Author Topic: Downsizing. Talk me into (or out of) doing it...  (Read 1609 times)

Offline qcbaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
Re: Downsizing. Talk me into (or out of) doing it...
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »
I see what you're saying.  But the Panigale is also a premium level superbike more akin to the R1M, which is over $20k.

R1M is probably getting closer in terms of "premium level superbike" so that's totally a fair comparison. But, both those bikes compete in the same class as the GSXR-1000R which is thousands of dollars cheaper. Although, the GSX-1000R is probably less "premium" so I'll give you that.

But I think it's best compared to a ZX14R or Hayabusa based on engine size and both of those bikes are...  Only $15k really?

Based on displacement alone, yes. But the ZX-14R and the Hayabusa are big sport touring/drag bikes, and the Panigale is a superbike. Its definitely in the same overall class as the GSXR-1000R, CBR1000R, ZX-10R, and R1M. I mean, its what Ducati races in World Superbike alongside all the Japanese bikes I just named...

Ducati also has a SuperSport series in the current lineup which is more alike to the 1000 sport bikes, that is hovering around $10-15k.
And the Multitask isn't far off from the BMW and KTM adventure offerings.

Despite the name, the SuperSport is actually more alone the lines of the GSX-S1000F in terms of "class". Its a more upright sport-standard kind of bike. That one's pricing is more in line with other bikes in its class, for sure if it only costs $15K.

And honestly, I have no idea if the MultiStrada and HyperStrada are close in price to other ADV or Supermoto bikes, respectively.

Ducati on average IS more expensive, but for the most part it's not like Ferrari is to Chevrolet...

Agree completely.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:42:32 PM by qcbaker »

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
I read an article this morning claiming that VW is considering selling off Ducati. No word on possible buyers, but it's always interesting with a big name manufacturer changes ownership...

http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/could-ducati-be-up-for-sale-again.html
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »
I heard about that.

A bunch of guys on my Buell forum have a feeling that if Hero buys it then they'll end up dead.  Hero owned a 49% stake in EBR, and that ended really well...

But, EBR and even Buell was a relatively unknown name.  Ducati has worldwide recognition, even with non-riders.  So long as whoever buys Ducati leaves well enough alone I don't think there will be any major worries.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline dominickbuff

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2017, 03:46:36 PM »
if whoever buys ducatti lowers maitnence costs i might buy one 8)

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2017, 03:56:44 PM »
I heard about that.

A bunch of guys on my Buell forum have a feeling that if Hero buys it then they'll end up dead.  Hero owned a 49% stake in EBR, and that ended really well...

But, EBR and even Buell was a relatively unknown name.  Ducati has worldwide recognition, even with non-riders.  So long as whoever buys Ducati leaves well enough alone I don't think there will be any major worries.

Right...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »
if whoever buys ducatti lowers maitnence costs i might buy one 8)

Just do it all yourself...

I've got my first valve service in 1200 miles or so.  I'll let you know how hard it was.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:42:39 PM by Watcher »
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline dominickbuff

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2017, 05:32:54 PM »
kk keep me posted on that