Main Area > Odds n Ends

The best deal...EVER.

(1/3) > >>

jestercinti:
This one goes out to all of the parts whores.

A week ago, I was at Mid-Ohio vintage days at the swap-meet.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw a clear plastic box divided into little compartments.  It instantly caught my eye.  I took a look, and it was valve shims...a lot of them!

I told the seller that I would be back.  I somehow had a set of calipers with me in the car that would determine if they were 29.5mm.  Unfortunately, they were 29.0mm, the ones for Kawasaki, Yamaha and BMW.   >:(

I said, "Thank you sir, but these must be 29.5mm, for Suzuki GS models."  To which he replied, "I have been trying to unload these for a long time.  How's $20 sound?"  I reluctantly handed him $20.

That night, I inventoried what I had.  There were 72 shims ranging from 2.00mm to 2.85mm meticulously inventoried into compartments, labeled, and mainly untouched.  I decided to list on E-Bay, hoping to at least triple my money.  I put a reserve of $60 on the item.

Within 20 or so minutes, my reserve was met.  The price continued to jump $50 at a time.  Tonight they sold for $219.27.  Not bad for a $20 investment.  :woohoo:

So I ask you, what's your best deal?

yamahonkawazuki:

--- Quote from: jestercinti on July 29, 2012, 11:28:00 PM ---This one goes out to all of the parts whores.

A week ago, I was at Mid-Ohio vintage days at the swap-meet.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw a clear plastic box divided into little compartments.  It instantly caught my eye.  I took a look, and it was valve shims...a lot of them!

I told the seller that I would be back.  I somehow had a set of calipers with me in the car that would determine if they were 29.5mm.  Unfortunately, they were 29.0mm, the ones for Kawasaki, Yamaha and BMW.   >:(

I said, "Thank you sir, but these must be 29.5mm, for Suzuki GS models."  To which he replied, "I have been trying to unload these for a long time.  How's $20 sound?"  I reluctantly handed him $20.

That night, I inventoried what I had.  There were 72 shims ranging from 2.00mm to 2.85mm meticulously inventoried into compartments, labeled, and mainly untouched.  I decided to list on E-Bay, hoping to at least triple my money.  I put a reserve of $60 on the item.

Within 20 or so minutes, my reserve was met.  The price continued to jump $50 at a time.  Tonight they sold for $219.27.  Not bad for a $20 investment.  :woohoo:

--- End quote ---
i buy and sell wristwatches on ebay. as well as from friends pawn shop. from pawn shop i snagged a gucci watch out of hte $5 bin. ( signed gucci btw)  sold that one from israel, bought a half dozen watches. including a swatch chronograph. i got it for 99 cents. ( and 10 shipping lol) so 10.98 to my door. the swatch sold for $62 minues my cost for battery and initial purchase of roughly 2 dollars i came out ahead. VERY ahead

GI_JO_NATHAN:

--- Quote from: yamahonkawazuki on July 29, 2012, 11:33:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: jestercinti on July 29, 2012, 11:28:00 PM ---This one goes out to all of the parts whores.

--- End quote ---
i buy and sell wristwatches on ebay. as well as from friends pawn shop. from pawn shop i snagged a gucci watch out of hte $5 bin. ( signed gucci btw)  sold that one from israel, bought a half dozen watches. including a swatch chronograph. i got it for 99 cents. ( and 10 shipping lol) so 10.98 to my door. the swatch sold for $62 minues my cost for battery and initial purchase of roughly 2 dollars i came out ahead. VERY ahead

--- End quote ---
Damn man that's awesome!

Huff1371:
I got a saw given to me by my work to just make some room. Sold it for $800, cost about $50 in gas and twelve pack to a couple friends to move it. Helped me get my new Rock River LAR-15

mister:
Not my best but some....

1 - acquired boxes and boxes of blank vhs clamshell cases. Phoned a wholesaler to get a price than phoned a video duplicator to offer them the cases. I told him to make me an offer, he lowballedme, I said "you've got to do better than that"and he jumped up heaps. I made a few hundred bucks.

2 - acquired a data cabinet. Found a sparky that instals them, took it around and we did a deal. He then asked me if I could find a buyer for 30 flouro light fittings. He told me his bottom price and said whatever I got above that was my bonus. Another multiple hundreds entered my pocket. My cost... Phone calls and a bit of gas

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version