Author Topic: Last Post Wins - V3  (Read 685134 times)

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
Re: Last Post Wins - V3
« Reply #8980 on: October 21, 2019, 12:22:52 PM »
... now really.... your pants are gonna catch on fire Petey!! ... hahahahaahaaa. . You Aussie Pic/Post whoremonger you!!!.... bahahahaaaaaa

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hmmmm... peteGS posts... 1029

Janx101 posts... 5414

:flipoff: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol: ;) :angeldevil: :D

I can't attach screen shot proof for some reason  :technical: :hithead:

Oh this thread is such fun!!!  :icon_razz: :cheers:
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #8981 on: October 21, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
Oh and I'm contemplating how I can get a bit of a ratty/surivor 750 Kat to replace the 450 as my commuter, having way too much fun riding my Kat and I want to ride it all the time... but I need to do the head rebuild first, and sell the 450 if I was to do that... then I would still be rather short on funds for a second Kat.

I can dream right?
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #8982 on: October 21, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »

this is a great shot pete w the misty cloudy gray background

heck yea get a clapper kat and fix it pete!  that'd be awesome to see you resurrect a real turd kat
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline Janx101

• I only use hair curlers for their intended purpose
  • Motorcycle God!
  • Singing is a new MotoVlog Hobby!
« Reply #8983 on: October 22, 2019, 02:51:49 AM »
Yes Pete.... I didn’t say I wasn’t a post whore.... just that you shouldn’t deny you are! ...

1029 posts you say..... bet less than 29 aren’t about that Kat build!  :icon_lol: :flipoff: :cheers:

Offline Janx101

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #8984 on: October 22, 2019, 03:01:17 AM »
....my Grip Puppies are in the mail... Express Post from Dandenong!.... hopefully tmw!

The bar grips on Betsy are too slender!... getting hand cramps and tingly fingers.... not my riding position doing it... I get this issue often enough.... not carpal tunnel... just worn down/over stressed joints I think.. 25+ years moving folks furniture! and other truck related stuff.....

Numb type hands were an issue on the GS500... back years ago I put thicker than usual standard type grips on... but the gradual further deterioration makes it more of an effect now..... so I’ll try the $30 puppies for grip size before I lay more dollars down for some heavy oxfords or something..

Numb hands on this beast?! .... umm no thank you!!

Oh and CBRFXR67 ... thanks!

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #8985 on: October 22, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »
Ok ok you may have a point about my Kat posts there  :icon_razz: :oops: :D

Dunno about fixing up a ratty Kat though... I think leaving it a little ratty might be good for a commuter to keep certain eyes off it, and it would bother me less if the dreaded fall or knock happens. Then again, all a pipe dream now unless $$ magically fall from the sky!

Keep us updated on those grips Janxy! I have a bit of an issue with slender grips also. On the 450 I've always gone with foam grips as they solved those problems, but I've found they compress too soon and need replacing too often which is annoying. Only riding it to work and back now means I don't really notice though.

I'm trying some Renthal larger diameter dual compound grips on the Kat: https://www.renthal.com/moto/road-dual-compound-grips-large-32mm-o-d-1

They're ok, but a little harder than I prefer, and I still find some cramping/wrist issues with my right wrist in particular when holding the throttle still for a while. Twisty riding I don't notice.

I've heard of/seen grip puppies but never spoken to anyone who's tried them to know if they'll help, so very curious to hear your feedback!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline Janx101

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #8986 on: October 23, 2019, 03:58:44 AM »
I saw mention of them on a XSR forum... I asked a mate if he knew of them... his mate in Victoria has used them for a few years and rates them pretty well.... he has toured across several parts of Australia with them too... so still being happy with them is good!

He uses them more for damping down the vibrations felt thru the bars... on looooooong rides that makes sense! ...

They didn’t turn up today ... Shitbuggerbumpissbitchcockfart!!!!

Hoping for tmw again!!

Express Post my hairy white arse!!

