Author Topic: Rider Education Videos  (Read 193 times)

Offline qcbaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
Rider Education Videos
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:23:26 PM »
After the video Watcher posted in his thread about downsizing, I got sucked into a bunch of motovlog stuff yesterday. While I was down that rabbit hole, I came upon this and thought I'd share:

If you've never heard of it, Twist of the Wrist is a very highly regarded riding instructional video. It has amazing information about body position, throttle control, braking, corner entry/exit, etc. The video itself is very sportbike-centric, but the principles apply no matter what you're riding. Be warned though, the "acting" (if you can call it that) is hilariously bad. But, its definitely worth watching and re-watching many times since the actual info is so good.

Anyway, feel free to post more instructional or informational videos.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:42:51 AM by qcbaker »

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
Re: Rider Education Videos
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »
Somewhere on YouTube is a "tastefully edited" version without the cheesy acting.  It also takes a good chunk of time off the video since it's just the meat and potatoes.
Looks like it was taken down, my link is dead...

A Twist of the Wrist II is one of if not the best advanced skill training videos out there.  It's a long watch, but well worth it, and some of the skills they talk about can be counter-intuitive.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:37:11 PM by Watcher »
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline Watcher

• World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 04:56:35 PM »
AH!  Looks like it got taken down!

It'll likely end up back on YouTube again, it always does.

-Neil Peart

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »
Yep...I had been watching it in chunks, as the poor acting is pretty difficult to take in large doses lol. I had about a half hour left still...
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline qcbaker

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:44:02 AM »
I updated the OP with different YT vid. This one has Koren subtitles, but you can just ignore that :thumb:

I had kinda hoped other people would post up some other instructional videos as well lol. But if this is just the "where can I watch Twist of the Wrist II?" thread, that's fine I guess.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:45:07 AM by qcbaker »

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 08:58:17 AM »
Haha awesome. All of the ones I tried watching had a foreign language voiced over the original audio.

I would share some other vids, but this is really the first one I've tried watching. It's been hugely beneficial, too.
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline Watcher

• World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
Honestly I don't know of much material besides what the MSF supplied me with (which I'm not allowed to simply share) and the Twist of the Wrist, but I don't necessarily have time to scour YouTube for videos.

I did put some interesting videos in the Ask a RiderCoach thread I could import over, but less what I'd call "instructional" and more "informational".

I am thinking of just doing a few things myself.  Is there anything you want to know how to do?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:47:41 AM by Watcher »

-Neil Peart

Offline qcbaker

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
I did put some interesting videos in the Ask a RiderCoach thread I could import over, but less what I'd call "instructional" and more "informational"

"Informational" videos count as "rider education" to me. Stuff like that low speed countersteering one are pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

I am thinking of just doing a few things myself.  Is there anything you want to know how to do?

I think that's a great idea mate. I think a video companion to your normal "You need 4 things for an engine to run" spiel would be great for people who are less familiar with motorcycle anatomy. Maybe use one of the MSF bikes (if you're allowed) and take video of yourself inspecting the air filter, then checking the spark plugs, then spraying starting fluid into the filter, all that stuff. Obviously, you cant go into enormous detail but I think something like that could help people narrow down their problems so that they can ask for more specific advice on forums. That way, you end up with less generic "my bike wont start, HALP" threads and more specific "my bike isn't getting fuel/spark/air, HALP" threads, which are easier to troubleshoot since you know at least where to start.

Also, maybe I'll give a go at scouring YT for some more info stuff. Most of what I watch on there is sportbike/supersport related but I'll try to find stuff that's more generally applicable.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:00:51 AM by qcbaker »

Offline Watcher

• World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »

I think that's a great idea mate. I think a video companion to your normal "You need 4 things for an engine to run" spiel would be great for people who are less familiar with motorcycle anatomy. Maybe use one of the MSF bikes (if you're allowed).

As good an idea as that is, it's a little too involved for me to do at this time.  For one I'd need to bring tools along to the range and it's kind of hard to bring a 300+ piece craftsman set by bike.  For two I don't have a capable stationary video camera.  And for three I don't think my employer would be happy about me tearing apart a program bike, and my Buell is actually kind of hard to work on and pretty alien to most bikes.  For example, my air filter is in the space recognizable as the fuel tank, and in order to access the spark plugs I basically have to drop the engine or use a gajillion extensions and universal joints to snake a ratchet up in there.

But for a lot of things technical you really can't beat Ari Henning's MC Garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP6AFR4t9Hs&list=PLoIkhe-bQcoDvIb1vDJmU2yta55pczpsW

If there's anything Helmet-Camera-able you can think of...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:43:56 AM by Watcher »

-Neil Peart

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 11:45:32 AM »
I was doing a bit of reading this morning, and I came across this website. I haven't watched any of the instructional videos, but there's some good information found in his articles.

http://www.ridinginthezone.com/
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline Watcher

• World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
I was doing a bit of reading this morning, and I came across this website. I haven't watched any of the instructional videos, but there's some good information found in his articles.

http://www.ridinginthezone.com/

Cool, I'm going to take some time in the next few days and read through a lot of those.

-Neil Peart

Offline qcbaker

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »
So, I'm reading through some of the blog on that website Scott posted and I have to say I'm enjoying their content. Reminds me of Common Tread on RevZilla. Been looking for more moto blogs to read. :thumb: Thanks man!

Offline Watcher

• World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »
I made one!   :woohoo:  Not professional quality, but hopefully the instruction and demonstration is clear.  Inspired by a recent topic in the General Discussion section.

I also did a whole thing on cornering while I was at it, but because of the camera angle half the time you couldn't even tell I was turning, lol!  If I can salvage any of the footage I'll try to do something with it, but I may need a second camera and perspective to compliment the angle focused on the handlebars.

-Neil Peart