Author Topic: Explain Your Username  (Read 259 times)

Offline qcbaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
Explain Your Username
« on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
I've seen this topic in other forums and its always been fun: explain your username!

Some are boring (like mine, "QC" are my first and middle initials, and "Baker" is my last name lol), but some people have interesting names, and they usually have an fun anecdote or interesting inspiration.

Go!

Offline the_63

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: Explain Your Username
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »
Mine is my American Football jersey number. None of the other sports at my university use the number 63 on their kits, so I'm THE 63 of this uni  :cool:

Chris
 O0
'99 GS500ex (sookie)

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 12:18:54 PM »
"Watcher" first came about when online gaming.

Got really into Counter-Strike with some friends, started getting competitive, and began playing as a ringer for a team on occasion.  Don't ask me what I used to go by, because I don't remember, and it changed fairly often anyway.

For those that don't know Counter-Strike is a game of Terrorist vs Counter-Terrorist (SWAT, Navy SEAL, SAS, GSG9, etc), most commonly it's "Bomb Defuse".
Typically 5 vs 5, the Terrorists (Ts) have to plant a bomb and subsequently prevent it from being defused, the Counter-Terrorists (CTs) have to prevent it from being planted, or defuse it if planted.
Typical map layout is, say, bomb site A to the East side, bomb site B to the West, CTs and Ts start opposite each other at North and South, both bomb sites are biased towards the CT start area (to give them time to get there and defend it), and there's a path that somehow traverses the middle of the map.  The most famous of these maps is called Dust2 and is like a middle eastern village, and there's a spot accessible a short distance from the CT starting position that overlooks the middle called "Catwalk" or "Cat".  As Ts you usually all stick together, or split up to cause misdirection, but as CTs you sort of have to split your effort between A and B.  So usually it's 2 to a side with the 5th man supporting whichever is the weaker side.  Typically you don't watch over cat with that much effort, it's a bottleneck so Ts usually don't go that way, and you can basically cover it from A, so it's not usually a concern.
That being said, I thought it was the most usable spot for me.  As the 5th man I had to be kind of fluid in my play style, and because from cat I could sometimes see or hear them coming and estimate what their plan was (A or B or middle, split, how many, etc), then rotate over to whichever side I thought needed reinforcements, A or B.  Over the mic I could give my guys a few seconds heads-up, and usually coming to A or B from Cat was rather unexpected since for A the Ts would be fighting my allies on a farther side and I'd naturally flank them, for B I'd actually be coming in behind the Ts through a tunnel.

Well eventually everyone kept asking me if I could see anything, or requesting I snoop out what's going on because it's been too quiet too long.  Often an aggressive tendency would get me killed early on, but I'd get so much insight from it that I'd usually be able to guess what was going on and tell my guys "Long A, Cat A, Mid, B tunnel, etc".  I wasn't the best player, my end game scores were never that high, but since I was good at getting a lot of information from a short view, had a tendency to watch over both bomb-sites at once, and in non-competitive games I would usually tell everyone "I'll watch cat," I started going by "Watcher", and the name stuck with me.  For games other than Counter-Strike, for Paintball, for forums...

Lately I've been going by Whiskey-Fox or some variation on that.  I've discovered that my last name basically means fox.  I thought it'd be cool to use Fox in a name, then, but everything I could think of would either be too cookie-cutter (GreyFox, SwampFox, DesertFox, whatever) or just didn't have a good ring to it (WatchFox?).  One time while gaming, and in a goofy mood, I changed my name to WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot, and I thought of whiskey.  I love whiskey, quite recently discovered, due in no small part to working at a liquor store.  So WhiskeyFox was born and now that's my current GamerTag and my new forum name.

But once again I'm on the verge of changing it.  I recently found out my name is more specifically a variation on little fox, so I might just start going by Little Fox...  I'm not exactly little at 6'0" and 220lbs, but being that I'm apparently into small and agile motorcycles it could work.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:35:00 PM by Watcher »
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »
Counter-Strike!!! I've been out of the gaming "scene" for about a decade, but I spent a lot of hours playing Counter-Strike on my PC back in the day. I was ColdSteel...or (adl)ColdSteel when I played with my brother and his friends from the Army Dental Lab. This was back when online gaming was in its relative infancy, so I thought it was pretty phenomenal that I could play video games with my brother who was hundreds of miles away.

Anyway, since I rarely have time for gaming these days, rscottlow has taken the place of ColdSteel as my primary username/tag. Simply my first initial, followed by my middle name (which is what everyone calls me) and my last name. Boring, right?
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »
Ahh this is cool!!! This thread idea popped into my head once, I'm glad to see someone start it up!

ShowBizWolf is a name I made for myself back in middle school when I was on my first message board... I've been collecting ShowBiz Pizza memorabilia for about 16 years now and I've always loved wolves... the animal, the basketball team, the original Wolfenstein 3-D game lol... so yeah... it was an easy name for me to pick.

