Author Topic: Helloooo!  (Read 461 times)

Offline BeardedThunder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Helloooo!
« on: June 20, 2018, 03:11:21 AM »
First, hardest freakin CAPTCHA ever. 

Second, glad to find this place, its absolutely loaded with info.  I just picked up a '91 GS500E from a trade.  A previous owner may have stored it parked outside the door of a salt mine or something, it seems randomly rusty.  Just surface rust though it seems but the exhaust (partially wrapped in tape) seems suspect.

It came with the paint pre-butchered, so it will need a repaint of some sort.  And lots of rustyish screws replaced.

Here it is, sitting shyly in the corner.

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
Re: Helloooo!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »
"stored it parked outside the door of a salt mine"

Looks great to me.  What's that red beasty next to it?  What're you're plans for mighty gs?  Just wondering,....and,

"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 06:31:40 PM »
Hahaha the CAPTCHAs go away after ya post 5 times, don't worry :D

Welcome to the forum!! I have the same questions as cbr. Hope to see ya post more :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline BeardedThunder

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 01:51:36 AM »
It immediately needs the left fork seal replaced, it dumped all over the garage floor.  I can't ride it again until that is resolved.

I am not certain if I want to pull the frame and paint it or just mask off what I can get to.  Here's two photos showing the random rust I was referring to earlier.  I assume the paint job they were doing was not completed, or they got a step out of order.  All of the paint has to go.  I've never painted or prepped for paint, so I will probably dislike it very much.  I have gotten fat and lazy over the years.

It's stablemates are a '94 Suzuki RF600R and a '04 BMW R1150RT.  I traded for an XL600R, but I just cant kick it anymore.  I have had a variety of bikes over the years, I always end up buying bikes in the $1000-$3000 range, keeping them for a few years, then selling for about what I paid for it. 

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 06:18:27 AM »
My GS had similar random rust spots like that but not as bad... those kinds of things drive me crazy.

I just got done building new forks for my bike, it was a fun project for sure. I've been riding with leaky seals for way too long now, I admit.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR headlight & cowl, DRZ signals, 1/2" fork brace, 'Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings, heated grips

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »

those were some ginormous pics

Sweet bikes.  Can't wait to see your progress on gs.  If youre interested, hope to see that red beasty in the picture game :icon_razz:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline BeardedThunder

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »
Picture game?

Not sure why they came out so large, thx for reposting.  I can't ride it with the fork seal leak, it's dumping fluid whenever weight is put on it.  I've ridden plenty with a weepy seal, but not like this.

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 03:28:37 PM »
picture game,.....i think challenge is your bike at the beach right now,...

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=45412.5560

you can use whatever bike you have,...some arsehole taking pics of his Harley on there  :bs:

Be sweet to see your red one post up! :star: :star: :star:
-buddha

Offline BeardedThunder

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 11:15:24 PM »
Gotchya - if I wasn't waiting on a sprained ankle/knee to heal, I'd capture the beach one.  I'm in Wilkesboro NC, and the Kerr Scott reservoir has several public beaches.

I think I have decided to pull it apart and rebuild it.  I have never done that before.  Sometimes, changing a sparkplug can be challenging for me.  I'm a smart fella but I tend to poke myself in the eye a bit with tools.  This should be fun and only kinda painful.  I plan to start with the forks because they are getting messy.  My only concern in an overall rebuild is the wiring.  It is in questionable shape.  I assume there are plenty of wiring diagrams around by now.

I'll start a build thread as soon as I get through the CAPTCHA.  It takes me several tries each time I post, even when listening to the letters.

Offline cbrfxr67

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 02:10:25 PM »
I think it hits you 5 times on the captcha before you break free from its evil restrainment.  :2guns:  There were plenty of good wiring harnesses on ebay last time i needed one.  Maybe just swap it out and call it a day?  Oh and for some reason everytime I read the title of your thread,...i hear this in my head

-buddha

Offline ShowBizWolf

• MotoGP Racer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 06:57:42 PM »
Hahahaha cbr you find the perfect gifs! I love that movie sooo much... I think I need to watch it again (for the millionth time haha) !!