Author Topic: Motorcyclist "Points of Interest"  (Read 320 times)

Offline rscottlow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
Motorcyclist "Points of Interest"
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:43:32 AM »
Good news on two fronts for me: the weather is warming up this weekend to the high 60's F, and my brother has all of the parts needed to get his SV in good riding order (tires, fork seals, turn signal, and a new helmet). Oh, and I've ordered the items for the diode mod to get my turn signals fixed (finally). So we're planning a ride for this weekend! We're riding to a popular motorcyclist stop locally called the Rabbit Hash General Store in Burlington, Kentucky. It opened in 1831, and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1989. But one year ago yesterday it burned to the ground. In order to keep it on the historical registry, there's a ton of extra work that goes into the rebuild, but it's nearly finished. They're hoping to reopen this spring. Check out this article if you're interested...

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/02/13/after-fire-rabbit-hash-general-stores-rises-again/97332798/

So I want to hear about cool riding destinations in your corner of the world. Whether they're popular roads to ride/drive or interesting places to stop, what have you got?
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
Re: Motorcyclist "Points of Interest"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
I haven't really been in my area long enough to hear about any particular "hot spot" for motorcyclists, but there is a mountain basically in my back yard and on weekends 2 wheeled enthusiasts and sports-car drivers alike have "spirited" rides/drives up and down.

Beautiful area, and up top is a touristy destination called "cookie cabin" where you can get a slice of pizza, a beverage, and a cookie the size of a dinner plate.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:12:53 AM by Watcher »
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline 1018cc

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 02:40:17 PM »
That looks like a beautiful road watcher. I also absolutely love the lightnings - I really want one. You're lucky to own it.

Offline Watcher

• World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 03:29:55 PM »
That looks like a beautiful road watcher. I also absolutely love the lightnings - I really want one. You're lucky to own it.

It certainly is an interesting machine.  I don't know how available they are outside the USA, but here they're somewhat common.

One of those bikes that you almost never see on the road, but at the same time there seems to always be at least one for sale online.
Whether or not the seller has a clue about what its actually worth is the real challenge with finding one.

-Neil Peart

Offline 1018cc

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »
It certainly is an interesting machine.  I don't know how available they are outside the USA, but here they're somewhat common.

One of those bikes that you almost never see on the road, but at the same time there seems to always be at least one for sale online.
Whether or not the seller has a clue about what its actually worth is the real challenge with finding one.

I'm in Aus and we have them here (not very common). I've only seen a Firebolt in real life in my area on the road and I've seen one Lightning at the Kawasaki/KTM stealership (getting parts for the wife's bike - it was in their trade-ins section). I'm finding the hardest part is finding the 'right' one due to not that many being for sale.

Offline dominickbuff

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 10:45:33 AM »
i live in ny and lake George is beautiful but more specifically i like taking the road past the million dollar beach and up the hill behind it.....  across from the beach is where Americade is held every year and 100,000+ motorcycle riders come its a blast

Offline MikeNW

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 11:41:25 PM »
Watcher, is that Mt Lemmon?  Nice ride!
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
I live in theory- everything works there!

Offline Watcher

• World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 12:38:00 AM »
Watcher, is that Mt Lemmon?  Nice ride!

YES!  Are you local to Tucson?  I'd love someone to ride with.

-Neil Peart

Offline MikeNW

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »
First, 10 points for using a Neil Peart quote.

I lived in AZ from 2002 to 2008, and rode all over the state.  One trip was to Tucson, where I rode up Mt Lemmon, then down the BACK side.  On a '05 Concours, which is NOT an off-road bike.  I survived somehow  :cookoo:

I live in LA now (Lower Alabama) which is a little too far to ride to AZ anymore.  LA is pretty boring actually.  You see one flat, tree-lined two lane, you've seen them all.

The West is the best!
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
I live in theory- everything works there!

Offline Watcher

• World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 06:49:23 PM »
First, 10 points for using a Neil Peart quote.

I lived in AZ from 2002 to 2008, and rode all over the state.  One trip was to Tucson, where I rode up Mt Lemmon, then down the BACK side.  On a '05 Concours, which is NOT an off-road bike.  I survived somehow  :cookoo:

The West is the best!

Peart quotes best quotes.  And he was a motorcycle rider.  Did you happen to read his book?

Yeah, I moved here from Chicago last fall, to beat the snow and cold, so far I have no regrets.
I do plan to go down the backside of the mountain, but I also plan to do it on a dual-purpose.  Likely a DRZ-400.

On the upside is it that far to The Tail of the Dragon from where you are now?

-Neil Peart