I hope this thread gets many replies!! ^_^
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight w/LED H7, '01 GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, fenderectomy, R6 shock, 25mm raising links, underglow, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards and pegs

Offline MichaelM3

• AMA Supersport Racer
  • Commuter and Tourer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 06:35:41 PM »
My father had an unusual sense of humour. My username is based on my initials - four names all starting in M - hence, MichaelM3.
I'm the last of seven kids all of whom have doubling, tripling or quadrupling letters in their initials.
Growing up in an East coast country town in Australia - you've got to make your own fun  :icon_rolleyes:

Offline barry905

• AMA Supersport Racer
  • Too old to be a boy racer!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 05:00:29 AM »
Mine to is a mixture of boring and slightly exotic - well, I think so. When I signed up, I tried for just barry - my real name. That, of course, was taken, but I was offered barry_205 or something similar. As that didn't make much sense, and was also difficult to remember, I went with 905, which comes from the opening lyric of a Who song which starts:

Mother was an incubator
Father was the contents
of a test tube in the ice box
In the factory of birth

My name is 905,
And I've just become alive
I'm the newest populator
Of the planet we call Earth

Written by John Entwistle, of course.
Back on bikes and loving it.

Offline prmas

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 06:56:15 AM »
prmas is an acronym of my business's registered name, which is also from my personal name.
p is my first initial, r is my second, m is the first letter of my surname.
The a represents "Automotive" and the s is for "Services".
Therefore, "prmAutomotiveServices".
I am the owner of an Automotive Services business.
Macka is my nickname from my surname which starts with "Mc".

"Macka"

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 07:57:33 AM »
I've been collecting ShowBiz Pizza memorabilia for about 16 years now

I had to go look this one up...I'd never heard of ShowBiz Pizza before! We've got Chuck-E-Cheese's in our area though. I was terrified of that monstrous rat as a child  :o
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline user11235813

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
I wasn't in the mood for choosing a name so I just added a Fibonacci sequence to make it easier to remember.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
Haha Scott you took the time to look it up!! I feel important :kiss3: :icon_mrgreen: Yea I never got into CEC... if you're ever bored enough to read the history behind the two restaurants, you'll see that there was a bunch of drama between them, ShowBiz was much better for several reasons but (like so many other things in this world) we got left with CEC instead. I'm just glad ShowBiz still has a following and I'm not the "LoneShowBizWolf"  :icon_rolleyes:  :icon_razz:  :laugh:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight w/LED H7, '01 GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, fenderectomy, R6 shock, 25mm raising links, underglow, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards and pegs

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Ich singe fur den herrn
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 04:56:27 PM »
We've had this topic here before lol.
Mine was my first street legal motorcyclet
Yamaha headlight
Honda brake lever
Kawasaki tail light on a
Suzuki gs500e
A bonafide yamahonkawazuki

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=58813.0
Still fun to read the explanations. I wonder if slips title could be changed to something of that length
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:03:31 PM by yamahonkawazuki »
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline pandy

• Purple Pansy Postwhoress
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • Greetings fr Thunderhill..where the dirt is fine!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
When I first start using the Internet about 200 years ago, it was just used by college students all over the world. I started as Pandora (NO, not because of the box *glare*! LOL). I liked Pandora because when everything was released from said box, HOPE remained. I liked the fact that there was still hope (and I kinda, sorta controlled that hope).

My friends started calling me pandy, and it stuck, even irl. Though I'm not a pandybear, I'm often called that, and I *do* collect panda bear stuffed animals (what can I say? I'm a girl!). I'm now pandy, pandyz, pandybear, and any variation of pandy friend come up with.
06 SV650s (2 past GS500's)
RIP Rich
I get blamed for EVERYTHING around here!
:woohoo:

<--- thank you, yama for the best 'fro evAR!

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
Haha Scott you took the time to look it up!! I feel important :kiss3: :icon_mrgreen: Yea I never got into CEC... if you're ever bored enough to read the history behind the two restaurants, you'll see that there was a bunch of drama between them, ShowBiz was much better for several reasons but (like so many other things in this world) we got left with CEC instead. I'm just glad ShowBiz still has a following and I'm not the "LoneShowBizWolf"  :icon_rolleyes:  :icon_razz:  :laugh:
"showbiz pizza,  where a kid can be a kid ! "
we had one of those not far from our home in west chicago back in the day..
rememberthatoneshow.blogspot.com/2008/07/commercials-showbiz-pizza.html?m=1
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »
I can't see those vids in that link for some reason here at work so I'll hafta check it out when I get home!!

Here are two of my favorites from the era in which I get my collectibles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQbCQrCo4MQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHXuf-xH6vQ

When ShowBiz Pizza was using the "Where a kid can be a kid" slogan, they had already begun the merge with CEC... and it was going downhill quickly :cry: All the ShowBiz Pizza Place restaurants were sent out a "Concept Unification" VHS tape which showed how to dismantle the Rock-afire Explosion show, destroy the cosmetics, and re-dress the mechs (that were not CEC's property, they belonged to a company in Florida called Creative Engineering) with CEC stuff. If you did not want to change your restaurant over to CEC, they were told to become independently owned and change the name from SPP.

Many apologies for the slight thread detour. I'm done now :embarrassed:

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
Sorry. Was using my dying cellphone in that failed search.
Tried again using tablet. I had a birthday party there as a young child. Sppsed to have had another one there following year. But car gave birth to a dead transmission. AANYHOWthe commercial lol I remember it like yesterday:
Aaron
".
A proud Mormon

Offline Suzi Q

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 10:27:48 PM »
Lately I've been going by Whiskey-Fox or some variation on that. 

You're missing the "Tango!"
Deals on Amsoil if you want it. PM me for details.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »
Showbiz pizza,...wow I haven't heard that in awhile!

creepy

Mine was from my first bike turd.  Something always needed to be fixed six or seven times on that bike.  ALWAYS!  So naturally I was cbrfxr,...lol
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha