Author Topic: Oil leak started after K&N lunchbox install  (Read 79 times)

Offline Blueoval78

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Oil leak started after K&N lunchbox install
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:28:49 PM »
Hello everyone, I just installed a Dynojet stage 3 kit with a K&N lunchbox filter.  Bike runs perfect, however oil has started leaking from the right front lower side of the engine.  Hard to say exactly where but it seems to be from one of the case bolts near the generator cover.  At any rate, it leaks on the exhaust and smokes.  The leak only occurs when I ride (not at idle) and at this point, is rather minor in nature. 

Could this be a case of excessive crankcase pressure forcing oil out?  With the K&N install, I installed a generic breather cover filter on the end of the pipe that used to go to the airbox and am wondering if it is not free flowing enough and increasing crankcase pressure?

Offline qcbaker

• World Supersport Racer
Re: Oil leak started after K&N lunchbox install
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »
I don't really see how an intake mod would increase crankcase pressure. My bet is that the oil leak is unrelated to your other mods. But, I could be wrong. :dunno_black:

Offline tobyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 09:19:01 PM »
does it still do it if you vent the crankcase to the atmosphere rather than through some filter? Not a solution but will tell you if your suspicion is correct?

Offline Blueoval78

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 01:53:11 AM »
Ok, so after further examination looks like I need a new right side engine case gasket.  It appears to be leaking near one of the bolts.  Probably a coincidence that it started leaking after the mods.  Next question, is it hard to replace this gasket - meaning, should I be aware of any special tricks or anything when popping off this cover?

Offline sledge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Motorcycle God!
  • He's Mr Brightside
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:27:41 AM »
Nothing difficult about getting the cover off.
You need to disconnect and remove the trigger and pickups first. While you are at it you may want to consider replacing the oil seal behind it while you have easy access to it. Also disconnect The oil pressure switch.

Don't be tempted to pry the cover off, if it sticks tap it with a soft mallet to break the bond.

The old gasket can be very difficult to remove. I don't like scraping the remnants off the mating surfaces because of the risk of damage and my tip is paint stripper. Dab it on with an artist's brush and after a few minutes the gasket will soften up and can be wiped off. Obviously and it goes without saying that you don't want to get it on any painted surfaces.

Offline tobyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 11:31:49 AM »
Which side do you mean by Right?

The generator cover is the Left if you are sat on the bike facing forward (in case you ride facing backwards :))

The right is the crank bolt, timing mark, and clutch.

I've only gone behind the left (getting the engine back into the frame was only going to easily happen with this cover removed) and was an exercise in patience removing the old gasket. Nothing interesting behind it otherwise. Because its all aluminium or some alloy thereof you can't use any metal tools / razor blades with any force or you'll wreck the surfaces. Gasket remover might work well, I didn't have any. A brass wheel in a dremel might work too, a real brass wheel (that isn't 'magnetic brass') seems harder to find that it should be. real dremel ones seem to be, others seem to be something else with brass coating. pays money / takes choice.

The Right hand side is more complex as you'll need to remove the signal / timing wheel.

remember to remove the oil first too :)