Main Area > Projects / Builds, Racing and Tech

The birth of the GS500PE

(1/4) > >>

NortwestRider:
I just bought TREY from Addiasguy for my wife.We are heading up to Deadhorse next June and she didn't want to to be a passenger,she wanted her own bike and beable to say she rode there!!.I wanted to buy her a DL650 BUT our budget for the whole trip was between $5,000-6,000 which included buying a bike.So when I figured out that a DL was not going to happen I had to figure out what other SUZUKI would work ( I'm a ZUK guy !! ) and the GS500 was the next best thing. :thumb:
So there are going to be some mods needed on the bike for the trip and this thread will cover those.

1..Panniers ( saddle bags ).I will probably go with 50mm ammo cans like I have on BlackSunshine.They are cheap,STURDY,water tight and look good and act like crash bars for the back of the bike.

2..Fairing,not sure yet what kind maybe a Plexifairing OR a small cafe type that I can fit a taller screen to.

3..Skid plate,this will be aluminum that will attach to the head pipes ( after I wrap them with header wrap ) and protect the front and bottom of the engine from rocks and stuff kicked up by the front tire on the dirt/gravel roads in Alaska.

4..Fork gators,to protect the forks.

5..Gel Seat.

6..Highway pegs,these will be attached to the SW Motec crash bars for the 6,000+ mile trip.

7..Shinko 705 tires,I will need to fit a 120 up front ( smallest 17" size they make ) so this might mean that there will be some front fender mods !!.

8..1 gallon gas can carrier,I will fit this on the rack that came with the bike.

9..BarkBusters,I will buy the cheapo aluminum ones,mod them to fit and make aluminum guards to shield the wind/rain.

10..HippoHands.never leave home in the winter without these !!!.

Thats all I can think off right now but I'm sure there will be more.I will be doing this over the winter so we can ride in the spring to sort it all out.Oh ya it's a GS500PE..Purple Explorer

Here is the bike as we bought it yesterday.

and one of the happy owner.

adidasguy:

So happy you got Trey. I can't wait to see pictures of him in Alaska. You know, it is always hard seeing one of your children go out on an adventure of a lifetime. He's a good boy and has had lots of love from me. He will behave and not cause you any trouble.

Also glad you live near me so I can help (I hope) in doing your additions to Trey.

And you know you already are getting that gel seat!

I am amazed how quickly you learned the rules of the board. "Pictures or it didn't happen". I remember you saying that and taking pictures as we did the gender switch from blue to purple.

Glad to have you as a member of the West Seattle GS500 Club.

NortwestRider:
Here'sTrey nakid !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iclrag:
That's a beautiful bike! i'm glad you know the pics or it didn't happen rule  :icon_lol: we live by it here!
Anyways, i can't wait to see more! do you have any pics of your other bike(s)? i'm interested to see the attatched ammo cans (i have a few lying around my house) may be a mod i'll look into as well

--- Quote ---1..Panniers ( saddle bags ).I will probably go with 50mm ammo cans like I have on BlackSunshine.They are cheap,STURDY,water tight and look good and act like crash bars for the back of the bike.

That sounds like it could be really cool! (pics of black sunshine?)

2..Fairing,not sure yet what kind maybe a Plexifairing OR a small cafe type that I can fit a taller screen to.

full fairing or just the front?

3..Skid plate,this will be aluminum that will attach to the head pipes ( after I wrap them with header wrap ) and protect the front and bottom of the engine from rocks and stuff kicked up by the front tire on the dirt/gravel roads in Alaska.

are you buying some or fabricating it? Moose racing makes pipe gaurds that will protect your headers from just about everything including a wreck (Yes, they are for dirt bikes so you will have to buy 2 [1 for each header pipe])

4..Fork gators,to protect the forks.

5..Gel Seat.

6..Highway pegs,these will be attached to the SW Motec crash bars for the 6,000+ mile trip.

7..Shinko 705 tires,I will need to fit a 120 up front ( smallest 17" size they make ) so this might mean that there will be some front fender mods !!.

8..1 gallon gas can carrier,I will fit this on the rack that came with the bike.

Twisted throttle sells gas bottles and mounting kits that are discreet (doesn't sound like you care about discreet though)

9..BarkBusters,I will buy the cheapo aluminum ones,mod them to fit and make aluminum guards to shield the wind/rain.

These are the same as any brush gaurd / knuckle busters, right?

10..HippoHands.never leave home in the winter without these !!!.

I just googled those, looks nice for alaska riding!!!

--- End quote ---

NortwestRider:
Here's my hack with the ammo cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version