Author Topic: So who are you all in real life?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline philward

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
Re: So who are you all in real life?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 01:41:08 AM »
I'm Phil from Australia.  During the week I work as a geophysicist.

I originally started riding 17 years ago as a late teenager riding off-road with friends in the country.  The bike I learned to ride on was a Honda TLR200 trials bike and we used to take it into the hills and ravines and challenge each other to see where we could get it through.

Then about 5 years later I decided to get my licence properly and get a bike to ride on the street.  In all likelihood it might have been Long Way Round that provided the tipping point (it was certainly on TV at that time).

My first real bike was a GS500.  It was second hand, very new and had seriously low mileage (2,000ish km).  I had told myself that I wouldn't fall in love with the first bike I saw and so I talked to the guy, who was a young chap, and made him a seriously low offer.  He said he couldn't accept it.  So I told him that I'll keep looking around and that if the bike doesn't sell in the next week or so that we should talk again once I've looked at a few others.  As I was leaving I asked him how come such a new, unused bike was up for sale.  He said he'd lost his licence on it and needed to pay the fines.

I got 10min down the road and I got a call from him.  He said if I threw another $200 on the price then I could have it.  I could hear his mum in the background giving him a hard time to get rid of it.  So I drove back and took the bike.  I went from nothing to being a bike owner in an afternoon!

I've always been a fairly handy person and have a great enthusiasm for DIY, mechanical things and general making.  All my hobbies have that in common.  So I really enjoyed the simplicity and accessibility of the GS when it came to servicing it and the odd upgrade.  Of course you guys (kerry, bhudda, etc) on these forums have to take a lot of credit for providing the information and assistance that got me going with that.  As I went I took some time to document it and contribute to the GS wiki where I saw gaps.

While I owned it a bunch of us from Sydney arranged a group ride through Mangrove Mountain and Wiseman's Ferry.  It was pretty cool to meet a bunch of random strangers at a petrol station one morning and have a whole string of identical bikes set off into the twisties.  Especially seeing as this model is sort of seen as a non-sporty bike ridden by beginners and couriers.  We all had a blast, so I recommend you get on and organise something too.

I think I rode that bike around for about 3 or so years after which I upgraded to my current bike, the Honda CBF1000 (incidentally if you look it up on wikipedia that's my actual bike in the driveway).  Like the GStwins group I was keen to find a similar online community but unfortunately I have to say I found the CBFers to be incredibly hostile.  I don't think that it helps that as a bike it was only really sold in the UK and Europe and generally appealed to a certain sort of older man (which is slightly odd because it's a Fireblade engine thrown in a sport-touring frame).  Lots of territorial, exclusive, argumentative, middle-aged grumpy Englishmen.

So even though I didn't own one anymore I continued to lurk around these forums here.  You really have a great community and I hope you realise that it's something special when it comes to people being pleasant, helpful and accepting on the internet.

Then a year and half ago my girlfriend decided that she might have a go at riding.  What bike has she ended up with?  A GS500 of course!  So I'm back (if only vicariously).  :thumb:
Formerly:
'05 GS500F
fairingless, twin dominator headlights, MC case-guards, alu pegs, alu bar-ends, Yoshi TRS + K&N RU-2970 (22.5/65/147.5), twin Stebel HF80/2 horns, fenderectomy, Oxford HotGrips

Currently:
Honda CBF1000

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »
So even though I didn't own one anymore I continued to lurk around these forums here. 

Don't feel so out of place.  I think a few of us no longer own GSs, I'm thrice removed, in fact, but I stick around.
Nobody is actively trying to kick me out and as long as I add some useful info here and there I feel like I'm earning my stay, lol.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline Lluraeden

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »
My name is Sam, I'm 24 and started riding last season on a 89 GS which I am planning on owning for, at the very least, the remainder of the year. I work as a mechanical engineer, currently in the Aerospace industry in Connecticut. I'm hoping to move out to Seattle next fall, but we will see what happens... I like working with my hands and having projects going on, and while I don't have too much experience with bikes I would love to get into building custom motorcycles (now if only I had a garage, all the tools, more free time, disposable income, and extra bikes...) I'm really glad I finally signed up for and started browsing around the forums, it's great here!

