?  Same principle. 

I don't imagine there are many home invasions where people are targeting guns.  But I laugh at the notion that a gun is going to save your life when you're in the dead of sleep.  Are you even going to wake up?  If so, can you get to your gun?  If so, can you actually hit anything with it?  Have you ever tried firing groggy, when you where suddenly awakened by an intruder?  If guns were so effective as crime deterrents, we would have far fewer (residential) burglaries.

Lol. I mean, I keep my 380 on me most of the time (when it's legal to do-so, obviously - I do have the carry license though). I've never tried waking up and getting to it but then again, I'd pretty wide-ass awake if somebody broke a window which is what they'd have to do to get in. Plus, we have dogs that bark like crazy if anything goes bump.

As far as stealing the whole safe...uh, what the hell? I guess there are some high-roller criminals with the means to do so, but then again, they'd have to know you had it in the first place to be prepared to take it - right? I doubt that the common criminal that breaks into a middle-class home is going to have the equipment necessary to move an entire safe that's bolted to the floor, which is what I assume most people that have any kind of serious collection have.

Hell, a friend of mine has this huge Cannon safe that cost more than the guns he puts in it - you could easily fit yourself inside it. It's bolted to the floor in his basement. I bet it weighs in upwards of 1500lbs. How would they even get it out of the house without tearing out the wall? When they installed it they had to take the door frame out to get it through.

I don't know...I guess given enough time and the right equipment they can steal anything you've got but...like I said, it goes back to...are they coming to take that or is it just a couple of two-bit criminals busting out windows and stealing TVs that run across an enormous gun safe? What would they do? Come back later? I guess I can see that but then again, that's a pretty big risk isn't it? The next time they might not be so lucky...you know? But who knows...I guess it's all speculation, and in the end, you probably know more about it than I do.