Author Topic: need help putting together a 92 GS500  (Read 136 times)

Offline farrowc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
need help putting together a 92 GS500
« on: July 10, 2018, 01:53:57 AM »
Hello all,

I just fell into a 1992 GS500, so I picked it up for the daughter to have a project that we could do together.  So far we go the bike home this afternoon and found that we have some items to square away on this thing. I am in the market for all of the parts on the handlebars to include handlebars. need the right side and left side switches. I am goin to have to change out the seat cover and a few odds and ends. Being that I n3ew on the board.. any suggestions besides get everything from e-bay?

Thanks in advance
Christian
04 VTX1300R, now 16 Harley Road Glide, 92 GS500 E

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
Re: need help putting together a 92 GS500
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 07:52:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum Christian!

Sounds like a great project. eBay is a good place to look for parts, no doubt. There are some part-out threads here too you could scroll through. If you need anything brand-new OEM, my preference is motosport.com... I'm a pinch-penny and they seem to always have the best prices.

Where are you located? If you're in the USA and need the stock heel guards and/or chain guard, I have them for sale.

You should start a project thread in the Projects/Builds section and share pics and info to show what you're doing :cheers:
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight & cowl, GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings

Offline farrowc

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:26:38 AM »
Happy to find this Forum..I had a few project bikes in the past.. latest one was my Honda VTX1300 and I bought it back from the insurance company for a mere 500 bucks after being run over by a truck. long story short.. The two daughters and I put it back together with the help of a friend and served me well for the next few years. I managed to put non-typical large bags on it and well it stood out from the rest of the bikes here in Albuquerque New Mexico. I had my fun with her.. and then life happened.. The daughter was coming up on graduating from high school and I always told her if she kept her grades up I would hold true on my end of the bargin and purchase her a car. Well that didn't seems to be in the cards for a blue collar working type at the time, with me healing still from the accident and money being tight.. So did the next best thing.. Put the bike up on the ol.. postings and within a day I had the first bite. Guy drove up with his son in law and purchased the honda outright. came up to the house and said I have never seen any bags like these and could we take it for a spin? putting the cash in hand he took it around the block and said where do we sign? so then the daughter got home and said what in the hell are you doing? you cant sell our bike dad.. what will you do with out a bike.. a day later she found out that dad is not defined by the bike he drives or doesn't drive he is defined on his actions. The next day after getting home from her graduation practice.. The daughter came back to the house to find her fist car sitting in front of the house. a Jeep Liberty with a bow on it. besides seeing the joy in her face she now knew what it was for dad to sell the bike they had worked on played on and why Dad had to sell her. so the Moral of the story is.. motorcycles are a great way of life but you have to put family first.. and things will work out. I have since bought the bike that I wanted for a while a Harley Road Glide for the next few chapters in my life..
So now begins her riding story, I was able to pick this bike up on the cheap from someone who didn't want or cared what they had. so new home and a new lease on life. The daughter and I are going to rip this down to the ground and put all new back on her polish her up and then she will have a bike to call her very own.
I hope to get to know more of you here on the forum. make some new friends around the country and possibly the other side of the world as well. looking to have a good bonding experience with the daughter putting her new bike together the way she want it.. and then from there take her down the road side by side from ralley to ralley or day trip when the urge hits us.

Offline farrowc

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:09:35 AM »
where to find handlebars that are decent for this bike and then onto the handlebar switches, when I got this ting they were all hacked up and need new left and right switches.?? where do I go for htese parts?

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 02:08:34 PM »
where pics???  don't forget that rg too ;) (please)
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:50:31 PM »
I have "superbike" bars on my GS. They are slightly lower than stock but really comfy and inexpensive. You can get them from the parts sites... here's an example:
https://www.motosport.com/bikemaster-78-superbike-bar

The switches probably cost a fortune new OEM... so eBay would be the best bet I'd imagine.

If you want to browse around OEM parts for your '92, here's a link with your bike already entered in:
https://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/oem-parts/suzuki/1992/gs500et
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight & cowl, GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings

Offline farrowc

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 09:36:21 PM »
THANKS to everyone who has pointed me in the right direction. The project will start with the daughter and I listing out everything she wants to get done, then we go deep diving into everythign safety wise to make sure the bike is safe, Tire, bearing replacement, sprockets getting changed out as well as anything and everything on the wiring.. Who knows might be a completed wiring harness replacement depending on what we find. We will start a project page and show you what kinid of condition we got it in and the progress it makes in the future until it is up and running safely as her "New" to her bike.. nothing better than getting a bike and keeping it out of the salvage yard and putting back on the road.
Thanks again everyone.. I'm sure I will be on here asking questions and seeing if any of you have certian parts.

Offline J_Walker

• World Superbike Racer
  • EST 01/22/1994
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 09:51:09 PM »
if you need a new rear rotor. I gotcha.  :laugh:
I also have handlebars, but its a set that requires you to have longer brake lines.
-Walker