Author Topic: mr72's '92 "project"  (Read 9139 times)

Offline mr72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
Re: mr72's '92 "project"
« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2019, 07:17:14 PM »
Replaced the clutch cable and went for a spin with the 14t sprocket.

First of all, I discovered that if I am not riding this thing regularly, it really is cranky when it's cold. I think the float bowls get empty and it has a hard time filling them on startup and it takes a while before there's vacuum long enough to get the petcock to flow. Going to have to figure this out. I'm guessing the trick will be putting it on PRI for a couple of minutes prior to starting when it's been sitting. Also I get the impression everything is gummed up. I think I'll put a dose of B-12 in the tank.

Anyway...

So the clutch cable is miraculously better. OMG I can't believe how much better that is. If you have spongy and crummy clutch feel CHECK THE CABLE under the cover.

The 14t sprocket. Well, the bike doesn't wheelie all the time. But it does seem to love revving a lot more. It definitely feels more energetic all the time. But it's screaming down the road at 65mph, turning over 6K in 6th gear. The biggest thing for me is getting used to not accelerating at 3K rpm like I do on the Triumph. After I ride it about 10 minutes then it suddenly feels quite quick but it's mostly because I'm used to the power band and not upshifting at 6K rpm all the time like I do on the Bonnie. After a few minutes on it, the bike begins to feel very high strung and hooliganish.

So in all, I am not 100% sure I love the 14t. I am sure I like it better than the 16, but I'm glad the 41t rear didn't work out because I think it would be nearly unusable on the highway with any shorter gearing. A 15t might be perfect. But for the time being, the 14t will stay and make that bike interesting.

Mostly I just need to be riding this more.

Offline Jim Knopf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
  • The Outlaw
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2019, 10:03:11 PM »
Servus, 
Try the 16er in Front with the 41er in the Rear :D

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2019, 02:03:18 PM »
I don't have a 41t that fits the rear. The one I ordered didn't fit so I sent it back.

Online cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2019, 04:10:17 PM »
where pic mr? :dunno_black:

:icon_mrgreen:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2019, 05:37:18 PM »
well, you can't see the new sprocket :)

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2019, 11:50:25 PM »
So, rode it a lot more today. Once it's warmed up and I get my GS senses back, it's kind of a hoot and definitely more high strung. And it does wheelie pretty readily off the line with just a hint of leaning back.