Author Topic: GS500GS?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Nudie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
Re: GS500GS?
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2018, 03:55:56 AM »
Yes I did consider spacing it out a bit to reduce buffeting, both my BMW and my brothers Triumph Tiger have a gap at the bottom of the screen for that purpose. But its still a work in progress. I'm getting sick of looking at it, so it's time to move on to something else, like removing and replacing the rear bodywork maybe.

Offline Nudie

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2018, 09:09:32 AM »
Well, I won't be stuffing around with the rear bodywork. After removing it I realised that the L/H side would be easy, but the R/H side would be a heap of work for little gain. What I wanted to do was slim it down to make fitting pannier racks a bit easier.

But making new, slimmer bodywork would mean moving all of this stuff.

For the amount of work involved, it's just not worth it. If I was trying to make a super special Rallye bike I'd put the work in, but I'm making a $500 bike a bit more suited to adventure riding with the aim of raising money for charity, not win the Dakar race.

Online gregjet

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2018, 07:51:20 PM »
The mounts for the rear handle are quite strong and make a great base for a real rack . If you remove the stock rear plastics it allows you to use the nice narrow rear frame to mount rack, paniers or fuel containers uquite close in. That plus there are a heap of fastening points on the frame already.

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »
I think the GS500 rear end is a lot thinner than it looks. If that makes any sense.
I have a Hepco & Becker rear pannier rack with 30L side cases that look enormous from the back but when I actually measure the distance from the centerline of the bike they don't stick out any farther than the bar ends of my handlebars.

Offline Nudie

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2018, 09:33:01 AM »
If I did take off the rear bodywork I'd really only lose about 40-50mm each side, so I'm not worried about it. I will be using the pillion grab handle mount for the rear rack. First I've got to finish my home made pipe bender. It's been a work in progress for a while now.

Online sam95

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2018, 11:00:15 AM »
Hi Nudie I realy love your mod.

I whish to modify my own gse the same way.

Is it possible for you to make a drawing with the size for your footpegs lowering plate ??
Also what material do you use and what thickness ?

Thanks
Sam

Offline Nudie

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2018, 11:03:11 PM »
Hi Sam, yes I can draw you a plan. I'm away from home until probably Wednesday, so I hope you can wait til then and I'll measure it up for you. The material is 10mmx100mm aluminium stock with 25mmx25mm aluminium stock for the spacer. I started by roughly measuring it all up, then making a plywood template to ensure everything fits. Then cut the final shape in ally.
I hope that helps.

Online sam95

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
Great,

So first thing I have to do is supply some aluminium.