Author Topic: Another suspension thread.  (Read 649 times)

Offline Cincykz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AMA Supersport Racer
Another suspension thread.
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
I am about 210 geared up.
My plan for my 04 gs minus fairings:

Bridgestone battleaxe s20 evos 110/140

Sonic springs .90 (.85?)
Fork brace
Braided line

2006 Katana 750 shock?
I've searched and seen mixed results for this, will I have clearance issues? Should I just go with a kat 600 shock? I found a 2006 k750 remote reservoir shock that I'm tempted to buy.

I'm looking for a fairly sport oriented set up. Searched around a bit but it seems the kat600 shock is covered a lot more than the 750.

Thanks folks!

Offline mr72

• World Superbike Racer
  • Musician, Engineer, Sci-Fi Author
    • Josh's Books
Re: Another suspension thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
I have similar situation to you. 0.90 sonic springs with 15wt oil and a Kat600 rear shock, no preload. Works great.

I think a remote reservoir shock may present clearance issues, but I can't confirm. I can confirm the kat600 shock works well.

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »
I went with the 06 kat 750 shock. I suspect it will fit, we will see when it shows up. Also ordered my s20's, .90 springs, and 15wt fork oil. Now just need to source a good fork brace.

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:38:52 PM »
Hey shock masters, installing my 2006 kat750 shock to my 04 gs500 to replace my blown out old one and compliment my .90/15w front end. Shock spring touches front of swingarm by about one metric hair and the bottom shock bolt won't line up by about 1mm give or take. Wherabouts can I fenagle for clearance or grind stuff?

Also interesting note, my crummy gs shock allowed the rear tire to touch the ground on center stand, the kat750 shock holds the tire about an inch off ground (seems right).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 02:39:18 AM »
Just a follow-up, it appears I will have to clearance the front of the swingarm, there doesnt seem to be another way. Will update with results tomorrow. With top bolt and linkage bolt in, bottom shock bolt is off by 1mmish and coil touches swingarm. Hopefully there is plenty of steel at the front of the swingarm.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 05:04:38 AM »
Hi Cincykz,

Do you have stock dogbones on your GS? Sometimes you have to loosen the linkage and also have a friend lift up/push down gently on the tail of the bike to fiddle everything into lining up.

Also, did you check out the wiki page about rear shocks? The Katana 600 shock is the one most people in the past have swapped to but I did recently update the page with some 750 info. It is for a pre-1995 Kat 750 shock though.
http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Upgrades.RearShock

When you finish your install, could you take some pictures of what you modified and how it finally fits? I'd like to add the info to the wiki.

There is some meat to the swingarm so you shouldn't have any problems there. I had to grind some metal off of it back when I had the R6 shock on my bike along with shorter (raising) links. The R6 shock alone was fine but when I added the shorter links, the spring needed some clearance.

From what I can remember back when I had the stock shock on my bike, the 1" clearance between the rear tire (stock size rear tire to be specific) and the ground while on the center stand sounds about right. That is wild how your stock shock let the rear tire touch the ground while on the center stand!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:07:59 AM by ShowBizWolf »
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight & cowl, GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »
ShowBiz, I've been wondering if I have a clearance problem due to lowering links. I assume they're stock dogbones, but don't really know because I'm the ?th owner of a pretty ratty gs. They don't look aftermarket. Does anybody know the length of the factory ones, overall or eye eye to eye? I will measure mine this morning. I will certainly take pics as well.

I've always liked including pictures but I've been avoiding it because my pics always seem too big here and I have to crrop them down super low res to post. Is there a secret I don't know? I see many others posting super hi res pics so i feel it's probably operator error on my part, lol.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:56:41 PM by Cincykz »

Offline Jim Knopf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
  • The Outlaw
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 01:42:10 PM »
Servus,

Dogbones Factory: 180 mm eye/eye.

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
Thanks Jim, mine are stock. Took a hair off of my swingarm, shock bolted up with some wiggling, but the spring still makes contact and won't compress. I'll have to grind out a touch more, unfortunately I'm going a way for a couple of days, will update upon my return.

Offline Bluesmudge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • World Superbike Racer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 06:57:12 PM »
I think Ď06 is the wrong year. I canít remember the Katana version history but I think you want a Kat650 or 750 shock from the 90s  Those fit without modifying anything.

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 10:06:28 PM »
Hmm. Well I was able to bolt in my k750 shock, it's a real nice unit. Had to grind off the paint and a hair of metal, just used a stone. It bolted up, but still touches when on the center stand. I don't feel comfortable grinding any substantiave amount of metal, so I put the stock unit back in. I think I will try a kat 600 shock, which I have seen is a drop in. Its a shame to lose the remote res and all the adjustment of the 750 shock, which is of way nicer construction than the gs shock.

Also for reference, 06 kat 750 shock is the same length eye to eye, and the remote reservoir is not an issue in terms of clearance, the spring is just a hair too wide. If anyone who has a kat 600 shock and wants to trade for a nice shape 06 750 shock, let me know.

Offline ShowBizWolf

• Ninja turtle...in a van
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • MotoGP Racer
  • Support Shelly's rescue at tinykittens.com
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 06:05:35 AM »

I've always liked including pictures but I've been avoiding it because my pics always seem too big here and I have to crrop them down super low res to post. Is there a secret I don't know? I see many others posting super hi res pics so i feel it's probably operator error on my part, lol.

The forum's upload thing has been full for years, unfortunately. To post pics in a thread, you hafta upload them to another site (like imgur, for example... it's the one I use) and then link them in your message/reply.

Also, check out this sticky thread for more info:
http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=60218.0
Superbike bars, '04 GSXR750 headlight & cowl, GSXR1000 signals, Chuck81 fork brace, '05 Busa fender, stainless exhaust & brake lines, belly pan, LED dash & brake bulbs, 140/80 rear hoop, F tail lens, SV650 shock, Bandit400 hugger, aluminum heel guards & pegs, fork preload adjusters, .75 SonicSprings

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
Hey all, know its been a while. The long winter has gotten me antsy up here, so I took another swing at the gsx750 shock. A little work on the front of the swingarm with a small grinder, and my k750 shock is installed.  There's tons of steel in the front of the swingarm and it's good stuff, only a negligible amount had to be removed to clear the lowest spring coil.

There is about 0 clearance while topped out on the centerstand, and it increases as the shock compresses.

Still snow and ice here, haven't ridden it yet.

Offline Jim Knopf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AMA Superbike Racer
  • The Outlaw
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 10:00:36 PM »
Servus,

Any Pics from the Swing???

Offline cbrfxr67

• Some day I'll finish my projects
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MotoGP Racer
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 04:12:15 PM »
i second that,....where pics? :dunno_black:
"Its something you take apart in 2-3 days and takes 10 years to go back together."
-buddha

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 10:31:45 PM »
Pics forthcoming
I already have it back together and I sprayed the ground spots black, I am going to draw in what was there before I ground as a reference. The clearance is super tight, but the only possible contact is at no load with back wheel hanging.

When I get to work I will edit and upload

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 04:46:00 PM »
Attached is from bottom
Red line is approx original corner
"Smoothed" with a grinder between two green lines

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »
View from top
Small amount of material taken from front facing side of swingarm (horizontal face facing middle of shock spring)
Smoothed with 4"grinder from bottom, then small rounded channel in middle with round stone on a drill, between two red dots.

I should have taken pics before I sprayed...

Offline Cincykz

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »
Very little metal was removed, just enough to clear. A couple mm total, maybe 2.5 at the channel, but I doubt it.

The shock does feel quite stiff sitting on it. Will update when winter breaks and I can ride it.