Author Topic: it's too hot to ride  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Nudie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
Re: it's too hot to ride
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 12:30:42 AM »
You guys should come over to Australia for a ride in our summer. The road surface was melting yesterday. Bats were dropping out of trees when they died because the heat had boiled their brains. That's not even in the far north where it gets real hot!

Offline Kiwingenuity

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 12:57:50 AM »
You Aussies have even been kind enough to export some of that sun/heat our way the last few weeks.. been in the low 30's (C) (~90F) here in Wellington which is kind of unusual for us, but the riding has been pretty nice during the holiday break.

Back to the commute however, the rain has now arrived and temperature dropped back into the mid teens this week (60F).

Thankfully we got the previous months rain in one afternoon - so the roads are free of that usual greasy no-rain goodness..

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 06:51:49 PM »
What's the actual temperature reading during those days?

Here in Arizona, USA, it got to be ~115F (46C) many days during the summer, may have actually peaked higher but that's what I remember looking up some days while riding to lunch.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 06:59:24 PM »

Here in Arizona, USA, it got to be ~115F (46C) many days during the summer, may have actually peaked higher but that's what I remember looking up some days while riding to lunch.

115F?

I can barely stand the summers here in PA and it hardly ever gets above 95F.

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 08:43:41 PM »
I charged up the battery yesterday, rolled the GS out onto the driveway, and with a bit of coercing, got her fired up. It was pretty cold, and my wife wasn't home from work yet to keep an eye on the kids while I took a ride, so I just let her run for about a half hour before rolling her back into the garage. It's looking like rain all day tomorrow, so I won't get to enjoy the 60 degree weather, but I'm trying to take a short ride this evening. The forecast is now calling for up to 15 inches of snow Friday night into Saturday, then back down to 5 degrees Saturday night...
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »
wow. Yesterday was gorgeous here. I took a ride to the grocery store and back. Didn't strictly need to get that stuff that day but I did anyway.

Today is not nearly as nice. low-mid 50s, windy, overcast. But I rode to the office today. It was chilly with my perforated jacket and gloves. Around here we buy riding gear to work well in hot weather. Hopefully going home it will be nicer.

We have a front coming in for the weekend and it's supposed to get real cold again and then rain a ton on Monday.

But still winter is the best weather time in CenTX.

Offline Watcher

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 03:41:34 AM »

115F?

I can barely stand the summers here in PA and it hardly ever gets above 95F.

Take it from someone who lived in Chicago for all his life, 115F and <10% humidity isn't as bad as midwestern 95F with humidity >60%.

I won't tell you it isn't hot as hell, it is.  The difference is your sweat actually works to cool you off instead of just soaking your shirt and making you stink, and shade isn't mere protection from the sun, it's tangibly cooler out of direct sunlight.  When the air is thick, the hot just permeates everywhere.  When the air is thin, it's petty localized.
Also, when you've got 115F days you end up with nights in the 80s, and nights in the 80s are wonderful for...  just about everything, really.

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »
Plus in PA when it's 95F it's 95F everywhere, including indoors, since a lot of places and homes don't have air conditioning. Around here when it's 95F (and 80+% humidity!) in the summer, it's only hot when you go from indoors anywhere to your car. Air conditioning is absolutely ubiquitous.

But of course no AC on a motorcycle.

TX is worst of both cases, it gets real hot (over 100F often in summer) and is very humid. Overnight lows in the 80s are actually kind of miserable when it's 95% humidity.

Yesterday's ride home was pretty near perfect, as the sun was going down it went from 69F when I left the office to 65F when I got home. Unfortunately traffic was not nearly perfect so the first half of the ride was a drag. But the second half was pretty sweet.

OTOH weatherman says today we can expect wind gusts up to 45mph and the temp to drop from where it is now about 63F (and damp, rained overnight) down to the 30s by evening as a front comes in, we have another front coming Saturday bringing overnight lows into the teens and highs only 30s and then another front behind that on Monday, we have snow in the forecast for Tues-Weds.

Gotta love TX weather. Keeps you on your toes. Swimming one day, ice skating the next.

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 05:49:58 PM »
It's above freezing (~45F) here today for the first time in weeks, so I finally got to start my bike up and ride to work. Might really still be a bit on the chilly side, but after weeks of freezing temps and wind chills below zero, 45 feels awesome lol.

Offline Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 01:27:25 AM »
It's above freezing (~45F) here today for the first time in weeks, so I finally got to start my bike up and ride to work. Might really still be a bit on the chilly side, but after weeks of freezing temps and wind chills below zero, 45 feels awesome lol.

