Author Topic: AJP Caliper seals ??  (Read 496 times)

Offline olosh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
AJP Caliper seals ??
« on: April 05, 2018, 04:12:30 PM »
Hi. I have a GS500 K5 made in Spain with AJP calipers instead of Tokico ones. I have ordered up 2 sets of rear caliper seals but both have been the wrong size. The ones I need are 2.5mm (main seal) and 2.0mm (dust seal) thick. All the presumably Tokico compatible ones I recieved have 3.0mm thick main seals. Anyone know where I can get AJP compatible seals in the UK without paying a fortune ? Are there any other bikes known to use the same size seals ?  Cheers !

Offline max

• AMA Supersport Racer
Re: AJP Caliper seals ??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:50:32 PM »
I've often ordered spares from wemoto.com

They do a rear caliper seal kit for the 05 GS500 that even appears to include the caliper splitting seal: http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/gs_500_k4_k5/04-05/picture/rebuild_kit_full_seals_caliper_-_rear/

However, they're notoriously bad at providing product information. Although the parts have always been correct for me, I'd recommend contacting them to confirm seal sizes if possible.

Online tobyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 09:10:04 PM »
Not had a problem with wemoto either, they're pretty helpful.

Offline olosh

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 09:16:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents. Sadly one of the incorrect sets WAS ordered from Wemoto. When I informed them it was too thick they were very good about it, searched for the correct part measuring up all the possibilities in their stock with a vernier and offered a prepaid envelope to return the wrong one, but they could not find the correct one in stock or to order.

Offline max

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 12:11:30 AM »
Thanks for the replies gents. Sadly one of the incorrect sets WAS ordered from Wemoto. When I informed them it was too thick they were very good about it, searched for the correct part measuring up all the possibilities in their stock with a vernier and offered a prepaid envelope to return the wrong one, but they could not find the correct one in stock or to order.

Ah that's unfortunate then.

I bought brake seals from Brakemasters / Powerhouse Automotive for my old Yamaha R125 before (an eBay-based company). Although their 2005 GS 500 kit also says it's for the Tokico calipers: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GS500-F-rear-brake-caliper-seal-rebuild-kit-set-2004-2005-2006-2007-2008-/161843156002?hash=item25ae9a9422

The 04, 05, 06 and 07 GSs all appear to use the same seal set so maybe they've just labelled it incorrectly? (https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/suzuki-genuine-parts/691000be10-pistonset.aspx)

If not, I'm sure if you know the sizes and get in contact with them they'll have some suitable seals.

Offline olosh

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »
Haha, I messaged him a couple of days ago. His reply was...

Hi,

Iím afraid thereís no choice on that except new parts form a Suzuki dealer, we are unable to obtain seals for the AJP calipers anywhere.

Be aware though that Suzuki recently applied some new part numbers to those seals and we think they might now be wrongly supplying the Ďnormalí Japanese seals for them instead of the correct AJP fitment, so even Suzuki might supply the wrong parts.

Afraid thatís all I can offer.

Regards,

So it looks like I might be fighting a losing battle right now. :-( Main Suzuki dealer quoted me £45 but did state that if the order was made with the VIN number then it would be their responsibility if I get the wrong bit. Still £45 is a painful lot for brake seals. The existing ones don't look too bad so I might just rebuild and see how it goes. 

Offline Kookas

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »
Have you tried just looking for AJP seals (not specifically for the GS)? They might just be pattern seals. For example, here is an AJP seal kit which includes a 2.5mm and 2.0mm:

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/1618/brake-caliper-repair-overhaul-kit-ajp-calipers

Offline olosh

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 12:49:23 PM »
Yup. I have tried several dealers who stock AJS calipers but apparently they are sold as aftermarket upgrades for trials bikes and they do not have any 'historic' stock for the ones supplied to Suzuki. The AJS company is now called Braktec and I have tried to contact them direct but the form on their website doesn't seem to work.

Offline max

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »
Haha, I messaged him a couple of days ago. His reply was...

Hi,

I’m afraid there’s no choice on that except new parts form a Suzuki dealer, we are unable to obtain seals for the AJP calipers anywhere.

Be aware though that Suzuki recently applied some new part numbers to those seals and we think they might now be wrongly supplying the ‘normal’ Japanese seals for them instead of the correct AJP fitment, so even Suzuki might supply the wrong parts.

Afraid that’s all I can offer.

Regards,

So it looks like I might be fighting a losing battle right now. :-( Main Suzuki dealer quoted me £45 but did state that if the order was made with the VIN number then it would be their responsibility if I get the wrong bit. Still £45 is a painful lot for brake seals. The existing ones don't look too bad so I might just rebuild and see how it goes.

That's surprising then as my '06 also has an AJP rear caliper, so presumably none of the '04-'07 models would even have a Tokico caliper and in which case they're selling a useless (mislabelled), product?

£45 is pretty steep but it looks like that's because it includes the pistons too (see the attached parts fiche).

If you've got the old seals out maybe you could just measure those up and see if they would sell you equivalent seals? Although I wouldn't like to risk the consequences of them failing during use so would be inclined to just pay out for the OEM ones.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:06:08 PM by max »

Offline max

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 12:48:45 PM »
Were any aftermarket seals ever found? I need to take my AJP rear caliper off so fancy giving it a rebuild, but again the kits all seem to be for the Tokico calipers.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:35:34 PM by max »

Offline Kookas

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 09:13:51 PM »
Were any aftermarket seals ever found? I need to take my AJP rear caliper off so fancy giving it a rebuild, but again the kits all seem to be for the Tokico calipers.

Even the Tokico seals don't fit. Twice now I've bought seals that were supposedly for my exact bike that were just completely wrong - once front, once rear. I've pretty much resigned myself to needing to replace whole calipers when my existing seals kick the bucket. I'm not sure about the rear but I know the front right one off an SV650 is compatible (and of course has way more parts support, because if you buy another GS caliper, you'll just have to do the same again next time).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:17:26 PM by Kookas »

Offline max

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 08:27:13 PM »
Even the Tokico seals don't fit. Twice now I've bought seals that were supposedly for my exact bike that were just completely wrong - once front, once rear. I've pretty much resigned myself to needing to replace whole calipers when my existing seals kick the bucket. I'm not sure about the rear but I know the front right one off an SV650 is compatible (and of course has way more parts support, because if you buy another GS caliper, you'll just have to do the same again next time).

Based on the parts fiche, part 691000BE10 is the piston + seal kit for my '06 with AJP caliper. Any chance you've tried these before I potentially waste my time ordering it?

Offline max

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 07:19:50 PM »
I ended up ordering the OEM piston & seal kit (part 691000BE10) which seems to contain the correct seals (38mm OD pistons, 2mm dust seals, 2.5mm piston seals).

On the packaging they also have a label with Braktec and J.Juan's (the Spanish parent company) logos. The part number is KIT.00.0005, part description is "PISTON SET GS500" and my phone's barcode scanner returns the barcode as 13666238.

Maybe contacting Braktec or J Juan directly with these will help get the parts cheaper.

Offline herennow

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 05:34:01 AM »
Thanks for the information!