Offline dominickbuff

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »
My name is Sam, I'm 24 and started riding last season on a 89 GS which I am planning on owning for, at the very least, the remainder of the year. I work as a mechanical engineer, currently in the Aerospace industry in Connecticut. I'm hoping to move out to Seattle next fall, but we will see what happens... I like working with my hands and having projects going on, and while I don't have too much experience with bikes I would love to get into building custom motorcycles (now if only I had a garage, all the tools, more free time, disposable income, and extra bikes...) I'm really glad I finally signed up for and started browsing around the forums, it's great here!

im from upstate ny we should meet up and go for a ride sometime

Offline Endopotential

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 12:35:54 AM »
I've noticed a lot of really talented builders crop up on this site of late.

Tell us who you are in real life and join in on the fun?   :cheers:
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 01:27:32 AM »
+1 !!!  :D
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline gregjet

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 07:58:58 PM »
My name is Greg , though my first name is actually Phillip and I didn't even know it was until I was 13!
I have been riding and racing since 1973. Started in the dirt then my first bike was a Ducati 450 Desmo. This is why I will never own another Ducati as long as I live . I do wish I had kept it though as it was the fibreglass 4 leading shoe model that are worth a fortune now.
Despite 36 years as a federal public servant my base was science , which is probably why I spent the last half of it in computing.
I am a 2 wheel fanatic. Now days mountainbikes and motorcycles.
When I was racing motorcycles on the track ( until 5 years ago) I did all my own mech work including building up bikes from bits for the bucket classes. I LOVE small motorcycles and HATE 4 cyl. transverse inline motors. Made some sense when motorcycles were aircooled but doesn't anymore.
I am retired and live in what could be described the perfect climate on the East coast in Queensland. Never freezes, never gets too hot or for too long, rarley gets too dry or wet. Have an acre with a workshop and shed for the assembled toys. So I am pretty well cruising.
No decent roads for hard riding for a long way though.
My GS500F is a 2005 chassis with a 2011 motor that I bought as an almost basket case, as a project and was VERY stuffed, except the motor  ( I have a thread in project area on it). Mostly just playing building stuff to lighten or update bits.
My main bikes are an MT07 ( FZ07) and a Husky TR650 set up for touring.
I have a big apetite for motorcycle tech and have for 45years.

Offline MaxD

• AMA Supersport Racer
  • Electrical engineer, motorcycle rookie
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 03:41:19 AM »
Interesting thread. 

OK, my real name is Farron, and I am a 62 year old consulting electrical engineer based in Dallas, Texas.  My specialty is radio design, which I originally got into as a 14 year old ham radio operator.  I have a wonderful wife, though she thinks motorcycles are too dangerous and won't even ride on the back of my GS500 around the neighborhood (though when we had a little airplane, she loved to fly with me).  We've got two great kids also here in Dallas, and four very sweet grandchildren (also not allowed to ride with me). The bike is an adventure for me since I am not flying currently.   

My user name "MaxD" is in honor of my father--it's his first name and our last initial.  He got me interested in motorcycles as he had several through my childhood.  He was a career Navy enlisted man, and not being able to afford two cars he would leave the car home with my mother and commute to work on his bike.  For 10 years his bike was an old Honda 305 Dream that he worked on constantly and kept in perfect condition.  Though I did not appreciate it at the time, it was a ground breaking design for both performance and practicality--it's the bike in the best seller "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". 