Yep! It hit 56 in western PA today, so I had to take the GR out:

83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 06:10:12 AM »
Awesome pic Rich!!! And to hear from ya! I didn't manage to get my GS out today, I missed my chance :cry:

Where is your nose fairing?? I am thinking you need to update your project thread! :D
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 02:52:50 PM »
sweet pic
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 05:21:29 PM »
I really envy that bike, Rich!

Offline Big Rich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 06:43:19 PM »
Thanks fellas! That parking lot was the sketchiest part of the whole ride - I had both legs out as downriggers because of the icy tire ruts.

Biz, I still have the GSXR fairing and all the bits..... but I wanted to go with higher bars (for a more relaxed cruising position). Next thing I know, I had the hand guards, TKC / Shinko dual sport tires.....haha. It's nice to have the option to explore a fire road when I see one, ya know?

Thanks Josh! As fun as it may be however, I really do baby it. Only because there's not to many "off the shelf" parts on it. If I could find a cheap GS500, I'd probably jump on it (but still keep the old GR.....).
83 GR650 (riding / rolling project)

It's opener there in the wide open air...

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »
Resurrecting this topic after two years!

You know what? It's STILL too hot to ride. But I found an interesting article that makes a ton of sense. h/t the advrider forum for linking to it.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_hot.pdf

Basically this supports what I found on my own, which is that 93F or below and I'm fine. I ride in my mesh jacket over a wicking t-shirt with jeans and boots and all is well. But above 93F is miserable like this. The article suggests I need entirely different gear for >93 riding, a non-mesh, non-perforated jacket; one with vents but which is "wind proof". Any of you have this same experience?

Yesterday afternoon I went to go check on a jacket to buy and it was a 20 minute ride each way, it really was about 102F and typical CenTx high humidity. It was like standing in front of a blast furnace. 60+mph 102F air blasting me, the air was not helping cool at all but actually making me much hotter and I realized that the mesh jacket was making things worse. Since I have gone down a size or so on my riding gear I was planning to replace both of my jackets with a Klim Induction or a Rev'It mesh jacket for hot weather and a perforated leather that I can wear over a down vest for cooler rides, but now I'm reconsidering, maybe I need THREE jackets? Maybe a light color perforated leather will work for 50-93F and I should get a non-mesh vented jacket for >93F.

Thing is, there are three months out of the year in CenTX where it is >93F between about 11:00 am and 8:00 pm.

Offline Watcher

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »
{snip}

That's pretty logical.

Look at any desert climate region outside of the western world and you'll see people cover up, not dress down.  The notion of adding layers to beat the heat is counter-intuitive to most of us but functional.  That hot wind is dehydrating at best and cooks you at worst.

The whole "blowdryer effect" is pretty strong here in Arizona, and there's extra emphasis on keeping the sun off your skin.  I've found that a good combination for me day to day comes from a very large gauge mesh jacket (Dainese City Guard) and a long-sleeve base under that and I'm usually good around town.  Having the garment cover my arms makes the sun feel less hot, and as I sweat into the garment the wind, though hot, will evaporate the sweat from the garment quite quickly and cool me down.  Wearing this, I don't really notice the "blowdryer effect" unless I'm going at higher speeds for prolonged periods, so for commuting this seems perfect.  In other words, I can outrun the evaporative effect and then I get the hot wind making things worse, but a metered pace is comfortable.  I also don't have to consider water retention when I'm taking a 15 minute ride to work, so the dehydrating effect of the dry wind exposure isn't a deciding factor.

I wear a less meshy jacket when my plan is to ride all day.  It's vented under the arms, across the back, and across the torso, but solid outside the arms, at the sides, and along the chest and shoulders.  It's also a tighter gauge mesh so it doesn't flow as freely.  This way I still have the nice vents for if I'm in traffic, but am more covered for when I'm at higher prolonged speeds.  It seems like a good balance, as I've never been particularly uncomfortable after a long ride, but when I commute in this jacket in summer weather it doesn't seem quite as effective as my full mesh.

The amount of wind you're expecting might be the deciding factor here.  In traffic you want something to keep the sun off you but promote evaporation to keep you cool.  On the interstate you want something to keep the hot wind from dehydrating/heating you like a blowdryer.  In-between seems to require an in-between option.

At least, that's been my experience so far, but I haven't actually tried a windproof jacket in summer yet.
I do have a nice leather with some vents on the back, perhaps I'll give it a shot one day when I'm not working.  I imagine I might feel cooler when moving, but will "stew" a bit inside the jacket.  This seems less than ideal when you've got a nearby destination, especially a professional one.  If I show up at work sweated through my clothes I'm sure I'll be an absolute pleasure to be around.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 07:36:56 PM by Watcher »

-Neil Peart

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2019, 08:33:50 PM »
I do have a nice leather with some vents on the back, perhaps I'll give it a shot one day when I'm not working.  I imagine I might feel cooler when moving, but will "stew" a bit inside the jacket.  This seems less than ideal when you've got a nearby destination, especially a professional one.  If I show up at work sweated through my clothes I'm sure I'll be an absolute pleasure to be around.

Showing up to work sweaty was a huge problem for me when I rode to work in the summer before I got my tank bag. My jacket is perforated and flows air decently when I'm moving, but sitting in traffic can get oppressively hot. I used to just throw the jacket on over my work clothes, and when I got to work I could barely get my jacket off from how sweaty I was. Now, I stuff my collared shirt in my tank bag and wear the jacket over my undershirt. Can still get hot and a little sweaty, especially in heavy traffic, but at least now the sweat can actually evaporate and cool me down rather than just soaking into my shirt and making me feel even hotter lol.

Grain of salt: I don't live in literal hell like you guys do, so I'm talking about 85-95F temp range, usually with 60-80% humidity lol

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2019, 09:20:04 PM »
85-95F with 60% humidity would be heaven.

Today was pretty nice. 96F but only 42% humidity now. I should go ride. After a full month of July, a 90F high day comes along every so often in August in CenTX with lower humidity and we all think it's October.

What I've noticed here is that it's extremely pleasant to ride between about 75 and 85F, all in my perf. leather jacket (which I will not be able to wear this fall..). Below about 75 and long rides get to feel pretty cool. Below 60 and it feels downright cold on a naked bike. Below 50 and this Texan is not going to ride a motorcycle outdoors. I'm close to adopting the same rule when it's >93. It's just hardly worth it.

Anyway, I just dropped four bills on a new helmet, and now I have another $500-600 worth of jackets to replace. I'm going to look at a white Vanson perforated jacket (used) in a couple of weeks, and I hear those vent really well. That might be my 3-seasons jacket (fall-winter-spring). Then maybe the real harsh summer will be something entirely different. I really don't want to have to have three moto jackets. What I NEED is an air-conditioned moto jacket, like the air-conditioned seats in my wife's car.

Offline Watcher

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 06:20:19 AM »

Noooope!

I was just in Chicago last weekend visiting family, the first couple of days we saw highs in the low 80s and it was nice, but by the third and fourth day it was in the 90s with 50% humidity.  I also had to help my dad cut down a tree in the yard during that heat, and it was totally gross.

Reminds me why I left in the first place.  Sweating in the shade, my shirt sticking to me, night-heat, "swamp ass..."  It's monsoon season in Tucson right now so we see similar conditions on occasion, like the day after a heavy rain, but typically humidity is <20%.
I'd compare a 115 desert day to a 100 humid day, except in the desert you can sit in the shade and feel cooler and count on that temperature dropping 20 once the sun goes down.  When it's humid it's inescapable.
I'll stick to the desert.

If I show up at work sweated through my clothes I'm sure I'll be an absolute pleasure to be around.
Now, I stuff my collared shirt in my tank bag and wear the jacket over my undershirt.

Yeah, I do the same thing.  In the hot months I wear CycleGear's CoolR shirts as undershirts almost daily (think UnderArmour but looser fit), and I pack my uniform shirt.  It's comfortable at work, so typically I can get a couple of days use per shirt before I rotate it out.  Unless it's a tire day.  I get filthy on tire days.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:24:57 AM by Watcher »

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »

Noooope!

Well, compared with our CenTX summer weather it is!

I was also just in Chicago like two weeks ago and I thought it was magnificent. Then we had this crazy three or four days of weather setting record overnight lows and highs in the upper 80s to low 90s and low humidity back home. Felt like I had gone to Paris for the summer.

My dad did call yesterday at about 5 pm and asked if I wanted to go ride, I hate to say no to my dad. We did a 2hr ride, lots of 60mph. It's a ride I did on a Saturday morning when it was under 80 degrees a couple of weeks ago. In the morning, this was a quite pleasant ride. Yesterday, it was 96-97F and only like 50% humidity but by the time we were half hour from home I was just flat out ready to be off the bike and inside the air conditioning. Just too hot!

I must be getting old. I also thought winter was too cold last year.