Author Topic: Front and Rear LED Lights  (Read 288 times)

Offline LewisB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Local Club Racer
Front and Rear LED Lights
« on: February 12, 2019, 12:56:53 AM »
I know this has been posted about heaps and I have spent half a day going through the posts but nothing has seemed to solve anything for me.

I have bought LEDs for front and back, the Front are just standard 12v LEDs, the rear ones are also 12v LEDs but are progressive. I have changed the flasher to a LED Flasher however when I put the indicator on at all all 4 come on, the back 2 do their progressive thing and the front 2 just stay on and slightly dim. The indicator light on the instrument cluster is extremely dim but also flashes on/off.

Any help would be appreciated on what to try next. The bike is a 2009 GS500F.

Offline Falken Hawke

• Local Club Racer
Re: Front and Rear LED Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:45:19 AM »
The turn signal indicator bulb need a pair of diodes installed as well when changing all 4 turn signal bulbs to LED.

Explained:  https://www.customdynamics.com/media/wysiwyg/product_instructions/MDK_Tech_sheet_printer_friendly_version_.pdf

Any 1N400X diode will do, you don't need a "kit" but if you don't normally do wiring, electronics, etc., it'll keep one from collecting a bunch of stuff that won't be used very often.
Shyamalan said it was his kids that told him about Avatar, and that it was they that urged him to make the film.

Conclusion: Shyamalan hates his kids.
-jollyjack on Deviant Art-

Offline LewisB

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 09:00:59 PM »
The turn signal indicator bulb need a pair of diodes installed as well when changing all 4 turn signal bulbs to LED.

Explained:  https://www.customdynamics.com/media/wysiwyg/product_instructions/MDK_Tech_sheet_printer_friendly_version_.pdf

Any 1N400X diode will do, you don't need a "kit" but if you don't normally do wiring, electronics, etc., it'll keep one from collecting a bunch of stuff that won't be used very often.

Not all 4 come on anymore. I removed the idiot light bulb and replaced it with an LED and now it does left and right but the front donít flash and have constant power. The back are progrsssive so they are flashing on their own relay. How would I make the front ones flash? I have a 30w flasher unit plugged in

Offline Falken Hawke

• Local Club Racer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 02:58:52 AM »
Data on the exact LED's in question are in order.

Remove the indicator bulb, signals should function normally.  If they do not, remove the rear signals and test again.

If they do work, reinstall the original relay and the incandescent rear signals and test.  The flash rate should be rapid.  If it is not, there are loads (resistors) installed on the signals and have to be removed for a full LED setup to work.  Repeat this test with rear LED signals and front incandescents.

Of course, if one has a multimeter, just test for resistance on the LED's and compare with a light bulb.

Once all that is sorted, reinstall the LED indicator and test.  Signals should only work properly in one direction.
Shyamalan said it was his kids that told him about Avatar, and that it was they that urged him to make the film.

Conclusion: Shyamalan hates his kids.
-jollyjack on Deviant Art-