Author Topic: 1997 gs500e carbs  (Read 421 times)

Offline jc513

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
1997 gs500e carbs
« on: September 18, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
Hey all,

I'm currently rebuilding my uncle's 1997 gs500e to ride as my very first bike, but it's been sitting for the better part of 9 years, so the carbs need to be cleaned. I took them apart and it looks pretty bad, probably going to have to get a rebuild kit. Are there any recommendations for good rebuild kits? I've seen some that come with jets and others that don't. I'm also wondering if I should take this opportunity to put better/larger jets in the carbs to help the idle and such. Any advice?

Offline Kilted1

• Formula Extreme Racer
Re: 1997 gs500e carbs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 03:09:22 AM »
Unless you're changing the air box and/or the exhaust, the standard jets should be fine.  You'll want to replace the jets, needle valves, jet needle and emulsion tube, etc.  More importantly you should replace ALL the O-rings as the smallest of air leaks can cause no end of headaches.

I can't recommend any kit over another.  Someone else probably can though.  What I can say is that dealer kits are expensive and the e-bay and amazon kits may or may not have everything in them.

Offline herennow

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:36:19 AM »
Hi JC513, in what way do they look bad? Dirty, or worn? How many miles on the bike?

With respect to previous poster unless your bike has over 50 000 miles, I would not replace any hardware except orings. Some parts do wear a litle, but it's very rare to need to change them.

Most important is to make sure diapragm is in good condition without any perforation.

Feel free to post pics as that can help a lot to advise correctly.

I would shim the needle 1mm as a matter of course.

Do a search on the forum for carb rebuild kits, it gets discussed quite often.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:38:20 AM by herennow »

Offline mr72

• MotoGP Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »

Offline jc513

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 08:18:55 PM »
Hi JC513, in what way do they look bad? Dirty, or worn? How many miles on the bike?

With respect to previous poster unless your bike has over 50 000 miles, I would not replace any hardware except orings. Some parts do wear a litle, but it's very rare to need to change them.

Most important is to make sure diapragm is in good condition without any perforation.

They have been sitting for about a decade with a half tank of bad gas and stabilizer, so it's all gummed up with bad gas and potentially rust particles since there was a healthy amount of rust inside the tank. I believe the miles are somewhere around 18k-19k miles since it was mostly used as a commuter bike. I'll try and add pictures when I can, since the bike is currently at a buddies garage since I don't have the tools needed at my own place. Usually can only find time to work on it during the weekend.

Offline Kilted1

• Formula Extreme Racer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 04:10:05 AM »

Excellent point on the diaphragms! 

If the brass bits still look like brass, then they can likely be cleaned and reused without issue.  Some judgement is in order there.  When the bike has been sitting that long, as mine was, the brass is probably going to look green.  In which case it's probably easier to just replace.