The GS500 is my second real motorcycle after an over 30 year gap of not having a bike.  My first was a 1979 Honda CX500 I bought new the last year I was in the Marines.  I thought it would be cheaper transportation for going to college than a car.  The only time I have ever been down was right after I got that bike and was a green new rider.  I started to brake going downhill when a light at the bottom of the hill turned red, in a rainstorm.  The rear wheel locked, and not knowing then I should keep it locked to ride it out, I immediately let off the rear brake.  The bike instantly slammed down, at about 35mph.  But, it did not hurt me any and the bike not very much either.  Though not quite a real motorcycle, I also had a $100, 70cc Honda Passport for part of college that I could pass off as a moped for parking in bicycle racks on campus--an advantage over the CX500 at the University of Texas where the parking was a bad problem and you might literally have to walk a mile from parking lot to classroom. I liked it and appreciated the 100mpg it delivered, though with a 45 mph top speed it struggled to keep up with city traffic.  Wikipedia reports they are the most produced motor vehicle in history with over 100 million built, and are considered design icons today.  I wish I still had it.   

I've never taken the time to learn serious mechanical skills, but with the good advice I get from the experts here (I'm pretty much in awe of you guys' knowledge of the inner workings of the bike), I am looking forward to doing some real work on my GS500 as opposed to paying the $129 per hour shop rate.  A carburetor rebuild is about to happen, which will be the first time I've ever seen the inside of a carburetor.  At the same time I'll be giving this 2001, 3000 miles on the odometer bike its first ever valve clearance check and adjustment as necessary.  Also, a tank derusting and new exhaust header bolts and gaskets.  Thanks very much to the kind enthusiasts here who have taken the time to advise me.  Without your help, I would have considered jobs like these as too involved for me to be able to take the time to figure out.   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:11:21 PM by MaxD »

Offline Endopotential

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 05:24:36 AM »
Wow, I'm surprised you found this thread after a couple years!

New folks, join in  :cheers:
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=70953.0

2007 GS500F Cafe Fighter - cut off the tail, K&N lunchbox, short exhaust, 20/60/140 jets, R6 shock, all sorts of other random bits...

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »
LOL witless protection. No nothing like that - my wife said you're "posting too much, ASS you, Srinath" and I preferred to hear that as "you're posting too much as you Srinath"
I am Srinath on all fora I post on except on this one and svportal (where I am Jokester) - which ironically is around the same time I got changed here from Srinath to buddha - so much for witless protection.
I am a software engineer living now between Columbia SC and Charlotte NC. Originally from India, and lived in CA and all over the US for a bit, all 4 corners of the contiguous (or is that contagious) US actually.
Other interests, vintage audio equipment (10 yrs), home brewing though not from scratch yet (just about 1 yr), low carb diet (4-5 yrs)

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2020, 11:51:26 PM »
Had to update my original reply! All good updates though so I praise God for that :-*
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline Joolstacho

• AMA Superbike Racer
    • www.gigarboxblues.com.au
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2020, 04:41:30 AM »
Jools. Ex Graphic Designer / Photographer / Muso living in the forest an hour west of Melbourne Oz. Been riding and restoring 'bikes all my life. Current project 1938 OHC KSS/KTT Velocette.
Once a surfie, Guitar maker/player, RC flyer, jack of all trades. I can't stand getting anything fixed by anyone else, -I've learned that you can do anything... you just need the 'gumption' to learn how to do it. There are some interesting people here, (including one or two with delusions of grandeur!!!)  :flipoff:

www.whittakerdesign.com.au/guitars
www.cigarboxblues.com.au
www.whittakerdesign.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oR_kGy-i6w

Yes, good idea... introducing the 'real' people behind the usernames! (And I freely admit to being a ShowBizwolf fan!)
Beam me up Scottie....

Offline SK Racing

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2020, 01:17:59 PM »
My name is Christo and I'm a 67 year old semi-retired IT guy from Pretoria, South Africa. Had a few bikes in my teens and twenties and was fortunate to have owned a 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R. Shortly after buying it second hand and in fairly good condition, I stripped it completely and rebuilt it to my liking.

