Author Topic: No power!  (Read 117 times)

Offline mattcymru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
No power!
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »
Went to start my gs yesterday, turned the key and no lights! Battery is less than 12 months old and always connected to an optimate. What can I look at? Where are the fuses? I have little bike skills but happy to have a go!

Offline Kilted1

• AMA Supersport Racer
Re: No power!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 08:41:24 PM »
When was it last running and do you have and know how to use a multi-meter?  Or have some way of testing to see that your battery is okay?  Just because the battery is fairly new doesn't mean it's any good.  Also maintenance chargers are great but can still cook a battery.  Presuming a standard battery, does it have an appropriate level of juice in it?

It could be a fuse, bad ignition switch, corroded wiring, loose connection, or many things aside from the battery but that's always a place to start for electrical issues.  If you can't test it yourself, you can remove it and any auto-parts store will test it for you.  Or you could try jump starting it from another vehicle.

Offline mattcymru

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 08:46:44 PM »
Last running about 6 weeks ago, I don't have a multi mater or know how to use one is it difficult? Where do I find fuses?

Offline Kilted1

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 08:04:38 PM »
If it sat for 6 weeks, there's a fair chance the battery is just flat.  Which means your optimate is dead also (which isn't unusual, they're not very well built.)  Try a jump start or a different charger.

Offline mattcymru

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 08:10:12 PM »
Oh I thought optimate where good? Eg. Keep it trickling and nice conditioned battery! I'm taking it to a friend to test battery Friday.

Offline mattcymru

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 03:17:07 PM »
I'm back in business! The 20a fuse was corroded, guessing the original. Used the spare and all fine. What a pain to get at though and the case for the fuse was really difficult to open!

Offline Armandorf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Local Club Racer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »
Dont forget to leave a spare one! 
Having to create a fuse out of wires is a bit,.... embarassing to say the least.

Offline mattcymru

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 04:07:37 PM »
Already ordered a spare :) does anyone else find it difficult to open the fuses?

Offline Kilted1

• AMA Supersport Racer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 04:22:08 PM »
Oh I thought optimate where good? Eg. Keep it trickling and nice conditioned battery! I'm taking it to a friend to test battery Friday.

I don't know the brand Optimate in particular.  Maybe they're awesome.  My experience with maintenance chargers has been less than stellar.  Usually they just quit working but I've seen them cook batteries too.  It's still a good idea just my bad luck I guess.

Glad to hear you got your issue sorted!

Offline mattcymru

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »
Thanks, a friend put a meter on my battery before I discovered the fuse and there was a solid 12.5v so unless this killed the fuse its working OK. If attachments worked on here I'd upload a pic!

Offline Armandorf

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 08:25:45 PM »
Already ordered a spare :) does anyone else find it difficult to open the fuses?
NO, in fact, its too easy, like it was opened too much.

Offline mattcymru

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 10:21:51 PM »
I assume u should just unclip it and pull apart? What's metal cylinder thing attached too that goes in the little rubber pocket?

Offline Armandorf

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 04:08:05 AM »
That cylindrical thing is the starter motor relay.  When you hit the starter switch and all the path is connnected(clutch  switch, kill switch) it Will send 12v to the solenoid(two thin wires) and the positive of the battery Will connect with the motor(two big ones) . So you hear a click and the motor starts. Clicking really fast will revela the sound before the motor starts.

Offline Numewsm

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 10:15:50 AM »
I'm back in business! The 20a fuse was corroded, guessing the original. Used the spare and all fine. What a pain to get at though and the case for the fuse was really difficult to open!
Mine did exactly the same. It was corroded so I cleaned it up but keep blowing them every day. Turned out it was the rectifier which was breaking down. Replaced that and has been fine since.