News:

Need a manual?  Buy a Haynes manual Here

Main Menu

ShowBizWolf's 1998 GS500E

Started by ShowBizWolf, August 10, 2016, 09:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShowBizWolf

Haha yeah I wasn't really stressing over it cuz the sale is for all of March and I'm guessing they will get more in. And if they don't... well... then it wasn't meant to be for me!  ;)
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

TheGreenWeenie

can't tell if joking around, or you just got played by the website... I checked it for 1995. and it said it only had 1 left in stock too.. but 1995, and 1996 are the same exact size...
[/quote]

I would have got them regardless cause it was on the list of things i needed. I just didn't want to anger anyone by snatching them up real fast like.  :cheers:

1996 GS 500E
2016 XSR900

Hupjai

You made your own P-Clamps!  :icon_razz:

Nice job, looks great!  :cheers:

ShowBizWolf

I sure did! Thanks Hupjai  :cheers:

Haven't had much time to work on this lately but here's where I am. Got the third bracket done and the front half is secure. Took it for a test ride and the nose fairing doesn't hit when the forks bottom out so that's good. Cut apart that red GS fender and realized how I actually should have cut it lol so I bought another one off ebay. Cut it the way I wanted, used some of that black shoe goo stuff to temporarily secure the washers and screws, fit it up through the fork brace to get an idea of how the back half will look.

Will take some pictures once I use the resin and mat to make the screws permanent and I start figuring out exactly what shape I want to make the section of the front half that will cover the fork brace.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

ShowBizWolf

Ordered those brake lines and also 4 of these (you get the stud and the nut for each quantity of 1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/231701133196?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT to replace the exhaust bolts. I did some searches and read in other threads that the stainless ones are debatable but they were what I found for a good deal (I also submitted a best offer and it was accepted).

Also fiberglassed the back half fender screws in place and drilled the holes in the fork brace a bit bigger so it won't put strain on the screws when trying to line 'em up with the holes. I'm going on about 1 hour (at best) of sleep in the past 24 hours atm and I've got vacuuming to do so that's where I'm headed and then it's nap time for me! Then I'll work on this stuff some more.

Oh oh and my dad gave me a 4 ft 2 bulb fluorescent light for my garage and I also bought 2 daylight floodlight LED bulbs for the other fixture so I will be able to see what I'm doing a lot better after I get home from work at midnight :D

ShowBizWolf

Removed the exhaust yesterday and had a super fun time removing the old gaskets. Got 'em out and ordered new ones... then watched What About Bob lol while I used more of that Yoshi stain magic I bought last summer to polish my pipes again. Spent about 3 hours on them and now they look new again. Will leave the system off until I get those brake lines and install them.

Big Rich

Ah, classic BFM.....

Biz, if you don't want to wait for exhaust gaskets, dealers should still carry them. At least.... last time I looked for them they were available locally. It's not like we are getting a ton of snow this wee......

Crap, nevermind. Haha.
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

ShowBizWolf

LOL I know right... this weather  :bs:

I'd go to the dealer... it's 2 minutes from my house... but it's much easier on my nerves to order things online. I think my anxiety gets worse in the winter  :icon_sad:  :cookoo:

ShowBizWolf

A few pics finally. How I shaped the front half of a stock GS fender for the rear half of my design and the screws up thru:

Underneath after scoring the surface with the dremel and fiberglassing the screws into place. I decided against using the nylon lock nuts for this part because I don't want to strain the screws any more than necessary. I'll use simple stainless nuts with lock washers instead.

Back half secure on the bike. This isn't the final fitment, I haven't decided on the color and there is some rash on it I want to fix... just needs to be in place for when I make the middle piece that will cover the brace.

And finally, I spent $30 and ordered a gixxer headlight from ebay. I want to see once and for all if I can make it work with my nose fairing. After looking at it briefly this morning after getting home from work, I see two ways it could go. I could go about buying headlight brackets for the forks, cleaning up the whole light, packing the wiring into the back of the headlight etc etc etc because I think there will be enough space. Not totally sure yet. My second option is to remove the front half of the headlight, which is the clear lens and some black plastic framing and make it part of the nose fairing itself. Will make it look way more complete but I won't have to mess with the GS headlight and I'll still have a nose fairing that I can remove in like 2 minutes. :dunno_black:

ShowBizWolf

Got my exhaust gaskets in the mail yesterday already! Still waiting for the brake lines and the exhaust studs. I'm thinking tonight I may remake that top bracket if I'm not too tired after work (and I don't have to spend time shoveling out the bottom of my driveway just to get my van in... smh).

the_63

Enjoying the innovation B! Good work. Carry on  :cheers:

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

ShowBizWolf

Nice to know you're still following along ^_^ Thank you!!

I got the studs for the exhaust in the mail today right as I was leaving for work. I also finished polishing the exhaust and wiped it down with brake cleaner as was suggested last summer in my thread about the Yoshimura polish. This time when I reinstall it, I'm gonna wear gloves and wipe it down once more before starting the bike.

I did start the new bracket last night when I got home but didn't feel like finishing it. I also started gathering stuff I'll need when doing the brake lines... found these gems yesterday:

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=27147.msg286559#msg286559

http://www.bbburma.net/HowTo/BrakeFluid_Replace/

:sigh: I just really wish I had more energy. If the weather was nice I'd be much farther along by now.

the_63

Quote from: ShowBizWolf on March 16, 2017, 04:32:43 PM
Nice to know you're still following along ^_^ Thank you!!

