Author Topic: What to do with the GS...  (Read 314 times)

Offline rscottlow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
What to do with the GS...
« on: July 06, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
This is my third riding season owning my GS. I originally bought it with the intent of recreational riding only, which is how it accumulated a large majority of its miles the first season I owned it. Last year it became more of a commuter when weather would permit. I realized that with a young family, riding on the weekends was rarely practical, so I got most of my riding in on my way to and from work. This year, things have changed pretty drastically. For one, I bought a car that I really enjoy driving, especially when weather is nice. Second, my brother traded his SV for another car. Last, but not least, my wife was hired on at the company I work for, so now we're carpooling to work every day.

This leaves me with nobody to ride with on the weekends (not that I have much time to ride anyway), and no reason to ride to work (we get extra compensation for each day we carpool, plus we get put on the waiting list for a reserved garage spot instead of parking out in the far lot). As a result, the GS has been sitting in the garage collecting dust for over a month in spite of the fantastic weather we've had. Now I'm at an impasse. Within the next couple of months I'm converting my attached one-car garage into living space. This means I either build or buy a shed in which to store the GS, or I can list it for sale. Not that I want to sell it, but it's not doing me much good just sitting.

What do you all think? Should I keep it, knowing that I'm only likely to be able to ride it once a month at best, or should I sell it?
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
Re: What to do with the GS...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 05:54:52 PM »
Riding once a month is often enough that I'd say it's worth it to keep around. But, my situation is different than yours since I have no kids and my girlfriend and I do not work at the same place.

Short answer: Keep it. Motorcycles are fun even if you only get to ride once in a while.

Long answer: :dunno_black: The value proposition of buying or building a place to store a bike that you don't get to ride very often might not make sense to you. How much do you value your time spent riding?

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »
I took an outside sales job and my gs sat and sat.  I went ahead and sold it.  Now, after that job passed, I recognize what a great bike that one was.  Sure, have other bikes.  Still that one was good to me.  Makes me wonder if I shouldve kept it.
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »
Great perspective, guys. I just wish that I had time to ride more often.

In reality, I could probably get most of the money I've put into it, back out of it. That being said, it's not a massive amount of money by any means. I've got plenty budgeted for our garage renovation anyway, so allocating $300-400 to build a small shed really isn't a big sacrifice. I'll probably wind up storing some frequently used tools in there as well, since it'll be up close to the house (as opposed to being way out in the backyard where my larger shed is located).

I guess I was just looking for some reassurance more than anything. The idea has been floating around in my head for a couple of months now, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on cleaning it up and putting it on CL. I think I'll hold out for now and see what the rest of this riding season brings.
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Online mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »
If I were in your situation, I'd probably sell the motorcycle. It's worth more now than it will be after a year of sitting, and seasonally it'll be easy to sell with the reported gorgeous weather. You can always buy another one if your situation changes.

OTOH if you don't need or want the money and you have a place (just not indoors) to put it, you could probably put a good cover on it and keep it in good enough shape to keep riding once a month even if you have to park outdoors. My dad parks his motorcycle outdoors under a very tall carport (made for an RV) with lots of exposure to the elements and it's been just fine for several years. I know the winters in OH are pretty much different than TX though... we worry more about UV damage in the summer.

Maybe you will do like I do and use the bike for errands and that kind of thing rather than exclusively recreational weekend riding. I mean, I use my bike to run to the grocery store to pick up a couple of items, rent movies, go get donuts on a Saturday morning, etc. Basically any time I have an errand that doesn't warrant the Jeep, and that's nearly all of them. The reduced wear/mileage on the Jeep plus reduced fuel costs makes the GS pay for itself about once a year.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 05:26:23 PM »
Usually I'm really good at putting myself in another person's shoes... but I love my GS so stinkin' much that I am finding it hard to imagine what it'd be like to be thinking of getting rid of it.

At first I was like, "Omg noooooo don't sell it!!" But I thought about it... and if you really truly don't think you'll find the time (or want to make the time... cuz we all deserve to take time for ourselves here and there) to ride it, then perhaps you should sell it.

I feel bad for most bikes that just sit and don't get to be ridden. When I'm thinking about selling something or donating something, what makes it easier for me to let go of it is thinking of how much happiness it could bring to someone else who would useit... and get more enjoyment out of it than I do/am.
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight & cowl, GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 03:11:49 AM »
I've got almost the opposite problem going on.  I can be a bit more exact in the explanation but to put it in blunt terms "I'm getting bored of riding."

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE riding, I'll never give it up, but I'm at the point where I'm really developing some advanced skills and now I'm taking some track techniques to the street.  The commute isn't stimulating enough, I'm starting to press limits on the street and I've already had a close enough brush with the law that I'm seeing a problem.
I need a "creative outlet," so to speak, for my riding.

In lieu of wrecking a 17 year old Italian masterpiece by throwing it too hard into a turn, I'm debating picking up a more "disposable" bike that I can ride to the track, get my need for speed, and ride home.
I'm thinking Ninja 300, but if I can find the right GS for the right price I might just go that route instead.

Anyway, that's kind of where I was going with this.  If the role of the GS as you see it currently is unsatisfactory or unfulfilling, change the GS's role.
If it's not a commuter or a weekend joy-ride, what about making it into a track bike?  Or starting a proper project like making it a scrambler?
Of course both of these would require MORE garage space, not less, so that may be reason enough to look the other way, but would you rather hold onto a bike for an extended period waiting for the chance to ride again, fabricate a purpose to enable you to hold onto it, or reminisce about the times you had and hope you can do it again "some day"?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:24:45 AM by Watcher »
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Online mr72

• World Superbike Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »
I've got almost the opposite problem going on.  I can be a bit more exact in the explanation but to put it in blunt terms "I'm getting bored of riding."

Interesting.

I've almost always had sports cars etc. for my daily driver. In the 90s I had a '72 240Z, which was anything but boring to be in; for some time I also had a '92 MR2, and then an '87 RX7, an '89 VW Jetta GLI 16V with race-type suspension, then I bought my Miata new in 2000 and drove it for 15 years until it got totaled and I bought the Jeep. Even the Jeep is not your boring commuter vehicle. It's like an adventure every time you get in it.

I put my GS in the same category. The point is not if I'm bored of riding. It's whether I can turn transportation, which can be drudgery, into something I enjoy and get some recreational or restorative value from. Just driving to work in my Miata was a thrill of sorts, and even if its not from the feel of driving it, it was the top down wind in your hair, sound of it, all that. The Jeep is kind of the same way. It's rough and noisy and imprecise but you can drive over a curb and never notice it was there and if I get sort of bored with it I just take the top and doors off and there's no way that's not some kind of crazy. The bike's the same way for me. It's just not commuting, or running an errand. It turns the act of going somewhere into something worth doing.

I'm sure rscottlow is in a similar boat with the new car and is getting that kind of non-drudgery out of his commuting and errands and finds the GS to be superfluous. I totally get that.

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
Thanks for all of the input! I'll probably suck it up and build the shed (who doesn't need more storage space?), and then I'll keep the GS for at least the rest of this riding season.

Running errands is a good excuse to go for a ride, though quick errands are likely to turn into me being gone for 45 minutes to an hour. The other issue is whether or not I have a kid tagging along.

As far as making it into a project, I think the time that would take is problem enough. I have a million projects I'd love to do, but lack the time and financial resources for all except those that are high priority (primarily home improvement stuff). Any extra money that I'm going to spend on my toys will probably be devoted to the VW at this point, as I'll get far more bang for my buck out of that.

Anyway, I love to ride, so keeping the bike around isn't a bad thing. Even if I'm only riding it a handful of times a year, at least it keeps me familiar and it's always there if I want it.
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »
Another thing I forgot to mention: as someone who also just bought a new car that I very much enjoy driving, I totally understand the feeling of wanting to drive the new toy rather than the old one.

After I got my FR-S, I drove it every day no matter the weather for almost a month. Just getting acquainted with the car, then just having fun. A rev matched downshift right before a corner, and a nicely executed upshift right after the corner feels SO satisfying in that car lol. Anyway, this past Saturday, the weather here was perfect for riding: ~75, not a cloud in the sky, low humidity. So, I pulled out the GS and went for a nice long ride. You know the saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder"? It was kind of like that. I had an absolute blast. It reminded me of why I wanted a bike in the first place. I feel like because I hadn't ridden in a while, I was more aware of what makes riding fun to me and was more focused on those things instead being focused on the minor inconveniences (getting stuck behind a slow car on twisty roads mostly lol). I'm not saying I'm going to actively try to ride less just to get this experience every time, but I do think that now I won't be as disappointed about not getting to ride for whatever reason (rain, running late, etc) because I know it'll just be that much more satisfying next time I do get to ride.

So for you, rscott, what I mean to say is that keeping the bike and only riding once in a while might make you appreciate each individual ride a bit more than you would if you rode it all the time. Or, at least that's one way you can look at it. :dunno_black:

Online mr72

• World Superbike Racer
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 08:45:38 PM »
yeah I forgot about the kid thing with running errands. We're empty nesters, and it's been a long time since I had little kids who would go with me to go grab an evening's worth of groceries or a movie from Redbox. That's prime moto time. I've almost got my wife convinced to try a scooter for the same purposes. If they connect the 100 yards of space with a road to connect my neighborhood with the prime shopping area in my town then I think my wife would do it in a heartbeat. It's just that <1 mile stretch of 65mph 6-lane highway is a bit intimidating for a noob on a 150cc scooter.

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
QC, that's a great way of looking at it. I've had the VW for six months now, and I still can't get enough of it -- I'm sure as I get back on the GS, that feeling will return for the bike as well. If not, then I guess my mind is made up, haha. Of course, we drive the Mazda most days for the sake of efficiency, even though it's pretty boring.

mr72, yeah the kids change everything haha. Even as a rider with several thousand miles under my belt, I wouldn't want to hop on a stretch of 65 MPH highway on a scooter  :icon_lol:
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
What to do with the GS...
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2018, 05:28:43 PM »
Well, the decision has been made. If any of you know someone in the Greater Cincinnati area looking for a GS, Iím your guy. Of course the price is OBO, especially for this audience.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2009-suzuki-gs500f-gs-500/6656533132.html?lang=en&cc=us

I hate the idea of selling it, but SBW is right. Iím not getting the level of enjoyment out of it that it deserves. Itís going to spend a majority of its time sitting based on my current circumstances, which arenít going to change drastically for at least several years. Iíll pass it along to someone else for now, and probably get back on a bike one day in the not too distant future. For now, today is a sad day.

The silver lining: Iím taking the family to Disney World next year, and the proceeds will put a nice dent in the cost of our trip. I guess thatís a silver lining of sorts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:35:35 AM by rscottlow »
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F

Offline Watcher

• What is this? I always know...
  • MotoGP Racer
  • MSF RiderCoach and Moto Enthusiast!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 02:10:46 AM »
If I wasn't after a track bike I'd be temped to fly out for it and ride it back.

I've driven from Chicago to Tucson in two days, I can do the same from Ohio on a bike.
"The point of a journey is not to arrive..."

-Neil Peart

Offline rscottlow

• AMA Superbike Racer
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 09:51:09 PM »
If I wasn't after a track bike I'd be temped to fly out for it and ride it back.

I've driven from Chicago to Tucson in two days, I can do the same from Ohio on a bike.

And Iíd be tempted to sell it to you! At least then Iíd know sheís in good hands. Iíve got a guy on his way to take a look now. I know Iím going to regret this, but at the same time I know itís the best decision for me right now.

Random side note, I drove from Ohio to LA in two days once. Lots of bad decisions and very little sleep involved with that escapade 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott - Cincinnati, Ohio
2009 GS500F