In 2016, after a 31-year non-riding haitus, I bought a 1989 GS500. It was in bad shape and not registered, so I replaced it with my current ride, a 2004 GS500F. I’ve always wanted a Bonneville again and the GS is in many ways a ‘mini-Bonneville’ to me. The twin cylinder sound is very similar to the Bonne’s and its light and playful handling, is a delight.

My other hobbies and interests are, RC flying, electric motor design & building, amateur astronomy and lately, DIY audio systems - the FirstWatt.com kind. (www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs)

Since ShowBizWolf posted a photo, I thought I'll do the same.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:16:27 AM by SK Racing »
You don’t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding!
1939 Panther 600cc Single - Stolen, 1970 Suzuki 50cc - Sold
1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120R - Sold, 1981 Honda 750F - Sold
1989 Suzuki GS500E - Sold, 2004 Suzuki GS500F - Current ride

Offline Amberdog22

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 07:48:11 PM »
My name is Chris, and i like beer, short toenails and Donald Trumps hair!  From the UK 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gruntle

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 02:54:11 AM »
I'm just a total idiot who likes to scream the proverbials off me bike. oh yeah, also an ancient 60sumfin fart from the uk... 500twins rool mate... ??? :angeldevil:

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2020, 04:57:30 AM »
This thread is makes my day :D

...and thank you Jools!!! :kiss3:
Did you do a lot of graphic design? It's what I concentrated on most when I got my degree... and it WAS really fun... but all it taught me was is that I didn't want to do it for a living :technical: My instructor/advisor took all the enjoyment out of it.

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »

My other hobbies and interests are, RC flying, electric motor design & building, amateur astronomy and lately, DIY audio systems - the FirstWatt.com kind. (www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs)

Wow dude - what's your handle on diyaudio, and are you on audiokarma as well ?
BTW those 2 are almost as old as this forum. Maybe even older ???
I am Srinath on both, though I haven't been on those 2 in a while, lately Klipsch community has had my attention and the bike fora.

Cool.
Buddha.
I run a business based on other people's junk.

Offline SK Racing

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2020, 03:28:45 PM »

Wow dude - what's your handle on diyaudio, and are you on audiokarma as well ?

Double wow, dude. Small world.  :o  Didn't expect any GSTwins members to be on diyaudio. I'm Skylar88, but I'm not on audiokarma, as I'm mainly into DIY.

I'm a dedicated SS junkie, though. Build all my own gear and when I hear the best commercial systems that the hi-fi shops have on offer, I can only feel sorry for their customers. There is no comparison in the sound quality unless they spend really big money.  :dunno_black:  :technical:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:41:42 PM by SK Racing »

Offline herennow

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2020, 05:58:46 PM »
My name is Christo and I'm a 67 year old semi-retired IT guy from Pretoria, South Africa. Had a few bikes in my teens and twenties and was fortunate to have owned a 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R. Shortly after buying it second hand and in fairly good condition, I stripped it completely and rebuilt it to my liking.

In 2016, after a 31-year non-riding haitus, I bought a 1989 GS500. It was in bad shape and not registered, so I replaced it with my current ride, a 2004 GS500F. I’ve always wanted a Bonneville again and the GS is in many ways a ‘mini-Bonneville’ to me. The twin cylinder sound is very similar to the Bonne’s and its light and playful handling, is a delight.

Jislaaik bru. Don't think I ever saw a GS500 while I was in SA. I was born not for from you in Pietersburg. I left in 2006 for Canada where I bought a Spanish 2003 GS500 and then brought it with me to switzerland, along with my 69 Bonnie  ;).

I've just bought a 74 Trident (T150) but that's another story, lets just say swiss 2nd hand dealers can be as shitty (if not worse) that anywhere else in the world.

Sterkte over there!

Offline SK Racing

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2020, 08:21:55 PM »
Klein węreld, nę?  ;)

I think I've seen about five GS500's in SA so far. Needless to say, there are not many spares available. My 2004 GS500 was also made in Spain and the Suzuki agents claim it's a grey import.

I so regret selling my 69 Bonnie. Enjoy your's.