I got the studs for the exhaust in the mail today right as I was leaving for work. I also finished polishing the exhaust and wiped it down with brake cleaner as was suggested last summer in my thread about the Yoshimura polish. This time when I reinstall it, I'm gonna wear gloves and wipe it down once more before starting the bike.

I did start the new bracket last night when I got home but didn't feel like finishing it. I also started gathering stuff I'll need when doing the brake lines... found these gems yesterday:

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=27147.msg286559#msg286559

http://www.bbburma.net/HowTo/BrakeFluid_Replace/

:sigh: I just really wish I had more energy. If the weather was nice I'd be much farther along by now.

Just read from the first link! HEL are a small company  :icon_lol: That's entertaining. I'm about to order my own HEL lines. Like right now. coincidence...

Chris
O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

cbrfxr67

you got time with that blinding blizzard!  finfish that headlight yet??  :dunno_black:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

ShowBizWolf

You are so right cbr... that snow has made me and mostly everyone else around here so grumpy and just ugh... thankfully it stopped but we are supposed to now get a bunch of freezing rain this weekend  :2guns:

I haven't done anything with the headlight yet but I'm thinking maybe this weekend I'll have the chance to get that project started. Still not sure what I'm gonna do with the H7 port in the housing...

Here's a pic I took this morning after work of the exhaust, new studs and nuts and the gaskets

The stud kit:

Wound 'em in without a problem and put the new gaskets in. Test fit the pipes and the flanges fit over no problem. Hooray!

motoMechE

Oooo shiny... love the polished pipes. Where'd ya get the fancy stud kit?  :)

And +1 on the weather... what kind of cruel world do we live in where DST kicks in our extra hour of sunlight after work everyday, and suddenly it gets too cold to enjoy it??

ShowBizWolf

I couldn't agree more! I just keep telling myself I'm one day closer to spring! Glad you like the pipes motoMech... I spent waaaay too much for that whole system back when I bought my bike lol and I'm so glad I am able to keep it looking nice after 5 years.

You get the stud and nut for each quantity of 1 you order. 4 or more and they give you the little thing of loctite anti seize! I searched on here and read multiple threads about these... and even though some things were said against stainless, I didn't have much luck looking for suggested chrome plated studs. When I found this ebay listing I figured I'd go this way. OH and I almost forgot to mention, I submitted a "best offer" of $3 a piece and it was accepted so the kit cost me total $12.

EDIT: I should note this... I bought ones that are 50mm because that's what size I needed to work with my aftermarket exhaust. I do not know if that length would work with the stock GS clamps (and I don't have my old exhaust layin' around anywhere for me to test it out for ya or I would!) However I can tell you that the studs thread in 20mm and then stop even though if you stick a screwdriver or something else in the holes to measure the depth, it shows 25mm.

Here's the link. They do have different lengths of course... as well as ones that are alloy steel if you look at the other products they offer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231701133196?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

motoMechE

Perfect!  :) Thanks for the edit... in case anyone is wondering for stock, I went ahead with the M8-1.25 x 60mm

Math:
20mm threaded depth + ~19mm clamp thickness + 8mm (via McMaster) nut height = 47mm

3mm clearance seems tight when working with unknown hardware tolerances and whatever the gasket adds, so I went up a size--I like around at least 50-75% a nut's thickness of bolt extra in case it decides to come loose.

EDIT: Offered $3.00 for (4) bolts, and was countered (and accepted) $4.35--good deal with Loctite and free expedited shipping!

ShowBizWolf

Nice!!! Hope this info will help out some other people in the future :cheers:

ShowBizWolf

Okay so today I removed the stock headlight... had to drill out onea the screws holding the chrome ring to the bucket, labeled all the wires, etc etc.

What a mess lol...

Anyway, I test fitted the gixxer headlight and after removing two tabs which I wouldn't need anyway, I'm 99% sure it will fit nicely. The cats wouldn't help me hold the headlight up while I matched up where my nose fairing has always been so I used a bungee cord and held up the fairing. It will sit almost exactly where I placed it 5 years ago so hooray for that. Only difference will be that it won't be resting on the top of the gauges anymore and I can get a proper windscreen fitted... both of which are positives! Oh and I should also be able to get rid of the gnarly lookin' fork brackets I have never gotten around to spiffing up.

I am thinking to use the stock GS brackets... and make a "spacer bracket" of sorts that will go from the gixxer headlight to the stock bracket. Had to open up the headlight and make sure there is space inside for a lock nut on each side.

After watching youtube vids and searching on the interwebz, I baked the headlight for 30 minutes at 220F on a foil lined tray after removing all I could from it. It was amazing... the front lens came apart from the back half like melty cheese...

I feel kind bad for this poor headlight... obviously was in a crash and then sold online... and today it got cut, dremeled, pried at, baked in an oven... lol... and after all that I won't be using this specific one because after all my figuring, I need one with 4 of the 6 mounting brackets intact. I also would prefer one with the plastic aimer dials unbroken... but it most certainly did help me in determining if this will work and what steps I gotta take next. That was the whole point of spending the least amount possible just to get one to see/mess with up close.

Still not sure if I will go this route... much more to figure out but it has been fun along the way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk