Author Topic: Wrong make, probably irreparable. Opinions and anecdotes wanted  (Read 405 times)

Offline tobyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
I should be going to pickup a Yamaha Diversion (I can't remember this, it may become a destiny or diversity as I ramble on, i think it was called the Seca in North America) on Friday.

fairly local to me.
in terrible shape.
for marginally more than its worth. which is about scrap value.

Anyone had one? seen one and thought it look awful and wished they hadn't? I'm expecting, if it even runs again, to be like a 4 cylinder GS.

It doesn't seem to be accident damaged but has been very neglected and has an unknown cause of why it came to be so neglected. It looks pretty bleak, 600cc air cooled l4 (not sure if its the 16v one, probably not). 3/10 styling by a disinterested designer, likely marginal build quality. not a whole more power than a GS.

The parts list runs to new tyres, battery, brakes + fluid, probably exhaust, carb kits, oil, before i'll even know if the engine turns so is an absolutely economic folly (under no impression its anything but). Vague plan is to fill the cylinders with diesel and wait a week while poking at other bits, loosen bolts finding out how it works then seeing if it'll turn. Then investigate the cause of its predicament. I like that its aircooled and seems quite simple though.

Would be nice to have a more motorway competent bike. The GS, whilst great up to 50 or 60 seems like it would be tiring to ride for any distance at 70. And if I went to the continent 75+. Is the Divergence that sort of machine?

Offline pliskin

• Rick Flair's fluff boy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • World Supersport Racer
Re: Wrong make, probably irreparable. Opinions and anecdotes wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 01:05:01 PM »
I had 95 Yamaha XJ600 (US version of the Diversion). It was also a hot mess when I got it. The tank had rust, the forks seals blown, faring was cracked all over. But, I did get it running with a little tinkering. The only thing I really did was take the carbs off and open them up and gave them a quick and dirty cleaning. I also hooked up an auxiliary gas can and it fired right up. Overall I'd say it was a pretty simple bike to work on but I never got to ride it. I just got it running and sold it. It kind of grew on me for the short time I had it.

It has a few more HP that the GS so I'd imaging it will do just fine on the highway.
Does yours look like this?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:07:29 PM by pliskin »
Why are you looking here?

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »
 :dunno_black: where pics?
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »
FWIW -

I have ridden my GS many miles at 65+ mph on 1+ hour long trips and it's just fine as long as you are tolerant of the wind. The bike has more than enough power to go much faster and while it's definitely humming along at 6K rpm or so, it's not like it's dying up there. It just contently rolls on and works fine. So I wouldn't be concerned with that.

Another 10 hp is not going to make a real difference here. I don't know what the downside of riding the GS at 70mph is that you are trying to get away from, but to me the biggest difference is the fairing. A Seca2/Diversion looks like it might have a small wind screen and upper fairing that would reduce wind a lot at those speeds.

For me, the "motorway" type riding is mostly unpleasant due to noise and cross winds from other large vehicles on 3 or 4 lane highways. A semi truck ("lorry") in the next lane produces a ton of wind that runs diagonal to the bike and a LOT of noise. I don't see how any motorcycle is going to be more pleasant in those circumstances.

Anyway, IMHO a 4-carb motorcycle is about 8x as much work potentially to keep working correctly. Twice as many cylinders to diagnose, twice as many valves to adjust, twice the carbs to sync and tune, twice the vacuum leaks... But if you dig another project, go for it. I just don't see how it's going to be appreciably better than a GS unless you are trying to eek out another 5 mph of top speed.

IMHO of course. Don't let me talk you out of a project.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:43:04 PM »
"a 4-carb motorcycle is about 8x as much work potentially to keep working correctly"

-where i got cbrfxr from,...
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline tobyd

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 06:20:13 PM »
imagine that but red with a 4-1 pipe. '93 model so single disc at the front, has sat for ages and might very well just be a misery. I think they may have made these 16v at somepoint but this one is almost certainly 8v.

It doesn't seem like a truly awful piece of machinery. Bland but simple looking, bit more complex than the GS but with a bit more to offer perhaps?

I'm expecting the carbs to be disgusting. I'm more than half expecting to need a replacement engine (a set of new piston rings is more than a 30 day warranteeeeeed unit off ebay) and my previous experiance with the motad nexxan exhaust was less than pleasant. Rusted bolts and gunked up everything else also possible. The parts diagrams show its not a million miles away from the GS, simple suspension, simple forks, basic ignition and electrics, basic 2 pot calipers and brakes. Few more bolts here and there for the fairings but not a big leap.

75 all day is what i want out of it, its a cheapo distance hack if it's salvagable. The GS isn't uncomfortable at 70 its just seems happier at to drone on at 60 or race about B-roads most of that is probably the wind and being so upright. We'll see.

I absolutely expect rust in the tank. Seems like the 2nd hand market is much more bouyant, GS bits are getting rarer and more expensive over here it seems.

Offline tobyd

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 10:15:11 PM »

I stripped the fairings, tank, side panels, battery (0.3v woot). Engine probably horked. rest of it ok. Might be a keeper! Seems to be about what I was looking for. Its huge compared to the GS. Prefer the GS.

Offline tobyd

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 05:28:22 PM »
just as I was dropping the head back on I thought i'd pull the sump to fetch out a washer I dropped in.

it was there I found the shrapnel...

project over.

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 11:29:17 PM »
Yikes. Well guess it's good you found the problem when you did. Dropping that washer was a blessing.

Offline tobyd

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 06:30:42 PM »

I found the washer during the extraction of this.

need a new engine now.

sigh.

Offline gregjet

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 07:56:01 PM »
Guessing water ingestion. Bent rods like that are not common.

Offline tobyd

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 09:23:17 PM »
I wondered if a leaky flat and a leaky petcock and a cold night might have filled the bore with petrol? I honestly couldn't see where the water would get in it being aircooled? But yes, what you say tallies with what others suggest. I still think its insane a few chokey combustions has the torque to bend a conrod.

Waiting on the registration documents before i swap a new engine in.

Yamaha did a significantly better job of building these things than Suzuki did on the GS. Ok, it needs a new engine but even so I think i've only broken 1 bolt so far.

Offline yamahonkawazuki

• Resident MonoPod
  • Global Moderator
  • Motorcycle God!
  • -Dum spiro spero (while i breathe, i hope)
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 05:47:50 AM »
could its former owner have had hte plugs off for whatever reason, and rain? got into plug hole? you can compress air, cant compress water. this to me looks like engines attempt at water compression.
Aaron
Jan 14 2010 0310 I miss you mom
Vielen dank Patrick. Vielen dank
".
A proud Mormon
"if you come in with the bottom of your cast black,
neither one of us will be happy"- Alan Silverman MD

Offline The Buddha

• The guru Ba-moo-derator
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Motorcycle God!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 12:17:47 AM »

I found the washer during the extraction of this.

need a new engine now.

sigh.

That'll buff right out
Grrrrr makes me wish I had the seca motor from 2007 still lying about.
Naaa had a bad starter clutch drive gear - anyway make sure the motor you get has a good idler starter clutch drive  gear. Cos if not, its junk too.

Cool.
Buddha.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I run a business based on other people's junk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Offline tobyd

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 07:22:23 PM »
On top of this....

...both master cylinders are wrecked, the back caliper is wrecked, the front might be and if its not definitely needs new seals.

It's mostly just a frame, exhaust, lights and the loom that are usable... passes the time I suppose...

Will bear that in mind - thanks, i understand the things have a somewhat dubious clutch arrangement anyway and it rattling away is just 'they all do that'.