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #8987 on: October 23, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »
Excellent, I may have to procure a set at some point although I think a set of main jets for the VM33 smoothbores may be in my future if the Kat is still a little rich at WOT. Find out this weekend I hope!

Express post is a joke these days, I find probably 25% or more express posted parcels take at least two days instead of the guaranteed next business day. The shocks for the Kat were sent from Pinkenba (something like 6 or 7kms from the Brisbane CBD) to me at Keperra (10kms from the Brisbane CBD) and they got sent down the Gold Coast instead, taking two days to get here. Aus Post have a serious issue with their logistics...

Have to share a photo of the reduced throttle action with the R1 throttle tube with the VM33's... I'm impressed how quick the action is now and can't wait to test on the weekend!!

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

When I loaned my mate's AFR gauge I promised I'd make a better mounting system for it (it's a panel mount gauge he made a dodgy handlebar mount for) and I finally finished it. Now uses GoPro mounts so it's much more versatile and a bit neater being satin black.

Between now and the weekend I need to sort this out too...

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline Janx101

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #8988 on: October 25, 2019, 05:10:07 AM »
Pete.....as soon as you can manage it financially.... GET THE GRIP PUPPIES!!!! ...  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #8989 on: October 25, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
Ah good to hear!!! I'll put them on the shopping list Mr Janx, thanks for the heads up!! I'm assuming there's a big improvement? Comfort and vibes all improved?

I suspect main jets at least for the VM33 Smoothbores will be next on my purchase list followed by a new rear tyre and rego renewal in November's pay packet. Hopefully I can squeeze a set of grip puppies in there somewhere too!

How easy/difficult was the install?

Horn reinstalled last night (forgot to get a pic of the repaired and painted bracket) and VM33's all set to go, need to get tuning this weekend!

'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #8990 on: October 25, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »
that's sweet
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline Janx101

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #8991 on: October 26, 2019, 12:35:31 AM »
Vibes you can say are Gone! ... yes you know the engine is running but there’s no Buzz! ...

... rode 45 mins last night... long lap to get fuel and donuts from a regional 7eleven .. got 98Ron for 149.9 when everywhere else was 183.9!! .. fuel checker app for the win!! ....

... got NO cramping at all!! .. had some slight pain in right wrist until I realised I was leaning on the bars a bit.. straightened up and it went away...

... riding the beastie is even more fun when I can continually feel the bars! .. probably safer too eh!?  :icon_rolleyes:

... install instructions say ..more or less..  “wet inside of tube with soapy water, simply push over grip until seated firmly, trim excess carefully with craft knife”

Soapy water.... not so much... I ended up using about a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid in half a cup volume of water in a bowl.... just dunked the whole grip in... “wet the inside of tube Ha!” ... tried simply pushing them on...... tap tap... tap..... push.... tap......TAP......PUSHPUSHTAPTAPTAPPUUUUUUUUSHF...K!!!..... stuff that for a joke!! ...

... so I did what I did in the video!! ... then soaked most of the water out with firm towel pressure, trimmed carefully with...... well kinda carefully with a..... ok I was over it by then and just did a quick ring-bark move then pulled away the excess........and let them dry! ... then went back and trimmed the little tufts of foam when dry!

Added advantage of dishwashing liquid was that I had a nice Apple & Raspberry scent while I worked!  :icon_lol:

But yes.... definitely worth the dollars if you suffer old man hand cramps!!!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:37:34 AM by Janx101 »

Offline Janx101

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #8992 on: October 26, 2019, 12:39:31 AM »
That’s a lot of carbs tucked in there Pete! .... nice and shiny too!! ...  :thumb:

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #8993 on: October 26, 2019, 12:48:52 PM »
Hahahah love the write up Janxy, great news!!

Sounds like well worth the money indeed for us with old man hands for sure, and yes, feeling the 'bars is most definitely much better than the alternative  :laugh: :) :icon_lol: :o

Sure is a lot of carb alright! Bumped up the pilots yesterday as the 17.5's just don't give it enough fuel even with choke when cold, so the 22.5's are in there now and it starts easily with a bit of choke.

This morning is going to be testing and tuning time... can't wait!
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline Janx101

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #8994 on: October 26, 2019, 11:15:06 PM »
Just did a 2.5 hour (2 hour actual riding) regional loop... Shellharbour - Shoalhaven/Bomaderry - Kangaroo Valley - Robertson - Macquarie Pass - Shellharbour ... 140km .. the Kangaroo Valley to Macquarie Pass sections are mostly mountain curves interspersed with country 2 lane roads through pretty farmland.

No hand cramps! ... Puppies are SO DAMN GOOD!! ..  some wrist ache if I got lazy and started leaning forward again... a bad habit! ...  :hithead:

Some moderate local weekend traffic everywhere, some marked and unmarked PoPo ... so behaved myself and just cruised! ... which I normally do anyway!!  :angeldevil:

A couple spirited squirts however when conditions allowed and there was some REALLY slow traffic ahead!... just enough throttle action to create “the grin”  :icon_twisted:

Over 500km on the Odo now... halfway to first service! ... and on this ride I think I actually settled into it’s behaviour properly! ... all the other rides till now have been sprint and coast and just being amazed how much MORE it goes than the GS!!! .. this time I relaxed and started paying proper attention to HOW it goes rather than just IT GOES!!!!!  :icon_eek: :thumb:

Been using Premium 98 Octane last couple rides anywhere... the dealer had 95 in it though when I picked it up from new...I’m gonna fill next tank with 95 again.... just as a comparo... I think it actually felt smoother on the 95?! ... not that the two fuels are that far apart in “bang factor” .. it sounds slightly throatier in the 98 also I think? .. but that might still just be the exhaust system getting some carbon into it and getting a lower burble like most systems.... it’s going to be more a learning comparison into what works best really.

Y’all should go and have a test ride on one of these demons! .. just for the fun of it!  O0

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:17:20 PM by Janx101 »

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #8995 on: October 27, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
Awesome Janxy!!! Glad to hear you're getting into it and enjoying the new ride  :woohoo: :icon_mrgreen: :D :angeldevil:

Definitely have to get me some grip puppies by the sounds!

I used to run the 450 on 95 until it started getting difficult to find when they made the E10 mandatory, so I switched back to 91. Completely different world of bikes, but I found it never liked 98 at all...

I did about 170kms of "test" riding with the VM33's yesterday... truth be told about 20 or 30 of those were the test, the rest were just enjoyment  :D She wakes up something fierce with those carbs on! Just need to get some smaller main jets in as towards and beyond 3/4 throttle she gets way too rich.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline Janx101

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #8996 on: October 29, 2019, 11:56:16 PM »
All the 7eleven in Australia have 95 I think Pete.... usually light blue on the handle... I've never got a bum load of fuel from them either.. they turn over too much product

Offline Janx101

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #8997 on: October 29, 2019, 11:57:57 PM »
Oh and...  so you could say... Hey bro! The VM-Tec kicked in yo!

Offline peteGS

• Das alte knacker !
  • World Supersport Racer
  • Zuks rock!
« Reply #8998 on: October 30, 2019, 12:38:04 PM »
 :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Up here the 95 also gets hard to get when you head out from suburbia as well, 98 seems common enough but not 95. You can get 91 anywhere though...

Haven't bitten the bullet on any grip puppies as yet, definitely going to need to procure some main jets and possibly some pilot jets and I most definitely need a new rear tyre next pay, so I'll have to hold off on the puppies for the moment.
'82 GS450E
'84 GSX1100S Katana

Offline Janx101

• Motorcycle God!
« Reply #8999 on: October 31, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
Reckon they'll still be there when you get to them Pete!.

Now I'm still impatiently waiting for my helmet hook and mirror extender rods to turn up! Mutter mutter mumble

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk