Author Topic: What do you want a cager to know about riding?  (Read 518 times)

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
Re: What do you want a cager to know about riding?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »
Let's please not hijack this thread in the name of lane splitting.

Its gotten large enough it warrants it's own topic, and in regards to the OP I don't think it's really a topic that a motorcyclist should talk about in a 15 minutes blurb to car drivers.  Not only does it warrant it's own discussion, it really does open up a huge debate every time.

If you mention it at all, just mention it's done to both reduce the risk of rear end collision and virtually adds lanes to a roadway in order to reduce traffic congestion.  It's not "unfair" that the rider gets to go "first", just imagine the staggard lines as "motorcycle lanes" much like how many municipalities have bicycle lanes on the roadway.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline qcbaker

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »

Its gotten large enough it warrants it's own topic, and in regards to the OP I don't think it's really a topic that a motorcyclist should talk about in a 15 minutes blurb to car drivers.  Not only does it warrant it's own discussion, it really does open up a huge debate every time.

If you mention it at all, just mention it's done to both reduce the risk of rear end collision and virtually adds lanes to a roadway in order to reduce traffic congestion.  It's not "unfair" that the rider gets to go "first", just imagine the staggard lines as "motorcycle lanes" much like how many municipalities have bicycle lanes on the roadway.

You're right.

Mysho, sorry if I've gone a bit too far into the topic. I'll stop for now.

Offline mysho22

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 07:26:05 PM »

Totally right. I'm down to debate lane splitting anytime, but maybe in a different place lol. I do want to mention it in my thing, though.
Another thing you could mention is that riding a bike makes you (or at least me) a better driver of cages. I found that when I restarted riding bikes my all round awareness when driving increased noticeably. Suddenly I seemed to drop all the sloppy driving habits tha I had got into over a number of years only driving cars. Another thought is that riding a bike makes you much more aware of road conditions - for example, wet roads or leaves on the road, or gravel.

I've found the same, as have a lot of other riders I know! I'll definitely include this, I hadn't even thought about it. Thanks!
Of the Motorcycles and Misfits podcast

Offline Sandgroper57

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 08:56:20 AM »
Don't rely on mirrors, TURN YOUR HEAD!! Applies equally to motorcyclists and motorists.

If you can't be bothered with that then at least set your mirrors correctly. A car has three, rear vision obviously for behind. The wing mirrors should show the next lane clearly. When a vehicle is is passing you in the next lane, once it leaves the mirrors field of vision, it should be alongside you. Adjust the  mirrors out until this is achieved.

We are coming on to winter in this part of the world. Already I have seen people driving with hoodies on. Seriously, in a car which presumably has a heater!!
2013 GS500
2008 VStrom 650

Offline Watcher

• World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 10:20:43 AM »
We are coming on to winter in this part of the world. Already I have seen people driving with hoodies on. Seriously, in a car which presumably has a heater!!

And they have to walk outside to get to and from the car? :dunno_black:

-Neil Peart

Offline Sandgroper57

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »

Why drive with them up? They would be a hindrance to peripheral vision.
2013 GS500
2008 VStrom 650

Offline Watcher

• World Superbike Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 10:54:32 PM »

Why drive with them up? They would be a hindrance to peripheral vision.

I mean, sort of, I guess.  They can always turn their head.

My Jeep had massive holes in the floor, I'd drive with a shemagh on.

-Neil Peart