Author Topic: What 4-Wheeled Vehicle Do You Drive?  (Read 470 times)

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
Re: What 4-Wheeled Vehicle Do You Drive?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 09:35:19 PM »
The Wrangler is a box on wheels, and as a result it gets TERRIBLE gas mileage and handles like - well, like a box on wheels. 

Well, it's not THAT terrible, not mine anyway. It's only about 2-3mpg worse than either the Honda Element AWD/5sp we had or our '07 Pilot 2WD with the cylinder deactivation, and just about the same as my wife's '13 Expedition.

Well, the Element is also sort of a box on wheels and the Pilot is a slightly larger and slightly heavier vehicle than the Wrangler.

When I was driving the Wrangler I remember it getting around 16+/- with road tires.  When I got the Cherokee, as long as I was doing my part to not drive it like a total ass I would get around 20.  Both had the same engine, though the Wrangler was Auto and the Cherokee was 5-spd.  Cherokee was also lower to the ground and not as much a box on wheels.  It was also quite a bit lighter.  I remember it being a much faster vehicle if you got on it, as well.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »
Well, it's not THAT terrible, not mine anyway. It's only about 2-3mpg worse than either the Honda Element AWD/5sp we had or our '07 Pilot 2WD with the cylinder deactivation, and just about the same as my wife's '13 Expedition.

Well, the Element is also sort of a box on wheels and the Pilot is a slightly larger and slightly heavier vehicle than the Wrangler.

The Element was significantly smaller than the Wrangler and not nearly as boxy, even though they worked really hard to make it look boxy. It's downright swoopy compared with a Wrangler.

The Wrangler is also bigger, at least in terms of wheelbase and overall dimensions, than the Pilot. A lot taller, somewhat wider, longer wheelbase if not longer overall. IDK the exact weight but my feeling driving them is that the Pilot is probably 400+ lb lighter than the Wrangler. There's a LOT of weight in those axles, the frame, and the wheels. The wheels and tires (counting all 5 incl. spare) alone are probably 400 lb heavier than the wheels and tires on the Pilot.

When I was driving the Wrangler I remember it getting around 16+/- with road tires.  When I got the Cherokee, a... I would get around 20.  ... It was also quite a bit lighter.  I remember it being a much faster vehicle if you got on it, as well.

A 5sp Cherokee with that 4.0L engine definitely felt quick back in the day!

I think the 5sp had a lot to do with it, and being lower makes a big difference in overall wind profile.

Anyway, I get about 18 avg. in routine driving in my 4000-lb light-lift-and-33s 6sp Wrangler Unlimited. Not horrible. We got better gas mileage in the rental Wrangler Unlimited(s) we rented in Hawaii with hard tops, no lift, and much more highway tires.

The new Wrangler 3.6L V6 is a far better (more efficient, more powerful, etc.) engine than that old 4.0L I6.

Offline Toogoofy317

• Calling Dr. Sharp, Dr. Sharp, code blue in O & E forum
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • Addy and me
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2018, 04:32:45 AM »
My boys Rocky and Flick
Rocky is an 08 Nissan Versa I need to get a paint job the clear coat is coming off the roof. But, other than that 138000 miles and he is still running like a top.

Flick is 04 with 36,000 miles and my goal is to have him ready by June got some gaskets for the carbs because I have a small gas leak. Before the stroke I could get the carbs off in 12 minutes. Might take a bit longer now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2004 F, Fenderectomy, barends, gsxr-pegs, pro grip gel covers, 15th JT sprocket, stock decals gone,custom chain guard,GSXR integrated mirrors, flush mount signals, 150 rear tire,white rims, rebuilt top end, V&H Exhaust, Custom heel and chain guard (Adidasguy)

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 07:50:59 AM »
Mary,hun at keast you have a very good chance of returning to the saddle  :icon_mrgreen:
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline Sodemuk

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 06:43:22 AM »
The 89' gs500 project for my girlfriend(she doesn't know yet)

My 2004 volkswagen passat and our german shepherd.

And finally my current bike '2010 hyosung GT650'

Sendt fra min HUAWEI VNS-L31 med Tapatalk

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 05:53:09 PM »
Well, I talked before in this thread about getting a BR-Z but as I looked I realized I preferred the FR-S's look. Over the weekend, I traded in my POS Corolla and came home with a 2013 FR-S. ~56K miles, manual transmission. Driving it home to PA through NYC traffic after not having driven a manual car for a few years was a bit nerve racking to say the least. Got through it though and here it is in my driveway:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:58:00 PM by qcbaker »

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 05:23:12 PM »
Congrats on your purchase, QC! How are you liking it? If I didn't have kids, or had the room and the budget for more cars, this one would definitely be on the list. I really like the looks of them.
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 05:43:02 PM »
Congrats on your purchase, QC! How are you liking it? If I didn't have kids, or had the room and the budget for more cars, this one would definitely be on the list. I really like the looks of them.

Thanks! I'm really liking it so far. It handles like a dream, and I forgot how much more satisfying driving manual is (especially when the shifter and gearbox are as good as the 86's are). I wouldn't call it "fast" but going from a Corolla to this, it definitely feels quick enough lol. For me, the lack of space hasn't really been an issue. I very rarely have more than 1 other person in my car, so the lack of seating space doesn't really bother me. On the 2 times I've had an additional passenger, the rear seats did the job, even if they are pretty cramped. Probably wouldn't have anyone back there for a road trip or anything like that, but just giving someone a ride home or whatever, they work well enough. Plus, the trunk is big enough to hold my fishing poles and tackle box with room to spare, so I haven't run into any real space issues yet.

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 04:43:09 PM »
Driving back from my lunch break today on a clear stretch of highway in my FR-S, some dude on a Yamaha FZ (couldn't tell the engine size, but definitely an 07 or 09) rode up close behind me, so I moved into the right lane to let him pass. He then paced me and pointed forward to get me to race. Normally I wouldn't do stuff like that, but there was nobody else around and work has been super boring lately, so I figured why not have a little fun. Downshifted to 5th with a rev match to let him know I was game, then downshifted to fourth and away we went. Kept up with him for the most part, but I think I was just a little ballsier than he was. He would've won in an actual serious race, I'm sure. Still, a bit of mid-day fun to break up the monotony of work felt good. I'm not condoning real street racing or riding like a hooligan in traffic, but I think a little clear highway roll race is basically harmless.

Offline Kilted1

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 03:28:13 AM »
Nothing terribly special.  My work van is a Chevy Uplander, my wife's van is a mid-0's (Piece of) Chrysler.  I had a '96 Corolla until the sprog got his license, now I just move it out of the way so I can go to work, and pay the insurance of course.  There's also the 33' RV but that has 6 wheels.